Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM 10 bolt lateral axle slop HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droplord49, Nov 18, 2011.

1. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I'm having an issue with the rearend in my OT tow pig('02 Z71 Tahoe). Recently I noticed that when I turned a corner I could hear my rear brake pads squealing, but not when I was going straight. So I got her on stands and noticed that I had almost no lateral play on the drivers side, but have about 1/16 of play on the passenger side(which I figured was just a worn axle clip). I changed the axle bearings/seals and the axle clips and I still have the same amount of play on the right side. I took comparative measurements of the axles, old clips, new clips, etc., and everything measures exactly the same. The play is towards the center, not outward. With everything back together, you can pull out on both axles and they both sit with the inside edge of the C clips even with the spider gears. If you push in on them, the drivers side only moves about 1mm inward(Clip still flush with the gear), but the passenger side exposes about half of the C clip. The dowel that goes though the spider gears has very little wear on it. That is were I am at now. I have been told that it is normal for the axle the have some play to it. I have been told that the clutches in the rearend are wore out and it needs a new center section. It does have 180k miles on it, but nothing looks visibly worn. The old C clips had a little wear on them, but the old bearings, the axles, gears, everything looks perfectly fine. This is my first adventure into a differential, so I am not real sure how to diagnose it any further or where to go from here. If any drivetrain experts would care to share some opinions, they would greatly be appreciated! Thanks

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. squirrel

squirrel

If it's a limited slip differential, that might be what's going on. The clutches being worn will let the side gear move away from the center pin.

If it's not a limited slip, it could still be worn either on the back of the side gear, or the differential case, or both. Same thing happens.

3. Every Tahoe I've ever worked on had that amount of play or more in the axles.

4. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

^^^ What he said. It probably has been that way since new. Your noise is coming from somewhere else.

5. metalix_421

metalix_421

my 03 1/2 ton truck, same same, and Ive noticed it has had that little "clunk" for about the last 70k miles. I havnt worried about it at all. it is at 177 now and runs like a champ

6. X3 for Squirrel's explanation. And yes, it is "normal".

7. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

8. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

i see you're not in the rust belt like i am, but if the diff looks ok, pull the rotor back off the side making noise and check for wear marks on the inside of the backing plate, specifically where the backing plate recesses into the rotor. might have some junk build up in this area and the axle play is moving the rotor into contact with the backing plate.

and it's been my experience also that these things have a ton of play in them no matter what the mileage.