Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Glasspacks and back cackle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Mar 6, 2015.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

So, is there a way to eliminate the back cackle from glasspacks?
    Position of bottle? Are there any that don't? or it just is what it is?
    Just curious is all.

2. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

3. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Like the sound of everything but letting off the pedal, and she only rev's so high...

4. They only cackle after you have blown the packing out of them. Full exhaust and proper break in helps a bunch, also the farther away from the engine they are seems to help a bunch. Makine sure thet the system is leak free.

Proper breakin according to the info that I got with a pair of cherry bombs once is this, install mufflers, start engine and let idle for 20-30 minutes. let them cool completely down before stating the engine again. this somehow settles the glass and keeps it from blowing out of the muffler.

fiftiescat likes this.

5. There is a way to stop the sound,change to a non glass pack muffler. HRP

6. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

yea, I didn't buy any yet so that would be an obvious choice. I looked into 'baffle packs' but when you get a 2.5" muffler the inner core the exhaust goes though is like 1 3/4 in diameter cause it doubles back in the same space a regular glasspack.

7. And...... What would a guy do if it's a new engine,with new exhaust,and the cam break in period?
    Old turbo's,and FM's are easy=just go for it,but with glass packs? Mock -up exhaust until engine is broke in?o_O

8. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

9. Amen! :D HRP

SanDiegoHighwayman and da34guy like this.
  10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It's funny how we grasp for words to describe how our car is behaving and how local language differs from place to place. If by "back cackle" you mean back snapping (as opposed to exhaust "rapping"). What I'm describing is when you coast down a hill and your car sounds like a popcorn machine. On off-throttle deceleration, it happens with open style exhausts like glasspacks. It is caused by a lean condition from the engine is spinning at a high RPM, but the throttle plates are closed so the fuel/air mixture leans out and doesn't burn well. The unburned fuel collects in the pipes and then ignites in the pipe causing the snapping sounds.

One semi-solution is to richen up the idle mixture screws a little, which might cause other issues and you may never be able to completely cure the problem. All you can do is experiment.

11. 62nova

62nova

But that's a beautiful sound!

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  12. caton462

caton462

Some carburetors had an "economy valve" that dumped filtered air under the throttle plate for up to 2 seconds when you let off of the throttle. I have noticed these cars that I owned did not have the muffler explosions that similar setups without the valve had. Called economy valve because the high vacuum of closed throttle operation sucked a lot of fuel through the idle ports. We built a large one for my Lincoln as an experiment and gained 2 mpg.

slack likes this.
  13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Mike 51, exactly what I was going to say as I was reading down the page. Only I was deciding whether to say anything because I figured nobody would believe me and my typing time would be wasted .

Enriching the idle mixture to stop the pop was something I figured out on my Briggs and Stratton powered Rupp mini bike when I was 13. I proved the theory many times over the years with my cars as there is a long hill between home and town. I have even leaned out the idle mix for some of my buddies that wanted to hear it. Worked every time.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You telling me I've been wrong for loving that sound for the last 60 + years since I first heard it as a small kid? Damn, I thought that was what having dual glass packs was all about.

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

A balance tube may help also.

16. WTF is wrong with this place?
    Glass packs that don't make decell crackle - well,,,

It's like shorts that are thermal long johns
    Its like a chicks high heel shoes that don't make her taller
    It's like iced hot chocolate
    It's like speaking Spanish without rolling your tongue
    It's like a bear that don't shit in the woods

17. Does anybody make gloss paint that aint shiney?

da34guy and Katuna like this.
  18. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I like the popcorn maker noise, everyone behind me backs off.

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

You are Right! Its been 53 years since I heard a black 54 Ford go by with dual straight pipes making that sweet music. Now I have a 59 Ford 292 with straight pipes to listen to.

20. Shorten up the length of the pipe after the muffler, made a difference for me back in the day.

21. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Buy a Kia. They don't cackle at all.

22. A few years ago I had a 55 chevy vert with a 383 ans a little b&m blower, I had flow master "hush power" muffs. That thing would cackle both on and off the throttle! I used to back it up to the fence and rap the the pipes so i could hear it in the car better! It was mesmerizing.

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Now that right there's funny, I don't care who you are.:D

24. What were the ones that were like an exhaust tip, but had a bunch of thin washers in them, Sounded like crap but they didn't cackle.

25. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Supertrap? I think that's right. Motorcycle mufflers fitted to cars.

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Actually they started as spark arrestors for industrial equiptment...

27. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Break it in without the mufflers... really wake up the neighbors... :D :D

28. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The bottle goes in the trunk. Open container laws, etc.
    Walker made a copper colored "Royal Scot" that looked like a blue Continental, but was all baffles inside. Sounded like a wet towel drug over linoleum ...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  29. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Agree with this....I wanted a bit less noise, so located my Smitty's toward the back with only about 3 feet of pipe after them...I really like that sound. :)

1927graham likes this.
  30. I always break my cam in uncorked. The neighbors have learned to live with it. :D

It just occurred to me that there actually is another solution, you can put resonators on the ends of the pipes, like an E-Type jag has, that is actually what they did was keep the pop in the bottle.

Gives me a chuckle I got pulled over in the Pusher when I was still driving it going into a little red neck town with a slight grade headed into town. There was a sign at the top of the hill that said no jake brakes. I was slowing down for their 35 mph speed limit and dropped the tranny down a gear to help and it went brrrrattttt. I got pulled over and the cop walked up and said "Didn't you see the sign at the top of the hill?" I said yes sir but this ain't no diesel chebby and I aint got no jake brake." he laughed and told me to mind my Ps and Qs while I was in his town. Hell even at 35 mph it was only about a 5 minute drive to the other side of town. ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015