Register now to get rid of these ads!

Give thanks for the Banger Meet Nov. 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Nov 1, 2010.

1. RussTee

RussTee

just plain Bill gotta admit the Mallory beats me hands down every time for the cool factor and aint that what we are here for other wise we would all be driving hotted up rice buckets

2. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I have a dual point 4 cyl GM tach drive dizzy that goes right direction for a banger. I am in the process of making it fit my banger engine, next I gotta find a cap n rotor for it. for reliability I will use my bosch BMW dizzy on a long drive

3. Is that for a marine installation? Sound like a good swap. I have 2 or 3 mechanical tachs. a couple are the 3500 RPM marine type and I have another passenger car type with 6000 RPM's Sure like to use one on something.

4. loozer72

loozer72

Alright fellows been doing some research not allot of info. on the yf carters but did find allot on w 1 carters. How much are these things worth and how do they work look like a good choice everything is mechanical. Also how do the fsi distributors rate all my lights are 12 volt so I want a 12 ignition. Sorry for the dumb questions know about the sbc stuff but and fancy rodding my this is my first cool rod project.

5. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

sorry Bill I dont know if it was in marines or not I saw it on ebay as a used corvette dizzy with good pics of the points n cam looked like dual points with 4 bump cam. I bought it for less than $50 with shipping. The tag says it is V/8 corvette, but it goes wrong direction for chev and aint a V/8. I bought it to use on a banger going to cut down the housing and leave the shaft extra long to work in a banger like old style dizzy. should stick up hi to match the dual 81's for the wow factor along with old SW tach n speedo. On another note, just picked up a 200 R4 auto conversion from Bobby Green's OLD CROW SPEEDSHOP to put in my 28 RPU. been a deal been working on for at least 9 months. Any how will post some pics of this stuff when done

6. andyg

andyg

I'm in need of some good Model A style Culver City Halibrand quick change rebuild links / articles. Has anyone got some? Thanks

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I live in the far south east corner of el cajon, off of dehesa rd. The house with the school bus at it. The picture was taken on the hill above the berret cafe just before tecate. Are you possibly the guy that drives the yellow model a sport coupe that honks when they drive by my place? If you live close and want to go cruise the bangers send me a pm.

8. You might take a look at this, the basics are the same
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/558753715MIMBRF

There is a manual for the halibrand V8 and later models. I just saw one on Ebay. I used one for a basic guide when I rebuilt my basket case "A" halibrand. They recommend not using the axle housing gaskets, just a gasket sealer on the flanges. You set the carrier preload with shims behind the bearings on the carrier. Some have ball bearings on the pinion shaft so preloads are different. I would recommend the use of a snubber on the ring gear. I used an inch lb torque wrench with a tattle tale needle to set preloads and a .0005 indicator at the root of the spline to set pinion shaft lash/clearance.

9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nope, not me. i left home 11 years back. have a cabin up on the mountain outside Alpine, so kinda recognized that area. Used to ride from downtown via dehesa grade out to Alpine.

don't know if you can still do it, but there used to be some trails that ran from alpine to julian.

10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Nice, that would be cool if there still were trails up to julian.

11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Are you sure it's not a Mallory Double Life dual point?? I've got one for a V8 and it only has 4 lobes on the shaft. Ran it in my truck for a while.

12. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I am not sure, but have a V/8 mallory and it goes opposite direction for the tach drive and points I bought it thinking it would adapt to model A but has wrong rotation, will post some pics n see later next week

13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Mallory Double Life pics!!

Attached Files:

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Just adopted a banger today. I traded a chevy 283 straight up for a '30 Model A motor/tranny then purchased the banjo rear. He said that he had it running last week. I snatched this up because i plan on building a boat tailed speedster based off of a T frame. I have absolutly no knowledge about this engine, so any tips, knowledge, and advice would be greatly appreciated. Untill then i have ALOT of Banger Meetings to read through...

-Joe

15. 21stud

21stud
    from California

I can't seem to find what you found the voltage to the coil is? What is the voltage to the coil when the ignition is off, and with the ignition on?

16. ebtm3

ebtm3

I was going to post this back a week or so ago, when there was a bunch of discussion about coils--but couldn't find the info--

Anyway- here it is. Don't remember what the source was, but I do know that it has always checked out for me.

Ohm meter readings of primary winding--

4 ohms= 12v coil with built in resistor
    1.7-2.1 ohms= 12v, needing external resistor
    1.2 ohms= 6v
    <1 ohm= 12v for electronic ignition

Herb Kephart

17. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Just have a quick question. Is this the tire pump that was associated with a model A? The only markings I see on it, are on the base where it reads "unbreakable base". There is no Ford script but if I am not mistaken they weren't made but Ford, right?

Attached Files:

18. 51delivery

51delivery

Couple of questions a from a new banger. See my other thread about the family Model A. I will be able to start getting the car ready to move Thanksgiving. I plan on checking to see if the motor will turn over. I assume it will not after 30 years. What size socket will I need for the spark plugs? I want to try to put oil in the cylinders.

19. Reddy

Reddy

/Users/mikereddy/Desktop/DSC01719.JPG

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Just a quick report to say i took the car to a show over a long weekend, 100 miles return ran well even in the pouring rain on the way up.

[​IMG]

Now im off the road for a bit so little progress expected.

Keith

21. Reddy

Reddy

Try to post a picture of my A pickup, but no luck I'll try later
    Mike

22. Plugs can be different sizes, I have some in my motor right now that are 1 1/8''. Take a good big cresent wrench and you'll be covered on all sizes, just try not to round them off. Transmission fluid and acetone mix is what you should put in the cylinders to help break them loose if they are stuck. Chances are though if they are stuck your gonna have to disassemble the whole engine carefully for rebuild or search for another running engine. Just from my little experience with stuck engines.-Weeks

23. 51delivery

51delivery

I am thinking that finding a complete running motor is the way to go too. I think I can save some money that way.

24. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

x2..

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

This is a beautiful car. Good for you.

26. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I need the arm length and size of square hole of a Model A rear shock arm. Also any difference between Model A and AA.

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good looking roadster! nice to see you got it running.

28. windy

windy

Hi I have a question on intake manifolds , I would like to run a pair of brass stromberg OE-1 carbies & being right hand drive it will mean making a manifold .
    Does anyone know how the lenght of the runners will affect the performance ?
    I have added some pics of what I'am planing to make .[​IMG] [​IMG]

Any info would be a great help
    Allan.

29. RussTee

RussTee

I run two of those on my tee motor in my 27 roadster useing a chev head. I used exhaust bends keeping them as short as possible and not forgetting to put in a balance tube they are good carbs and run well gives a good period look

30. Reddy

Reddy

Here is the pictures try to post the other day
    Reddy[​IMG]
    [​IMG]