Register now to get rid of these ads!

Giving my Wagon a Nostalgic Theme

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrriff, Feb 5, 2008.

1. chrriff

chrriff

I would like to put some 60's nostalgic accents on my 65 Fury III Wagon. I got the car from the original owners estate. It has 75k original miles. The only changes I have made to the car are the tires and wheels. I dont want to alter the car any,just add some 60's era accessories,stickers and such. Any ideas on how I can make the car scream nostalgia?

Attached Files:

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Well no one would have been modifying mom's '65 Chrysler wagon "back in the day." Especially with an early-60s style paint job.

I think you already nailed it man, I wouldn't change it at all.

3. looks good man , i would ditch the roof rack myself..

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

Go check out some mid 60's drag racing images and look for the tow cars in the background. Often times these cars were used as tow pigs... Things like a 2x4 push bar up front, lettering, etc...

5. BJR

BJR

Put a 4 inch wide white rally stripe in line with the driver. Go down the hood, across the roof, & down the tailgate. That should do it!

6. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

It's pretty much already screaming "nostalgic"

Torq-Thrust D wheels would look pretty nice.

Maybe some real water-transfer travel or speed decals?
    (Not the new peel and stick ones!)

Other than that- leave it alone!

7. chrriff

chrriff

Thanks for the kind words. I was surprised to see the thumbs up and looks I got when I cruised it in town for the first time this past weekend. Makes you appreciate it so much more. I drive this thing every chance I get.

8. RodStRace

RodStRace

Hi, I see you are over here too.
    With wagons here are a few themes you can go with.
    Mommy-mobile Get the vintage vacation state decals and throw some vintage luggage in the back. Maybe an old canoe for the rack.
    Drag car support as Ryan mentioned. There were a few class racers too, but they weren't the high-end cars...
    surf wagon board on top, surf stickers and/or curtains for the back
    First call since it's already Black and high-end, you could go with a mortuary support vehicle.
    I'd suggest minor, tasteful mods that are easily reversed. Cleaning it up and getting it running well are the first priorities. Did you get the tranny working?

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Isn't it a county ordinance that the rear side windows of mid-60s wagons be adorned with period racing decals.:D Ya gotta have a Ram chargers decal on it some where!

10. chrriff

chrriff

Yep,got the car running(driving) Great. Just kept adding fluid and after about 5 quarts,it registerd to the ADD mark. Topped it off and have been cruising it on a daily basis. LOVE this car!!

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Do anything more than wheels and maybe a racing sticker or two and the nostalgia you invoke is an idiot 16 year old. Now if the nostalgia is pure 1960s speed underhood, that's a different story, go nuts.

Let the car's exterior speak for itself. There's plenty of it there to do the talking. Stance looks great!

12. chrriff

chrriff

The stance I agree looks bitchin. It was achieved purely by coincedence. When I got the car, it had the stock 14 inch tires,wheels and stock hubcaps. The tires were dry rotted and bald,so I opted to pull the tires and wheels off a 78 Cordoba I own. The wheels are 15X7 Mopar Police car wheels(with the slots,much like a corvette ralley wheel). The tires in the front are 215/70/15 and the rears are 275/60/15 with no rubbing issues at all. The previous owner installed helper leafs and coil over shocks in the rear(I think he used to tow a trailer with the wagon)thus giving it the stance it currently has.

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Want more Mopar wagon madness???? Go here..... Wagons of Steel

Cool wagon....

14. MP&C

MP&C

Load it full of kids, a picnic basket, and head to the beach!

15. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Ryan nailed it.

My first thought was ADAM-12

Save the roof rack for the spare slicks.

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

I'd have to go with setting her up as a "push car/pit support vehicle". All you need to add to the package is an open trailer with a AA/FA on top.:D

17. KATFISH

KATFISH

Put on your cop shocks, cop brakes,cop tires..

Your on your way.

18. I like the 60`s drag strip decals on the rear side glass. That`s all I`d do, don`t go overboard.

19. 81ttopcoupe

81ttopcoupe
    from Cedar Park

A vintage travel trailer, or a period drag car would be cool. Maybe some maps, travel magazines, and a portable radio from the era.

20. chrriff

chrriff

I was able to dig up some Motel Guides and an atlas from under the 3rd seat. Theres a Best Western Travel Guide dated 1971, A Motel 6 Guide which has "Feb,2 1973" Written in ink on it,and a Friendship Inns International Guide with "May 3,1973" written in ink on it.

Can you believe that going rate at a Motel 6 for a single room with a double bed was $6.60 per person in the 1973 guide I have? Its a couple of years before I was born,and its just unheard of!!

21. I had a 68 Polara wagon. Cranked the torsion bars waaaaay down, put on Torque Thrusts and drove the goof out of it. Sold it last year to a guy who also drives the wheels off it. Wagons may have not been cool in the day, but I sure thought mine was.....and that yours is, too. :)

22. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

That's how Motel 6 got it's name-- They were $6 per night.
    I know because as a kid I always wanted to stay there and my dad said it was too expensive. We stayed in the mom and pop places which were usually around $4 per night.

23. Clean it up, add an STP (the Racers Edge) sticker on each rear side window, and call it done

24. Scotch

Scotch

You could check out what I've done with my '67 Chevelle wagon. It's officially a tow vehicle for my '65 GTO, but I went a little overboard.

Things to note- tri-bar knockoff wheels (I know they're fake, but they look like '60s-era road race wheels like Cobras had), scallops (just some subtle stripes using the bodylines as a guide), and the rear view mirrors (chrome bullets from a british sportscar supply). Mine is more "road racer support vehicle" than "top fuel support vehicle" but if you're looking to give your '60s-era wagon a nostalgic '60s theme, I think you and I are among the very few in the ring...

This car also has 545 hp, a 6-speed stick, and trick road race suspension goodies all the way around. It's not truly 'traditional', but I wouldn't have posted if you weren't asking! LOL!

I remember seeing an early '60s Mopar wagon on here and the guy was wanting to letter it up in '60s-style fashion. His photoshop renderings looked cool- maybe he'll chime in too.

~Scotch~

Attached Files: