Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM 3 wire alternator wiring diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigRed390, Aug 10, 2007.

1. I got google and I am not afraid to use it. GM externally regulated alternator. I converted a ton of old generator cars to the new GM alternator in the '60s but this diagram makes it easier than what I was doing back then.

[​IMG]

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  2. 54vicky

54vicky

pork and beaner shows what you need the bulb acts as diode in line to kill feed when you turn off key.without diode you will be trying to turn alternator into electric motor

3. Well an idiot light or a volt meter or an amp meter all will serve the same purpose I suppose. Not all Chevys have an idiot light. :D But even at that a bulb is a pretty easy thing to install or even a diode

4. Spooky

Spooky

Okay, this is all good stuff. My recent purchase has a 3 wire internally regulated alternator on it. The engine is a 390 with Pertronix ignition up grade. I am stumped by electrical in general. So, some visual aid would greatly be appreciated. Also, what is the correct way to rout the wiring for the dizzy and coil? Thanks everyone-

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

First of all you don’t have a dizzy, you have a ****ing distributor :mad:

Center of the Galaxie likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

How about a little more info? Are there wires on it now, or not? If there is wiring on it now, how about some pictures?

Do you know what flavor of Pertronix unit you have?

Does the vehicle have a GEN or BAT idiot light, or an original AMP gauge, or an added on AMP gauge, or a VOLT gauge, or nothing, or what?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Internal regulator or external regulator? Not sure you posted on a 12 year old thread that has been dead over a year rather than starting a post and making your question though.