Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM interchange number for steering column part needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutter_street_rodder, Aug 3, 2015.

1. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

After 40 years in my '40 Ford, the 1960 Oldsmobile steering column has worn out the lower column bearing. Closest I can come to finding a replacement is that it is Saginaw p/n 5674067, which is the bearing and a "cup" mounting assy on bottom of column.
    Needless to say I don't want to spend $150 - $165 on eBay for their part.... Is there anyone who knows if another GM division used that bearing? It looks like the '60 Chevy and Corvette part.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. oldolds

oldolds

Go to a bearing place with that number. Look up bearings, belts, and drives in the yellow pages, traditional way, or on your phone. They should be able to get you fixed up.

4. squirrel

squirrel

uhhh...a bearing shop will not have this.

bearing.JPG

5. F&J

F&J

My newest Olds book is 1958, so I can't verify your number, or see what it looks like

I bet you don't want to take the bearing out yet? for a picture, ..... because maybe someone can compare to see if it works/installs like a 60s Chevy.

6. squirrel

squirrel

pic I posted is NOS on ebay for $150. That's what it looks like. Don't look like no Chevy.

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure and I am a looooong ways from home but if memory serves me you probably can go to a good hardware store and find a similar bearing. Or at least one that will work and under five bucks. That's what I did to build a steering column and if I remember correctly I got that info right here on the HAMB

8. stimpy

stimpy

don't be suprised squirrel what you can find at a bearing shop ( motion industries) ,. often you can take the part down to them and they can measure it and find a suitable replacement . my guys can get me OEMstyle NLA bearings for lots of the weird crap I work on .

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

After some research I bought a lower bearing to suit my local Ozzie 70s GM column in my 35 Chevy, turned out to be an early solid column Corvette, the upper bearing from memory was something similar. Both were listed as obsolete down here so I just grabbed the verniers and measured away.

10. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

What I am hoping for is a breakdown of the assembly parts. It consists of a "cup" holding the bearing. I am thinking the bearing is a standard Saginaw (GM) part across the divisions.
    I have popped the bearing out of the "cup" mounting, there are no bearing numbers on it. Visually it looks like the '60's Chevy.
    Dimensions are 1.197" dia (where presses into "cup") in pic opposite end
    The end shown in pic is 1.410" (larger to stop at end of "cup" mounting
    Bore is .750"
    Height is .501"
    Tried asking dealers of Chevy bearings for dimensions and nobody wants to help. One guy said he sells a plastic sleeve to replace it for $90, but diddn't offer any other help.

11. squirrel

squirrel

what is the outside diameter of the "cup", where it fits into the column? there aren't many bearings that have that large of a bore size, and that small of an OD. Might be able to replace the whole assembly with just a bearing, but it would need to have an OD that fits directly into the end of the column. And you might need to do something to control end movement.

12. 2racer

2racer

13. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

14. since you have the dimensions i suggest you machine one out of brass , or use the bearing 2racer suggested and machine a spacer

15. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

the "cup" od is 2.256" with a flange lip at 2.390"
    And I'm checking on that go-kart bearing to see if its flange or smaller stepped dia at 1.375"
    Pic of dash shows what I did in 1966 to my pu. I just love the deep Oldsmobile wheel..... oh, and those gauges were bought back then too.