Register now to get rid of these ads!

glasspack lake headers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tigerShark, Feb 3, 2010.

1. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

ive read about folks using the baffles and packing out of glasspack mufflers for their lake headers but what about building a set of lake headers out of an actual glsspack muffler. dirt cheap solution or bad idea?

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Depends... do you want your exhaust to look like giant elephant dicks hanging off the side of your engine?

Seriously.... exhaust cones are what... $20 each from Speedway?

4. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

It can be done and look good depending on the application... done right I doubt if it would be cheaper... I had the misfortune of putting mine together before all the retro parts were available... we used van side pipes; threw away the guard, blasted the turndown and welded it on, welded a section exhaust to the front, slid an equivilant of a megaphone over the that section... welded that to the body of glasspack... and the final result looks like a old style 36 torque tube exhaust that angles from my tri-Y headers to the rear tire on my 33... been that way for decades... It does get louder over time and would be to much work to change it

5. Glen

Glen

cone engineering is an alliance vendor just order the cones

6. HotRod33

HotRod33

7. freiertpc

freiertpc

I make my own baffles and thats quite easy with a little pipe and some giant fender washers from lowes you can make a set og 12" baffles for about $20
    instead of buying expensive crap only buy if your physically unable to make them yourself and any one that tells you other wise must just have to much money so ask them to buy'em for ya remember built not bought and use what ya got and yes you can use the baffles out of cherry bombs just get one of 24" and cut it in half you only need a 6" baffle for small pipes but 12" works good for longer

8. iveroguy

iveroguy

9. coneeng

coneeng

If you're using fiberglass packing, make sure you none get around the baffling and suck up a primary tube into the motor.