Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

I love that Brush.
    Speedster in a tube--nice--where can I get one?
    Nice taillight. Actually that taillight in my picture is off a ship.

Had a fairly productive day. I shellacked the back side of the deck planks. Then I made the last piece to cover the spine of the speedster body. Then I worked on the last most floorboard. Took most of the day to fit it in. Piddled around with etching designs for the instrument panel. The S is the original Seagrave logo. The other is just something I found. The designs would be connected with smaller versions at the bottom. I've been looking for something art deco but I have to incorporate the panel's mounting screws. Not easy. Got home to find my 12 foot .5" half oval brass strips but the company rolled them up. Nice! I'm going to have fun unrolling them straight. Any suggestions?

Jerry

Attached Files:

2. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

Ok, It took me a month to read this. All I have to say is Awesome!
    Keep up the great work!
    Subscribed!
    O, and thanks for taking the time to share...

3. I for one would like to see the lite with the cage up at the top when mounted or down as the next choice .. that being said do what you want and whats correct

4. patman

patman

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

The Speedster's first gig?

I ran into a couple of local banker buddies a while back who asked me what I was up to. I showed them a picture of the Speedster. They looked puzzled. "What are you going to do with that?" they inquired. I just shook my head. There was no way to explain to them the thrill of building and driving a hot rod. They were bankers. Today another bud asked me, "If you're not going to drive it in parades what are you going to do with it?" Only a car guy can understand that you can have a rotted down piece of junk under a tarp in your back yard that you peek at once a year and still be that happiest dude on the planet. It's the dream, man! The Speedster may however, have it's first gig if I can get it rolling by November 15. It doesn't have to be perfect. Every year Santa comes to Babyland General home of the Cabbage Patch Kids. Sounds corny but it's big stuff down here and also to lots and lots of people all over the world. I brought Santa in one year in my 1914 REO Runabout. I wouldn't mind making a few bucks with the Speedster. Hey, maybe Seagrave Corp. will pay me to show up at a big fire apparatus convention! Okay, enough fantasizing! I'm still trying to finish up all the stuff in the luggage/passenger compartment. I found some gray (grey) linoleum for the floorboards. After a dozen interruptions I was able to get the stuff glued onto the boards. All that's left is a couple of brass strips and the gas filler tube then it's on to the deck.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Where does the bilge pump go? Or a little more seriously, do you have a drain for the area in case of inclement weather?

7. yonahrr

yonahrr

I need one of those old brass handled bilge pumps. Actually the floorboards aren't very tight. The water will just gush out everywhere. ;-)

Jerry

8. I always enjoy checking in here to see how your getting on. Its good inspiration for my 28 Hudson speedster build. Thanks, Jeff.

9. yonahrr

yonahrr

More floorboards.

No school today so I couldn't work too much. My goal was to get the brass finished on the floorboards which I did--mostly. Then I hurried home to make sure the kids weren't destroying the house. That's it. No stories today. You're probably tired of them anyway. :)

Jerry

Attached Files:

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

All hands below deck.

I'm trying to get all the stuff done below deck so once the deck goes on for good I don't have to crawl down in there. Of course you know I'll have to crawl down in there anyway, but maybe a few less times. So as of yesterday the floorboards are done! I should be ready to screw--the deck on that is. I also put some brass studs on the gas filler. Crimping piers are the best way to cut small screws. Then I made a template to locate the stud holes and make a gasket. Cork would be traditional. Something modern might be better. I think I'll cover the filler pipe with some black leather I've got laying around. As I sand the humps off the planks I'll be thinking of how to finish the edge at the stainless tailpiece.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  11. yonahrr

yonahrr

What the Deck?!

Started screwing down the deck for the last time. Got most of the big pieces on. Just before leaving I climbed up on the mezzanine (That's a word I use to impress ya'll for a storage shelf where I throw a lot of old stuff. Hey, I found an Atari 5200 up there.) and took a few pictures. It was late and the light was low so they're not that great. Kind a neat non-the-less.

