Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass gas filters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onefish, Nov 28, 2005.

1. onefish

onefish

Does anyone here have a good running car with one of those glass inline gas filters and if so what kind of fuel pump are you running mech. or elec.? What I want to know is that when the car is warm and running how much of a bubble do you see in the filter? Small one? Filter half full? pulsing? Is it mounted horizontal or vertical? Or is this a waste of time trying to debug an engine by watching the bubble?:confused:

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Don't worry about the bubble, eventually the glass will crack, leak gas all over, and catch car on fire. Problem solved.

3. I've used them with mechanical pumps. When running there never seems to be any air in the filter housing. When the engine is off there iusually is about 7/8ths volume with fuel. Just a small amont of air.

4. Missing Link

Missing Link

Well I am not using a glass inline filter but I am using a clear plastic version. I have been using them for years specifically so I can easily see if there is gas in the filter. I have mounted the filter horizontally, vertically, and at just about every angle in between. As long as the flow path is correct it shouldn't matter. I have used the clear filters with mechanical pumps and electric pumps. I had an electric pump on my flathead and a mechanical on my sbc.

With the vehicle running the filter should be just about full. You will notice a slight back flow when the vehicle is not running. What I mean by this is that the filter will appear about half full when not running.

I seriously doubt that small bubble in your fuel filter will be an issue. But if you do want to get rid of it, try to purge the air from the fuel line by removing it at the carb and either cranking the motor over (mech. pump) or flipping on the switch (elec. pump) If the fuel flow into the filter is pulsing you may have an air bubble in the line between the filter and carb that is creating a cushion and not allowing proper fuel flow.

5. onefish

onefish

On mine it's a little more than a small bubble. When it was cold it was a nice and small little bubble. I drove around a bit after warming up and checked it and it was flowing at about half full or half empty. It was surging so I ran a new fuel line from filter at tank to pump. now it appears to be a steady half.
    could I be sucking in air at the clamps?

6. noboD

noboD

I've used several, both verticle and horizontal. Most are partly full with an air bubble, it doesn't matter. What does matter is you can see the dirt or water. "Henry", my 8n Ford has one from new.

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Last time I saw anything change what you are talking about was when I ran one PERFECTLY vertical. it changed for about 15 minutes, then I bolted on a 45 dollar Carter mechanical fuel pump instead of the 18 dollar airtex and voilla" no bubble at all. and the car stopped smoking. no B.S. it didn't seem to run poorly before I changed the pump, either. did well on the highway,around town, pretty much every where.
    Bolt on the Carter and it was like I had been driving on 7 cylinders before that.
    Don't Know why, Don't care. since then, my cars get Carter pumps.
    (O.T. my 67 cutlass runs one of the Carter electric pumps. had it as a daily for 7 years and it has never even hiccupped. and it's QUIET!)

8. My 1951 Farmall tractor has the glass bowl (no pump as tractor is gravity feed) and it is usually around 3/4 + or - full of gas when running. The only reason I ever look is when I go to shut the fuel supply off when I'm shutting it down. There is not much to those glass bowls, take it apart, clean the screen and thats it. Try cleaning your cars bowl out - then run it - check it again and see if you are getting "crap" coming into it from a dirty tank.:D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

9. onefish

onefish

Cleaned and used the por-15 gas tank sealer. I also bought a new fuel pump but I cannot get the filter off of the bottom so I have switched from both new and old and get the same result at the filter. I have not driven it much with the new fuel line yet to see if it stalls on me.

10. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Guys - just to clarify - the FACTORY glass filters were leapes and bounds better than the aftermarket ones. The ones we USED to run were the INLINE glass cylinders that were prone to crack. I cracked a couple myself but nothing notable happened (I was lucky I guess). The FACTORY ones while leaps and bounds better are still prone to cracking IF a stone or some other object hits them. I had one of the shitty ones on my car for a zillion years before it cracked - I still don't know why that happened. Glass gets more brittle with age I guess. Funniest thing I ever saw was when a buddy bought a glass headlight lense ata swap meet - he looked it over for 5 minutes before he laid out his dough. 10 minutes later while he was carrying it - it broke in his hand - he didn't bump into anything, nothing - I guess the heat from his hand cracked it.

Granted some guys run the aftermarket glass filters for years and years without problems - others - well I hope their insurance was paid up. Ever watch a car burn? Changes a fellas perspective.

For those runnign a glass inline aftermarket type filter - the neatest thing I saw for them was a replacement "glass" - it was finned aluminum and could be used to replace the glass with no mods. You could keep the glass for trouble shooting purposes I guess.

