Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass Tape

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39 All Ford, Oct 6, 2010.

1. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Ok I tried to search, but not knowing the right terminology makes lots of results with no relavance....

I want to put the side glass in my doors for my 39, but I want to know the best way to hook the glass to the chanel.

Years ago I had some of what I thought was called "Glass Tape", it was cork on one side and a kind of mildly sticky course fabric on the other. It would wedge between the chanel and the glass thereby holding the glass to the chanel.

I found a roll on line at a certain auction site, but I let it slip away, no more is listed (cork style).

ANYWAY, is this stuff the best stuff to use or is there something else I should use.... What did you use??????

There is plenty of rubber looking stuff, but this comes in differnt thickness...

thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

The local glass shops here have it. Different thickness's to match glass. Just what you described is what I have used on all I have done.

3. Skirv

Skirv

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

think its called setting tape. but im probably wrong too!!

5. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, setting tape

6. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

try using urythane for putting in windshieds its cheap easy to use and will prolly hold way better most auto parts suppliers have it if your really cheap RTV silicone works well also.

7. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

8. alchemy

alchemy

I too tried to use glass setting tape that I obtained (they gave the remainder of their stock to me) from the local glass shop. But it was a very tight fit and I was nervous hammering the channel on. I realized why they said they never use it anymore.

So I glued the channel on with urethane like the glass shop said to, and it turned out great. Hasn't fallen off yet.

9. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Urethane gets my vote!

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I use Urethane ..no issues, cheap, easy to find

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

12. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I did what you said and searched "Ass Wipe"

but it came back to this thread :D

13. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

What you need is called glass setting butyl tape, or window welt. Should still be available from any decent auto parts store. I wouldn't silicone the windows in personally when you can still get the right stuff.

14. Glass bedding tape.
    I get it at a local glass shop.

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I used the corks on power windows, kept pulling out, power windows are merciless, you usually bust the glass or your passenger who assumes that they are in a modern car just keeps pushing the button saying uhhh daaa till the glass explodes. Of course no one on the HAMB should use power windows, but if you do I wouldn't use the corks.

16. i use friction tape in layers. had to remove window once and there was no problem what so ever

17. squirrel

squirrel

that's why I won't use urethane.

18. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

LOL.... :D

That was funny, I don't care who you are...

And thank you everyone for the answers, at least I have a few directions to travel now. Thanks!!

And sorry mod's, I kind of forgot about no bad words in the title rule... I will try to be more careful, but I thought Ass might be ok.... LOL... :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Urethane isn't silicone.
    Silicone is total garbage as far as glass installation is concerned!

I'd say its a toss-up on what to use. Some people would be better off with urethane while others would be better off to use the tape.
    There are various issues you can run into with both EG, parallel alignment of some brackets when using urethane or cracking the glass while hammering the channel over tape thats a bit too thick.

NO guarantee either method will be a walk in the park.
    You STILL have to use your noggin or you'll screw up the job.

20. Urethane is not for giveing,glass setting tape is. I never use urethane unless I have to. I've been doing it for a living every day for the last 35 years. The rubber tape is about all you can find now. If it is to thin build it up with electrial tape. The cork and rubber comes in differnt thickness also. I like it the best for door glass if you can find it but either will work. Good luck