Register now to get rid of these ads!

Globe Pacers X/AA 41 Willys Gasser.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Chameleon, Jun 21, 2012.

1. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

My car is the frame of the old Globe Pacers gasser out of San Diego California. I was just hoping that a few people may be able to give me more history on the car.... Some more pictures of it like back when it ran at the dragstrip would be great to see.

I have seen few photos of the car before I got the frame that is now under an exact replica body #1 taken out of a mold of the 1970's tv movie Hot Rod. So seeing as how the gasser frame has history under the history of where my Willys body came from I would like to dig up more infomation on the gasser frame. I beleive that back when it was a gasser it ran a hemi beause my motor bolted right to the frame of the car where the mounts were welded on in it's gasser days.

So if anyone has information it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Was that frame under a 1939 Chevy?

3. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

No, well the pictures I have seen were of a Willys coupe. Strang enough the body was just a bit shorter behind the doors. So I think it was not a 40 or 41 Willys body but it looked the same as a 40 or 41 Willys body with the 41 front end. It was white last I saw.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  4. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Well the reason I asked was the only thing I could find about the Globe Pacer Gasser was a Hot Rod issue May of 1962. And the car was a 1939 Chevy coupe.

5. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

I believe they went throgh a few cars with the same name and they had a 39 Chevy but my frame is a Willys frame. I had a stock one parked next to it when I got the car so I know it is Willys. And some where I have a picture of the car as a Willys with the body on the frame. The guy only sold me the frame though because he built a new frame for the body.

This was a long time ago when I was 14 so I don't recal the guys name now. But he had the body and frame together. And as I recall he was a little apprehensive about letting go of the frame still before the deal was made. But it worked out and he gave me some info like a few pictures of the car when I bought it.

I need to find those pictures... I beleive they are out in the shop office so I will try to find them and see if I can post them.

6. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Do you have any info on what years the car ran?

7. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

No, I do not have really any of that kind of info, but I feel like there is enough people out there into old gassers that someone would know more about the car than I do. And I have look at many years of drag footage to try and spot it. But I think everyone was more focused on big john mazmanian & stonewoods and cook at the time....

It was probably raced somewhere before then or around the same time I guess. My frame has no X brace, well it dose but it was welded in the sides of the frame. And the frame is really straight shockingly after how ever many years the car was raced. The body looked clean too. It was built as a strong car... My dad and I were shocked to find the X brace welded to the inside of the frame though because we thought it was missing the X brace. And my 331 hemi bolted right to the mounts that were welded to the frame. So I don't know if that was just somthing they did or if that was somthing common for the time frame with other gassers as well.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  8. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Right on...I've got old Hot Rods and Drag News from the 60s and 70s and I was just tryin' to narrow the search down. I guess my kids will have to look through them all.:D

9. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Hay that is where I started, well and model cars....

Some of my favorite magazines where the CarToons. :D

A while back I was a member of Gasser Gossip/Mid American Willys Club for a while. I am thinking of renewing my membership and perhaps asking if they can dig up any info for me.

10. Here is a picture I scanned from a magazine (Hot Rod?) years ago. I don't believe there was any info on the car with the pic. Also a couple I took of the same car in the mid 80's in Montalvo (next to Ventura). I don't recall the owners name but he was getting ready to rebuild it. Sounds like the body was put on a modern chassis and the old chassis survived separately. I do remember the steel doors with lettering were in the building next to the car. Who knows what happened in the last 25 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Right on! Yes that is it! Thanks! :D

Okay, so here is what happend....

My dad had seen a wheels and deals with a guy selling a 41willys pickup less bed steel cab glass tilt front end for 2 grand. My father bought it for me for my 12th birthday back in 1997 because my dream car was the movie Hot Rod car. The guy that sold the truck did still own the Globe Pacers gasser body still and it looked the same as in the bottome two pictures you posted with the lettering on the doors still. So any way after I got the truck from the guy I had the truck for a year or two and then sold it as as I got it because I always wanted a willys Coupe and the plan was to find the movie car or a coupe bady I could put on the gasser frame. So my dad got the truck and sold it for me. But it came as a roller with two other frames that I hid away. One of these frames was the Globe Pacers gasser frame. And the 41 front end in your picture is what I got with the truck. But I wanted my coupe dream car and so I sold the steel cab and 41 front end to later buy the body I have now that sits on the Globe Pacers gasser frame.

