Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM 10 bolt identification.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ChevTruck, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Hey Guys I need some help ID'ing this axle

I've got a GM 10 Bolt i'm trying to identify....all the codes I could find are 1251502 K227 GM49.

The problem is it came without drums so i'm trying to get a disc kit for it or replacement drums but i'm not sure which ones I need....I also don't have the axle here now so I can't take any measurements off it!!

Here's some pictures...

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks to be a Chevelle. Should be 5X4 3/4 bolt pattern.
    I have a couple of those out, I'll try to check the numbers for you.

3. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, it does look like that. You listed casting numbers, which aren't a lot of help...although you now know it was cast Nov 22 19x7 x could be 6 or 7, I think. You can also pull the cover and look for the date stamped in the ring gear, should have a month and year like 11-68 or something

My guess is 1968, if it's a chevelle. Or it could be a full size car rear.

Look for the stamped numbers on the axle tube, that will help figure it out. Also look at this pic

[​IMG]

8.2 was used in the sixties to early 70s, 8.5 starting around 1971, 7.5 around 1978.

4. I'm afraid I don't have it here to take a look at otherwise I would, the guy I bought it off of seems to think it came out of an impala...either way it doesn't narrow it down enough for me to get a disc kit ordered or replacement drums....

5. Looking at that i'd say it's definitley a 8.5" 10 bolt then, so going by the date it could be a 1977 Impala axle if the guy was right thats where it came from

6. squirrel

squirrel

That's my guess too....but 78 since the date is late 77, so it would be a 78 model year. I'd look for other ways to confirm it before buying parts.

7. Out of a GM four link car, so 78 Impala could be correct. Just from the pics it looks fairly wide, which is also in agreement with being Impala. It is not a Camaro or Nova (leaf springs). The rear does appear to be a 8.5 version, which are the best 10-bolt rearends for strength.

That tag on upper left around 11:00 position will tell the gear ratio and whether limited slip or not. Assuming it is orig to that rearend.

8. Sorry i forgot to mention that it is a limited slip and measures 61 1/2 wide.

So what size drums would you say are on that axle then? 9.5's or 11's they do look pretty big to me?

9. squirrel

squirrel

Measure the raised part of the backing plate, that's approximately the size of the drums.

10. I'll try and get the guy who's mounting my axle to measure it for me, should be able to order all the brake parts off summit then.