Register now to get rid of these ads!

History GM Concept L'UNIVERSIALLE Van

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 100% Matt, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Here's a few more pics of the L'UNIVERSIALLE (that have yet to be posted):

L'Universelle A Dream Truck.jpg GMC_1955_L'UniverselleConcept.jpg GM L'UNIVERSELLE (Jan '62).JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Interesting. I've never looked that closely at this thing before. The radiator is behind the driver. Cooling air intake is in the roof with a duct right behind the drivers head. I expect the cooling air exited under the car. The drivers compartment is separate from the passenger/cargo area. i never realized it was front wheel drive. That would leave a nice big flat floor cargo area. Neat design but I bet overheating would be a problem.

3. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I wonder if that thing would've been the Pontiac Aztek of it's day.

4. Here's the complete L'Universelle - Front Wheel Drive in '55 article that appeared in the August '82 issue of Special Interest Autos:

SIA-Aug82-pg18.jpg SIA-Aug82-pg19.jpg SIA-Aug82-pg20.jpg
    SIA-Aug82-pg21.jpg SIA-Aug82-pg22.jpg SIA-Aug82-pg23.jpg

5. Church

Church
    from South Bay

That rules beyond belief.

6. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

It still exists!!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. rixrex

rixrex

As far as the "Nomad" style roof and B pillars, what was the timeline here? did this come first and lead to the Waldorf Nomad Corvette? or was the Corvette first and lead to the van?

8. 65Riviera

65Riviera

That is one fantastic piece of steel.. Although I'm back and forth with the grill...:D

9. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

That red one looks like it escaped from the "Cars" cartoon movie!

10. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Well.... It kinda did, if you really beat around the bush. You see, they made the concept car which is probably still around, some where. Or GM did what they do every once in a while and scrapped it. Just trashed such a cool ride. :(

But in very limited numbers, like 2 or 3 (they usually make a couple extras because one can only be spread so thin and in case anything were to happen to it) So who knows, someone may just stumble across it. You could contact people at GM (which is a pain in the ass) and ask what they did with it, and if they still have the prototype, could you buy it? Who knows?

11. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I like it!!
    would love to see this thing in person

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Best van ever!!!
    it would take quite a metal man to pull this build off. The folding side door is trick.
    The photo hemi 32 posted looks like they started with a 57 Pontiac 4 dr and stretched it.TONS of work. Maybe start with a 4 dr. wagon and utilize the roof.

Attached Files:

13. Toner283

Toner283

Cool concept. anybody found a decent shot of the rear? the taillights look interesting but you cant see them very clearly.

14. I'm not a Van guy, but this thing is kool! I'd gladly own one if it was produced!

15. In the words of tommy Chong - Nice van, man!!!

16. I found only this pic.
    [​IMG]

17. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

That thing rules!

18. customcory

customcory

Heres when I was thinking of making a model of it loosely based on it. I was using 55 Cameo and Nomad body sections, 55 chevy truck cab roof moved foward, might do it someday.

[​IMG]

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Cory, I once saw an in progress photo of a model of this. I'm pretty Sure it was by Juha Airio. Poked around but couldn't locate the pic,

20. I seem to remember reading somewhere(a LONG time ago)that there were two of them made and they were both scrapped.Too bad as it was one of the best(my opinion)looking vehicles ever to hit the show circuit.

21. phqnflt

phqnflt
    from NOR CAL

Bad Asss!!!!!!!!!