Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass Packs or Cherry Bombs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C5Cruiser, May 21, 2009.

1. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

My girl has Smithy's on her Fairlane and they sound great. I have Cherry Bombs on my 62 C10 and they're gnarly!!! Of course, they also have no pipe behind them. Just about 3 feet from the shorty headers, then Cherry Bombs, then LOUD! For a T-Bird, I'd say go for the Smithy's, but that's just me. By the way, Cal Cowboy and sick50ford.... I wanna see your two avatars wrestle!!!

2. all about the same. put some smitty's on her, get that metal rattle when she opens up

3. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Chambered side pipes man!

[​IMG]

I'm putting a set of these on my '61 F-85.

4. poorboy

poorboy

lol that's a good one.

Im running Smithys and I dig the sound. Just no Flowmasters please!!

5. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

I always use generic glass packs from my local m. shop. I can't hear any difference from name brands. Hell getting old.

6. Noname38

Noname38

7. Joelchris

Joelchris
    from Pomona

Hey C5, I had a pair of 18" Smithy's on my 54 Merc. They sound good but I wanted something a little louder so I went with 2 12" glasspacks.
    I can sell you the pair of Smithy's I had on before I went with the glass. PM me if interested.

JoelChris

8. jaxx

jaxx

Cherry Bombs - American ( TN. ) made and just right for the year of car - Love the deep tone - Jaxx

9. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

straight 2" pipes is the cheapest and it will rap like hell or cherry bombs mounted way up front and make sure the cherry bombs are backwards for that popping sound[​IMG]

10. like to see that when done...

11. I'll have to find someone that's running a 390.

12. daddio211

daddio211

...or any other FE block. Remember though that compression, header selection, length of pipes, diameter of pipes, and where on the pipes the mufflers are located change the final sound too.

Just pull the trigger and do whatever you want, then let us know how it sounds. I really don't you're going to be able to EXACTLY reproduce a sound you like, but you'll likely learn to love the new sound the car makes. Get a good exhaust guy who won't mind swapping a set or two of muffs out to help you get the sound you want. Sometimes its just too quiet, too loud, or resonates in the car too much. A good exhaust guy knows this and wants a happy customer. Although you may need to pay a little more for the time he spends changing mufflers the final result should be worth it.

13. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Cherry bombs! Backwards! Oh YES!!

14. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Brockmans ! He's a great guy to deal with and his mufflers sound like no other. Here's a youtube clip of a pair of Brockmans.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p6Uk8ahaoyg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p6Uk8ahaoyg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

I just got mine in the mail this week. They were 75 a pair including shipping. 4 days from phone call to brown truck delivery here in Texas.

15. maniac

maniac

I wasn't planning to change my mufflers, but after hearing that sound bite, now I HAVE to.

Sounds great there, Ayers Garage:cool:

16. Wolfie

Wolfie

The only name in mufflers is PORTER!!!!

Wolf

17. robertsregal

robertsregal

I would op for porters more period correct!

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i won't mention the brand name because i don't want to start a chit storm, but for those of you running four bangers what seems to work for you? i have a genuine cherry bomb now,but with the dual carbs and the header and cam it may actually get a bit too loud for my wife, i don't want it quiet but i may need to tone it down slightly. lets just say it's imported and the engine design is a lot closer to the old brittish designed 4 bangers then what the brand is, has a much deeper sound then most of them. cherry bomb is backwards now.