Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass Rods, show us whatcha got...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemizach, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemizach

Hemizach

I just got done looking over Hot Turkey's deuce project (the fiberglass deuce), and thought I would start a thread where people could show pics of their glass rods. I don't know how many are out there, but they deserve to be shown just as much as their steel-bodied big brothers. So come on guys, post some pics...

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Why? They're fake.

3. Hemizach

Hemizach

Maybe but they're cheaper than steel a lot of the time. And furthermore, any car with work put into it should be admired. They may be "fake" to you, but I've seen some that were nicer than "real" cars.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

They're fake and they are kit cars.....

5. Hemizach

Hemizach

You aren't very open-minded, are you?

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Not at all.......

7. Soooooooo your not running a new axle or new QC, new Raidars, new firestone WWW.......or anything like that!

I have a glass body (floppy body), for the simple reason I will not pay the stupid amount they are going for, but want that body style.

Tell the Roth fans all his cars ar fake kit cars, and he should have made them from steel...............!

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

and I'll tell you why. It takes about two thousand hours to build a decent traditional hotrod. I've never paid more than very little for an original steel body that needed work compared to the cost of a fiberglass or steel reproduction body. After that two thousand hours, many spent repairing the body, I can look at it and say it's the real thing. My time was well spent.......

9. Hemizach

Hemizach

Takes a lot of time to get fiberglass to look good too, but I won't argue because you do have a good point.

10. Be thankful your in the lucky country, that is simply not an option in Australia unless your super lucky. I cant even find a fourdoor to turn into a coupe...........I just dont see how it makes my car not real, and yours real when the build time/passion/enjoyment is still there.

11. Hemizach

Hemizach

Agreed... but it's really pointless to argue about it. Some people just don't get glass cars, but whatever. opinions vary....

As for pictures....

12. This argument is a wank....

Building your own car is still building your own car regardless of what the body is made of.

The owner's/builder's ingenuity, skill, sacrifice, blood, sweat, dinero and tears that goes into a project is THE key ingredient, NOT whether the car is glass or steel.

Id rather have a well thought out, well engineered, well put together, and well executed glass car than some of the POS steel rides that you see out there that are "real" because they're steel.

I'd also rather build my own glass car than buy someone else's steel one and take credit for its build; unfortunately, all too common these days im afraid.

This argument is so friggin old that its a waste of HAMB space....

This one's glass.......to each their own.

Rat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  13. kevron

kevron

steels real but glass is for ever and is keeping the dream alive and in the reach of all the nutters out there kevron i still love the smell of burning rubber so much i will be buying condoms when im 90 kevron

14. kevron

kevron

forgot to mention i have owend and operated a glass body buissnes for last 11 years and been making glass rod body s for 28 years

15. kevron

kevron

my newest body is a 46 fiat toppalover or ino sedandelivery i took the mould of a steel one and i bet that theres not more than two in the land downunder so why shouldnt i share the plesure with others

16. InPrimer

InPrimer

You are right they are fake... at least that is your opinion. I have a superior Glass '37 Chevy convert. I put in a shitload of hours , maybe not with a hammer and dolly but with a lot of plain hard work. Find me a nice '37 Chevy convert ( in Steel) for less than 10 G's and I'll buy it. I agree that a lot of 'glass cars /kits are really a large version of the AMT Kits I used to build as a kid, but I disagree with you that ALL glass cars are fake.further more I assume that with your 2000 hrs you used nothing but lead to repair them? you know bondo isn't Trad in some circles.

17. More glass.....crap huh?

Rat

Attached Files:

18. This thread is a waste. I vote lock it now.

19. It IS a waste, but hey, let people put forth their "arguments", if anything it could make for interesting reading X.

Rat

20. 2002p51

2002p51

You're just as much of an elitist snob as a gold chainer. Maybe even more so.

Fake

[​IMG]

Fake

[​IMG]

Fake

[​IMG]

Fake

[​IMG]

This thread is stupid and pointless.

21. A BONED

A BONED

Personally, I would prefer to put my efforts into a steel Rod, Rat Bastad makes a decent point though. I've seen his car, and given him a hand when needed when he was building the thing. He, like countless other guys have put their heart and soul into their rides.
    I can dig the plastic bodied cars, they have there place as legitimate Hot Rods. Incidently, I own a steel 30 Ford coupe.

Boner :)

22. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Elitist and close minded on the HAMB? never.

23. zzford

zzford

Obviously you have never built a glass car.

24. zzford

zzford

Mine's glass. Believe me, from one whos built both, glass cars are often times as much work as steel.

Attached Files:

25. Jimv

Jimv

So are Implants!! So i guess ya wouldn't want to look at them also!!
    JimV

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Your cheaper arguement doesn't really hold water. Good glass is expensive, there are lots of sub par bodies out there and the work involved in making them right is worth something. You can sure as hell do a model A cheaper than a glass car. I only see glass as an option if you have to have a 32 for some reason.

Not here...

lol, now that is funny.... glass is not forever. They brake down over time, become brittle in the cold. They need attention to last.

27. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

zzford.... that's beautiful!!!
    But since it's fake I'll give you 50 bucks to save you the embarassment of owning it. ;)
    Hmmm are Brookville fake????

28. Jimv

Jimv

The Threads not a waste, what 'JUSTDUG" said is a waste, no one asked his narrow minded, "i'm livin in the 50's man" Oppinoin!!
    All "hemizach" asked was to post pics of fiberglass cars!!
    How come people can't just stick to the thread with there 2 cents, I guess JUSTDUG doesn't have a fiberglass car so theres no point in him posting here.The Thread should be left open,but "justdug" should be "justblocked"!!

29. 90volts

90volts
    from suburbs

i've been reading for awhile. mostly lurking. but i must say i am surprised to see fiberglass being defended here. the way other 'outside the traditional' cars, etc are put down as not 'real' cars. i know most steel rides are completed with some updated parts but the cool part is that most of the car was actually on the road 75 years ago or so.

i have a fiberglass car (much newer too) and i enjoy it. i like to look at the fiberglass rods but the history of the steel ones is what really is interesting to me.

30. flatblackstude

flatblackstude
    from carver, ma

I agree w/ 90volts. I think the steel bodies have a nostalgc/historical value to them that the fiberglass bodies don't have. But to each there own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.