Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM A vs B body platforms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hello I'm considering another car. And the platform matters to me because I dont plan on keeping it original. I would like to swap the engine for something bigger for example a 425 olds, BBC or bb cadillac. Manual transmission and posi traction. Can someone please give me some insight on choosing the best platform based on aftermarket, affordability, and engine swap friendly platforms.
    Im considering the b body from 1960+ for an example we can say it's a 64 pontiac catalina coupe. And the a body from 1964 we could say it's a 64 olds f85. Also if some one could tell me the cons of the x frame, are the a death trap like I've heard? Do most engine swaps on the x frame need the frame notched, how does that affect the car??

Thank you. I just want a good starting point because my plan is build a nice st car that's somewhat safe so I can do donuts and pealouts

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

3. squirrel

squirrel

GM full size cars were different between divisions up through 1970. In 1971 they went to a standard design. The bodies themselves were pretty similar as far as the glass, etc but the frames and suspension were different.

Mid size cars (starting in 1964) were pretty much all the same between divisions.

I don't really know for sure what you're asking, though....

4. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I'm asking which platform would be best to build on. Which of the 3 would pose less problems. Thanks man for always helping

5. squirrel

squirrel

You'll find more aftermarket performance stuff for the mid size cars. You'll also get more performance out of them just because they're lighter.

I would pick a car based on how it looks...but I'm kind of picky about looks.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

:confused: and o_O ? Can you go backwards for a moment. What do you want to put A or B under ? And, what's wrong with what's already under what's there ?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

8. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Johnny Gee likes this.
  9. First of all, full size Pontiac didn't use an X frame after 1960.
    Chevy used it until 64. If you don't put a 283 or 327 in one of those, you'll get crap from everyone here.
    If you don't put a Pontiac in a Pontiac, you'll get crap from me!
    Now, pick the body style you like, and we'll go from there...and no more "foreign cars" , like unit body F85's.
    Capisce' ?

10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

11. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Ur way to serious, slow down and breath lol, he won't get crap from me BC of the engine choice he makes for what ever car he puts it in I say live and let ride, he's not asking u to build it he's asking which car would be best to build when it comes to parts availability and and price with the least a mount of problems so if u don't have anything constructive to say then maybe just maybe u need to find a forum u can complain about ponchos getting BBC motors stuck in them or a ford bb if I still has my thirtyone five window I'd be driving it around with a bbc or a three hundred six popper from ford which is totally my choice not anyone else's so why criticize him for what he hasn't even decided to build? Why not instead guide him along and let him decide for himself, jmo hotrod Harry

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

12. Not everyone, just the purists. Same for Poncho. Those of us that are actually real died in the wool hotrodders don't care as long as it improves the performance. Uh, to a point, some of us still draw the line at LS and Mod motors for a traditional-ish car. But I have also found that many of the experts don't really know what they are looking at anyway, so you can always take the don't ask don't tell approach.

I had one of those really smart hot rodders show up right after I bought this and say, "Wow, cool, what ya gonna shove that 454 into?"

[​IMG] (see note :D)

I never ruined his day. ya know what they say ignorance is bliss.

As far as platform, the chassis don't really interchange from one GM car to another for anything that would be era appropriate for this board. Not even within brand. For example, you couldn't just bolt a Bonneville chassis under an Impala. or an Impala under a Chevelle.

nearly all of them will accept the motor from another, but it is not going to be a bolt in. But thats hotrodding, you don't just open a catalog and build one. You have to learn a one simple word and burn it into your brain if you are going to make it in this world.

"ThiMk"

It really isn't that difficult. End of the day its all just nuts and bolts. You can mix n match some and hot rod any of them if you are just a little bit creative. No es tan dificil ese. If you get lost just ask. Whatever you want to screw together has already been done by someone.

*Note: that 454 :rolleyes: would be fine as frog hair in a '64 Chevelle post car or a Tempest if one was interested in going all GM.

13. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hi D&P,
    I thought you already had two '63 Oldsmobiles?
    Anyhow, The "A" body chassis (1964-1972) is the same for all GM divisions. TONS of parts made for those and probably the most cost effective to build and easiest to build.
    Yes, for some stupid reason, the GM "B" body had different chassis for each division in the 60s. The Chevrolet "B" body would be the most cost effective to build. Performance chassis parts and interiors are available, but outside sheetmetal maybe a problem, depending on the year. And for other GM divisions it gets worse from there.
    BTW, I've been a proud owner of 1967 B-Bodies for 30 years.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not that I was that exited about it, but what happened to your Marlin plan?
    You kinda seem to be all over the board with your project searches here.

