Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Glass Frontend Rescue Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol55, May 31, 2020.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Mine looked like this when I test fitted it to my '39 Chevy. Talk about crappy fit!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up cutting the hood off, and sold the fenders to some dork making a "R" rod. After a lot of work I gotthe hood "bent" to fit my car's cowl and grille.
    [​IMG]

ol55 likes this.
  2. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Some great examples here. Was planning on getting the paint off and leaving it. If I can’t do that I need to prep for the next step. Which is; A) Resin and hardener, B) Gelcoat, C) Two part Epoxy or D) something else? Which is beat for this?

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

ONLY resin/hardnener if youre putting matt on. Painting with resin is just making it brittle and not helping anything. Gelcoat could work. Epoxy, if youre doing a repair.

Id see how it looks, repairs from the inside as needed, add some matt in places if you feel they need more strength. then go at it with heavy build primer

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gel coat is best, can go in any direction from there.

5. The Shift Wizard

The Shift Wizard
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With bad cracks like I saw in an early photo, the glass fibers are all broken and resin alone is not a strong fix. You have to 'bridge' the backside with FG mat and then V-cut the outside to remove any weak, 'resin fixes'. Then overfill the V with fresh fiber and just enough resin. You will have a ridgeline to grind down but there's no getting around that.
    Like Mongo says, "Fiber strong. Resin, no strong".
    Just thinking about it makes me itchy. :confused: