Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM 10 Bolt wheel bearings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelaratrod, Nov 22, 2010.

1. I'm looking for a reason why these wheel bearings lasted less than 3k miles in under 3 months?

The rear end has 130k on it and the Glock was clunking so I got a reman and changed all the bearings and seals.

The wheel bearings weren't bad, one seal was weeping so I changed them out for pm while I was in there.

All the parts can from Napa, you know get the good stuff!

Both sides smashed the rollers into the race on the top side of the bearings, Any one ever seen this before?

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What does the axle housing look like? I've never seen that happen but my best guess is that someone had had the bearings eat up the housing before and threw in a set of bearings and sold it. That may cause no tube surface to support the bearing at the top side where all the weight rides.

3. Thanks Mr48, I think it's a weight/ cheap steel race issue myself because both sides did it on the top.
    The axle housing is not scared or out of round, the bearings I took out were the original bearings and I got 130k out of them and they were still good.
    The bearings were SKF brand china bearings from Napa.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought thousands of skf bearings for the equipment we had in the plant I worked in a few years ago with few or no issues except that they (and no others) stand up to apple juice and caustic cleaning solution.

3000 mile and going bad even with an offshore bearing means you have other issues on that setup.
    1. Not cleaning the pieces of the last bearing out of the housing tubes.
    2. Axle shaft worn excessively.
    3. Axle housing warped due to welding new perches or brackets on it.
    4. lack of lubrication.
    5. wrong bearing for application, this isn't too likely though.

If the housing is good what do the axle shafts look like? Grooves? Pits?

5. That's what I was thinking, "3000 mile and going bad even with an offshore bearing means you have other issues on that setup."

The original issue was not the wheel bearings it was a clunking gov lock dif, could a reman dif cause the axle to ride on the top of the wheel bearing?

The axles look ok, when the bearings spread out it pushed the seal out enuff that it started to drip, the rollers were not black/burnt and it slung royal purple out of the seal so I would have to say it had lube, the old bearings came out in one piece and the axle housing was completely clean when reasembled. There has to something I'm missing...

6. filthy frank

filthy frank

is the housing bent ?