15. Hold on a minute here , Skippy. Maybe "ur" the one who's being "to" serious.
    The o/p and I have been corresponding, and I've been trying to help get him on track with a project that will match his current level of expertise, which what a said to him in my last post.
    He's been jumping around with different projects and ideas, and a few of us have been trying to help.
    "U" , we know nothing about, except for the 113 posts in 3 weeks time. I see you'd like to send me off somewhere else, but not likely to happen. Maybe it is you who ought to slow down a bit so you can absorb what goes on here.
    Now , some of us more "seasoned" members have a bit of brand loyalty, especially when it comes to 60's muscle type cars. Of course , you can put a BBC Chevy in a GTO, with a straight axle, and fake spindle mounts. That doesn't mean some of us will like it, but "u" don't care, so what's the problem?
    Carry on...

16. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

So Thanks for everyone's input and I am glad the thread had more post today, i felt like it was to young to die.

So as far as Markyac said we have been in correspondence as well as other from the hamb. So Butchcoat1969 may be you did over react a little but I see where you are coming from. I personally not a purist but i would never be disloyal to GM. Even tho I might look a marlin.
    Mark said it right when people have been trying to help me with a project that will match my experience.. because well I ask.

BigDogSS. I do have 2 olds but Ive learned that they are not for me. I picked the wrong year. They are nice cars for what they are but like I said I'm not a purist. They are unibody in structure, 4bolt wheels, both rear end and front end need to go, engine bay is small. Its just not the best car for me to start on and price wise I'm no Tim Allen.

DDDenny' I am all over the place for now, be patient with me. I ask question because I respect the knowledge on this forum and because I'm not scared to. I never been shy to ask the "stupid question" you could say. Once I get my answers then I'll buckle down on one project.

PorkNbeaner - so this is my pedo---->translation----> (My situation. I know a man with a lot of old cars who me and I have developed a cool relationship. Up for grabs for me are a
    All coupes.
    64 skylark(a body)
    64 catalina ( b body)
    60 electra (don't know the platform)
    55 buick hardtop ( don't know the platform but suspect it's an X?
    65 buick special.
    Those cars are all 2000$ range expet the electra at 3500..
    Now these years interest me.
    But I just wanted to know the pros and cons I guess of trying to build one up as far as engine swaps ( because some don't have engines and some I wouldnt want), suspension. Etc.
    I want to abuse my car. That is my goal. Any insight why alot of races I go to the tri 5's have a hard time saying in line? Issues like this is what I wanted to know.

One more question as far as trim that is very hard to find. Would an experienced fabricator be able to fab on up?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  17. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

See my comments in RED:
    All coupes. Good start :)
    64 skylark(a body) #1a pick
    64 catalina ( b body) Cool
    60 electra (don't know the platform) C-body
    55 buick hardtop ( don't know the platform but suspect it's an X?) B-body (Roadmaster is a C-body)
    65 buick special. #1b pick. This is also an A-body.

For what you wan to do --> high performance driving + a trip to the drag strip every once in a while, an A-body car looks to fit your wants the best. Both the 64 and 65 Buick's would fit the need. Good luck!

18. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

20. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like you need to to pick a body style that "you" like...after all we wont be driving your car.
    The early chevelle plate forum has lots of after market support as far as one would want to go.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

64-67 Malibu/Chevelle, tons of aftermarket, easiest engine swap, uber popular (meaning very, not taxi svc).
    Same LeMans GTO platform and nearly as large an aftermarket. The biggest issue with those 2 will be the ante, or cost of admisson. Popular also means supply and demand apply. Sedan versions are 2nd tier picks, usually by someone with little $$$$$, patience or both.
    Same series Olds, the better the F-85/442 the more $$$$ and yet there's not a lot of aftermarket. The Chevelle chassis parts are a nut n bolt swap so upgrades there are easy. Interiors, trim, select hard parts under the hood, not so much. These are all 64-5 variants that we welcome here and some of the later ones get a pass too if styled right. Show up with DUBS or DONK status, well, let's not go there.

