Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Glass guys... Is this possible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jan 31, 2017.

1. I've got a 53 Ford Ranchwagon that has a mild chop... about 2".
    Looking for a front windshield to chop , we noticed that the Ranchwagon front glass is apparently taller by 2 inches than the 2dr. coupe/Victoria. Is this possible? Did Ford actually produce two different windshields for their 52-54 models? Any of you Ford guys know for sure?
    Maybe I can just order the shorter windshield and not have to cut the glass.

2. gene-koning

gene-koning

Know anyone with an old Hollander book? That would tell you for sure. My buddy that used to run a small junk yard always said some things in the Hollander book were off a little, but the glas was always spot on. Gene

3. Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. belair

belair

I know tri five sedan windshields are taller than the hardtops. I forget the difference.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I texted NONAME and he said convertibles and HT cars have a 2 inch shorter windshield.

6. Yup, pretty common

7. My hollander says wagons are same as sedans...hardtop is different but doesn't give dimensions

8. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

The info we found only listed the coupe/ Victoria as being 2 inches shorter. all of the other models appear the same

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Its probably not going to be just 2" shorter, it may not have the same contours or shape on the edge.

10. I'm guessing it'd be close everywhere else because the front fenders and dashes interchange so that the lower width would be a constant. I'm not sure how much play is in a windshield gasket, but the 53 Fords have an enormous rubber gasket so I think there's some forgiveness. Just checking around, the shipping is as much as the friggin glass. Road trip!

11. Squablow

Squablow

They are shorter and a few people have chopped their cars to match the height of the Victoria windshield to avoid having to cut glass. It's one of the very few nice things about chopping a 52-54 Ford.

I used some Victoria windshield moldings on my chopped '53 and the shape of the A pillars was the same and they fit, the stainless covers up the post nicely.