Here is the full story from the time I have had the car.

12. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

So my car over all is a carbon copy clone body that sits on the gasser frame that survived through the years and I am building basically the Hot Rod Willys with the Globe Pacers gasser frame and the body #1 I had custom made out of the unfinished mold off the movie car.

So I am glad to have some pictures of the gasser before I got it. I have never seen the one of it at the track. That is great to see!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  13. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Very Cool! Love that story.

[​IMG]

14. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

If anyone ever finds or has more pictures of the car through the years I would love to see them and any more details about it's history. . . Keep the info coming, what I have seen so far is great.

15. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

So here is the truck I sold to pay for my body and here is the frame as I got it when I got the truck. Speaking of that 41 front end on the truck looks to be the same one that is in the other pictures of the coupe. No matter though as that was diffrent from the original Globe Pacers gasser front end.

But I think it is the same one I had on the truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I ended up with this. And have still work to be done, but both me and the car has come a long way too. Hell it survived a divorce and so did I. So it is a pre War Willys and yes it still rides up like a cutter through Ice.

[​IMG]

16. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

There, got the pictures posted finaly of the Globe Pacers frame when I first got it before I had my body to put on it.

17. Love the picture of you standing next to it, it's a classic! How is the build going?

18. Awesome story!! Love it.

19. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Gosh, I don't look like that any more. If you liked that one then you will problably get a kick out of this one too despite it's blurriness.

[​IMG]

Well my boat is going in the same bay as my Willys right now. I am going to roll it out of the shop and put the motor on a stand to start rebuilding that. And I plan to wash the car again too. Maybe take some current pictures of it. One of my fron't beeds is leaking air so I keep haveing to put the car up on jack stands.

With all the projects my dad & I have had over the years it has been hard to make room to finish my car. That and funding. But Every now and then projects or not I try to get a new part or do somthing to it.

This is my most resent picture of what I got for the car.

[​IMG]

20. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

I got my album ready to take to Norcal knockout. But cool you found my thread. It saves my voice, I can only go over the details of that story once or twice in person. I have seriously partially lost my voice before from talkinging about it too much in one day. lol

Plus I guess now you can copy paste if you still want to do a article on it some day if you chose to rather do one on my dads boat first. Shiver Shot has been in a magazine before. ;)

21. I'll definitely do a story on your Willys. Let's talk a little at the show, and maybe decide a future date for a shoot.

22. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

I have to bump this to the top. Being a big "Hot Rod" fan I must know more.:D

23. skrivies

skrivies

I grew up in San Diego, (Spring Valley) and my dad Richard was in the Globe Pacers. I remember sitting in the Willys when I was about 11 or 12, 1969/70, while they worked on it. The garage was an old Quonset hut and that sucker was loud inside there. Fun times. Sorry, no pictures.

I have a wedding invitation addressed to the car club that never got mailed from 1956.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  24. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

25. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

That is a cool story... :)

26. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

So, due to loss of my job and family Struggles times have changed enough I'm left with no choice but to let go of my dream.

I realize this is not a place for sales on the Hamb but this is a thread all about the Willys.
    So I post this as an update the car is now for sale.
    It breaks my heart. Because this has always been my childhood dream and if I sell it...

Well it is my hope it will go to someone who appreciates everything about this Willys and hopefully will finish it as the Hot Rod Willys clone it was meant to be and always has been as well as the Gasser history it has.

It's now on eBay. Here is a link.Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/17292528043

If you want to know more about the car please read all the post in this forum for those interested at the very least it's a good read.

27. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

I never had the money really to finish the car to the quality that I wanted to build it so it's Sat for a while, not much has changed and everything I have for the car is all swap meet parts matching the movie car I collected over my life.

Literally since I was kid, I was very picky to try and match the film as well as true gasser style. Yet my intention was to always make it Street legal for car shows and the daily cruise through town.

I'm sad I was never able to get it that far.

I'd love to see someone finish this Hot Rod Willys.

Further more I'd love to be able to keep in touch and go for a ride in my dream some day at the very least.
    Thank you all.

Attached Files:

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  28. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

29. cduece32

cduece32

I have some info on the Globe Pacers willys coupe out of San Diego