Full size GM models like the 65 Impala/Super Sport have been given a pass now n then, again if they're styled right. A sedan in that model fitted with 4 spd and BBC in old school dress is about as good as it gets for the street racer vibe. Again though, the ante is higher. See a pattern here? The more popular for reasons that need ZERO explaination are going to be the most expensive. 'X' frame cars can be built just fine. A couple bars here n there on the frame along the rockers, well now you're full perimeter, yes?
    3 major abilities will be needed, mechanical/fab apptitude, $$$$$ and dedicated work space. This is why you'll always hear this; buy the absolute best car you can afford. Don't settle, don't be impatient, ask serious questions, do your research. Forget "sounds kool" and don't listen to 25 opinionated fucks who can't decide what species of drive-thru they want on a given night. Narrow it down to serious types, but YOU have to be serious. Energy and time are at a premium when your hair's grey and your bones ache. Understand? Helpful? Sorry to be so blunt but this ain't shit. Wait til you start really shopping. You'll meet the kind of asshole you never knew was out there...:eek:

23. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Well 3days later and I'm leaning more towards the A, but cars like the 63 grand prix, catalina and impala b bodys. pull me back. I got one of my olds getting sold this Saturday, I won't rush into another car agian. I'm actually getting more money back from the sale. Thanks everyone for your help, I have been reading my thread over and over

24. desotot

desotot

The A body ran from 64 to 72. We put a big inch smogger caddy in a Cutlass years ago using the th350 and it would roast the tires.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

GM used the A - B - C body system from the 30s up to 1958. After that it kind of fell apart. One year only, 1959, every car they made was a variation of one body. Next year they added Corvair, that made 2. Then they added more models and the A B C went by the way side.

A big block will probably fit in most mid size bodies like Chevelle, Tempest, Buick Special etc although there are exceptions. It will certainly go in full size cars like Catalina, Impala, Electra. It will also fit pickup trucks and truck based Suburbans.

A lot depends on whether you want a real car or a cartoon. If you want a real car you can drive, start with a full size. If you want a cartoon you can idle around the fairgrounds, that is a pain in the ass to drive anywhere, stick it in a small car.

26. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks desotot that's sounds so cool

Thanks for all that info Rusty, much appreciated.

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Worked at AAmco transmissions back in the 70's . They a 64 Malibu 4 door setting behind the shop that had been left and a buick with a 455 that also got left because they didn't have the money to fix it.
    The owners son and I put the two together and made a sleeper street racer . 455 turbo 400 column shift 4 door Michigan rust bucket. The GM stuff in the midsize 60's was all interchangeable running gear wise. Just change the frame mounts.
    Made some good money until the rusty frame cracked and we sold the car for the motor.

28. belair

belair

Of the cars you listed, the easiest and most attractive ( to me) are the Catalina, and the two A bodies. The 55 Buick ( I had one for five years, drove it every day) will not lend itself to a newer engin or trans because off he enclosed driveshaft. The same is true of the 60 if it has an enclosed driveshaft. Great cars, but parts will be harder to find, and engine swaps will be more difficult then the A bodies. BigDogSS hits the nail on the head in his last post, IMO. All of the cars listed will be a bit more challenging than a Chevy or a Ford. The Cat deserves a Pontiac engine, the Buick A bodies might be coo to put a Buick 350 ( or a 455!) in if you didn't want to go with a SBC. Alll other things being equal, get the car that is most complete, best body, and aftermarket support. Good luck.

BigDogSS and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  29. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Guys. I'm off to sell one of my cars to fund this project. Thanks everyone. The skylark just keeps bringing me back lol. Thanks for the enclosed driveshaft tip, I have seen those frames with a curiosity from a far thinking how the heck do people do swap in these? Everyone hav a great weekend

30. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Update. Decided on an A Body for sure just not the model. It's between a 65 skylark, a 65 chevelle that needs windows, drivetrain and much more, 67 cutlass thats complete, or a 67 tempest but it has had its trunk cut out Screenshot_20170511-174750.png
    I'm looking at the Olds this week. Here a picture I thought was so cool it's from my good friend, he works at aftermarket parts store for classics and these are his boss's cars. Looks like somebody like A bodys. IMG_48131.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2017