I am thankful you guys posted this - it reminded me that I still ahve one of those crappy aftermarket ones on one of my cars - it needs to GO!!!!

11. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I run the aftermarket ones on all of my cars. They have to be where they can not vibrate against something and be where they are not prone to be hit by anything.
    The only one I check quite often is the one that is under the car(tucked up in the frame and wrapped in rubber clamps). It is under my 48 and has been there for 9 years, I have not had any problems with it.
    The rest are under the hoods and are isolated from vibration and I have had no problems with them. Maybe I'm just lucky?:eek:

12. I have personally heard of two instences of cars catching fire and burning up while being driven. Both times the passengers were able to escape, and both cars were running that glass fuel filter.

13. onefish

onefish

Thanks for all the safety concerns, however if the car won't run right for very long it more than likely will not catch fire sitting in my yard. My oil leaking BMW will probably go up before the Ford. OK, so I will remove the filter after my question has been answered. I have thee other filters on there anyway. The small clear plastic one at the tank, the orig. one at the pump, and the one at the carb.

14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Last week i drove from Houston to Phoenix and my glass filter started leaking..never again will I use one..I was lucky and was close to a man who gave me one, a metal one....

15. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Fair enough....to answer your origional question - on my '37 I run a plastic filter that is mounted on an angle. I have a factory mechanical pump. When I start it the bubble gets smaller. Makes sense for ti to be there since the bubble seesk the highest level and the fuel port is lower. So I don't see any problem to having a bubble in there UNLESS it's so big you can see that no fuel is passing. A small bubble (output side) doesn't do anything (in of itself) to prevent the fuel from being pressurized. If you have concerns about the pump itself go grab your old style vacuum gauge as most double as fuel pressure guages as well. Either put a temporary TEE in the line or simply disconnect the carb and run it for a few moments unitl it stalls and read the pressure. Problem solved??? I dunno. But at least you will know wheter or not you have sufficient pressure.

I don't ever recall seeing the "pulsing" but for a moment or two after starting - until pressure is built up. If yours continues to pulse afterwards maybe you have an obstruction or weak pump --your vacuum/fuel pressure guage would identify that for certain. By taking your pressure reading before the carb - you can eliminate a bunch of stuff - right out of the gate.

Good Luck

16. TV

TV

Get rid of it, I think everybody has had troubles with them. They leak and break when try to fix them.--TV

17. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I also suggest getting rid of it. Almost lost my caddy due to one of those damn things good thing I was at work and the fire extinguisher was by the door. I still had to rewire the engine but felt forunate that was all I had to do.

Dawg

18. onefish

onefish

I had major pulsing before I put the new line on. Not so much pulsing now. When I started it, mine did the same thing you describe. It filled up to just a small bubble. So I drove it and got on it a couple of times and thought I felt a difference in power, although I haven't driven it in a week and a half, and when I get back it is sitting at half full. I rev the motor under the hood and the fuel level doesn't drop noticably and I have not stalled 'yet'. I hope that the problem is fixed based on the mud that came out of the tank and now that it can suck gas through the pickup tube. I'm just a little perplexed by the whole fuel level filter thing. I might just take the advice and put a non-clear one on so it doesn't bother me but I just wan't to maximize my fuel efficiency and increase my cruising range.

19. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Interesting posts. I have ran a glass filter on my car for 8 years with no problems. Guess I have been fortunate.

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I used to scoop ice cream at Friendly's back in high school. One day when we were busy and short on sundae glasses, I grabbed a hot one out of the dishwasher and put a scoop in it. 10 seconds later the glass shattered all over the counter. Think about it.

I think the real probem people run into wih the glass filters is that people put them in places where they are they are in close proximity to a source of extreme heat (an exhaust manifold) or serious vibration. Route your fuel line away from the motor and you'll have no trouble. I'd imagine that the rapid heating/cooling of the glass is what causes the failure.

21. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Mine was the stock caddy filter in the stock location. Mounted on the top front of the engine inline with the carb. I think the seal went to shit and sprayed the top of the engine with fuel. I found a steel one from NAPA that had the some dimensions and line routing.

Dawg

22. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Is it woth the chance of burning a hotrod to the ground? I would never run one after seeing a car that burned because of a glass filter like that.

23. Does the car stall out when you let it idle or when you give the pedal hell?
    Jah

24. Piss the thing off, the afetrmarket ones are diecast and they break (piss poor Taiwanese quality).

If u really wanna see what kinda fuel flow you have, add a good fuel press gauge and you can also set your carbs up properly too.

Rat

25. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Funny-I was gonna ask about that when the JC was in Monday-been stumblin' and shit. I'm gonna see if O'Reilly's has that Carter unless you have a source???