Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass distributor cap 6 cyl. chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by busch167, Aug 22, 2009.

1. busch167

busch167

Anyone have info about these distributor caps, came from a grandfathers repair shop (can not be newer than about 1965)
    I fixed up old chevy distributor and makes a great display

Attached Files:

2. barney rubble

barney rubble

I remember about 35 yearws ago seeing one on a V-8 small block Chevy. At night the guy popped his hood and it looked like fire was jumping everywhere.

3. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

I had a 2 piece glass cap that csught the wires between the 2 pieces, i think it was from the '20s judging by the spark plugs and other items that were in the same box the cap was found in.

There were once clear plastic caps, I think in the late 50s-early 60s, that's probably what was on that SBC.

4. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

If they work I'll take them off your hands.

5. busch167

busch167

I remember the clear plastic caps for the SBC.
    As the pics show one has the brass contacts in it and the other does not. I can see were the one has been used.
    Just looking for info

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

must be an interesting light show in teh dark

7. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

All I know is that I want one. BAD!

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just a little O.T., but, on that auction site we all know and love, there are HEI SBC/BBC distributors for sale with CLEAR caps, rotors, and coil covers. I also think the clear caps are still available for SBC/BBC window style distributors. Trippin' the light fantastic. Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

I had a red one on a VW bug about 20-22 years ago. It looked cool at night with the chrome tin on the motor.:eek:

10. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

mr gasket still makes the clear plastic sbc ones both for points and hei distributors

11. Elrusto

Elrusto

........... and O'reilly has them in MOST of their warehouses. I've got one and I got one for BLASTED while I was working for them.

12. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Good info, but I'm interested because they are for an inline 6 and that's what I run. A clear sbc cap won't help me out.

13. sensor

sensor

me too

14. I had one of those clear caps at one time too, if it fits SBC it will work on almost any GM and some AMC motors. I'm surprised there's not more available, but the wide adaptability is probably why that one's still available.

15. Muttley

Muttley

I've been looking for one for a SBF, if anyone knows where I can find one please let me know.

16. Fenders

Fenders

Damn if those are glass and not plastic they gotta be too collectible to use !!

17. sawzall

sawzall

18. Damn, I'd like one of those, In fact i'll take three if you find some.....

19. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

The only clear one i've seen was plastic not glass.

20. I just picked up a 50 Fleetline and would like to find one of these for it. Anyone got one they are willing to let go?

21. Fordors

Fordors

Masters & Richter ran a fuel dragster in the mid ‘60’s that was sponsored by Clear Spark, makers of clear plastic distributor caps. At the time I think they were running a Schiefer magneto and it had a clear cap, most likely it was a Ford cap.

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It would be a lot harder to make those from glass rather than plastic, and there should be no problem with carbon tracking on glass.

Pretty darn cool.