Jerry

Attached Files:

12. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I don't know about the rest of the readers of this thread but I am thinking that the Giant Speedster may be just a little too nice for Jerry. I am thinking we need a man of substance, a man of stature, a man with vision, a man with a steering wheel!
    Just kidding, the Speedster looks great and, I have to admit, I will be sorry to see the thread end.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni

Wow, it looks damn good from you mezzanine sir. Amazing how it all just comes together. I was always indifferent on the front apron, but seeing it from this angle, I love it. GO GO GO!

14. yonahrr

yonahrr

Caulk to me.

Had to scrunch down into the boattail, lay on my back and run tape under the deck seams. Kind of weird. Staring up at the planks I felt like I was a Charlton Heston playing a galley slave in Ben Hur. After the big battle scene he had the greatest ironic line of any movie ever made. Ten points if you know what it is. I'm covering the seams with brass oval but they still need to be waterproof. I hope the goop is dry by tomorrow so I can start sanding.

Jerry

Marcos, I love torturing you. You know that wheel will be the last thing I do. :)

Attached Files:

15. Ben DeBumper

Ben DeBumper

Ooh, I know!

"Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"

16. "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

17. "It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people. They're making our food out of people."

Are we close?

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

Great lines all but not the one I'm looking for. :)

Jerry

19. My death, your freedom.

Dont know if thats ironic or not, I was checking out the movie script ... probably missing it.

20. the captain wants to go water skiing..

steering wheel pix now......or this whole thing is just one big photshop project

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

As I recall he says the sales are square, you get to live.

But I don't see how that's relevant.

If it was Cagney, "you can't keep me in here copper!" (you did say you were looking through the slats :confused: )

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

"We keep you alive to serve this ship!"

I'll let you watch the movie to reveal the great irony of that statement. No pics today. Just sanded on the deck for an hour or so then spent the rest of the day making a handrail for my front steps. Mom's coming to visit from South Florida and we don't want her falling. She's 89. Tomorrow I glue in plugs. That should be very exciting.

Jerry

23. I'm on tenterhooks! :eek:

24. Oh, I saw that line but I thought one of the higher ups said that not Ben. I need to watch that movie again, havent seen it in years.

The build is really coming along ... looks great!

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

During the big rowing test Quintas Arrias (Jack Hawkins) tells the slave Ben Hur: "We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live." But later. after the great sea battle and Quintas' vessel is rammed and sunk, the humiliated Quintas tries to commit suicide by drowning. Ben Hur drags him onto some floating debris where upon Quintas asks: "Why did you save me 42?" (Quintas had little pet names for all his slaves.) Ben Hur answers: "We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live." Oh, sweet irony! The rest of the movie pivots on this event. Side note: Romans didn't use galley slaves they employed paid professional rowers with 5 year degrees in rowology from the University of Rome. Now my coffee is gone and my daily journey into irony begins. Where it will take me who can tell? But one thing I know. "They keep us alive to serve this ship. Row well and live." (Or maybe not. But it seemed like a cool way to end.) To the speedster!!

Jerry

26. yonahrr

yonahrr

Plugs!

Drilled out plugs for 20 minutes then glued and hammered. While they were drying I cut and fitted another handrail for Mom. By the time I got it tacked together the glue was pretty dry so I started chiseling off top of the plugs. I had time to sand a few of them before I had to pick up the kids at school. Tomorrow it's off to Don's to pick up the mahogany molding and two sacks of concrete. "We keep you alive to read this thread!"

Jerry

Attached Files:

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

Dang!

I got wrapped up in handrails and left my camera at the shop. I had some nifty pictures too. Well the handrails are done and in the ground so hopefully that won't happen again. In between I worked on the side molding by trimming the deck here and there. Then I set up the router table to round off the molding. I promise pictures on Monday.

Jerry

28. yonahrr

yonahrr

Recap

I got all the plugs sanded off and I went over to Don's and he cut the mahogany for my side trim. Then I set up my homemade router table and ran the trim through it to round the edges. I didn't have a small enough bit for 1/4 inch so I used some kind of ogee bit. What is an ogee? It worked good. You've always got to think ahead when you're doing this stuff so I figured I'd batter make my end piece first. That'll be the next entry.

Jerry

Attached Files:

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

Endcap

Hey, this is becoming a woodworking seminar and I'm the wrong guy to teach it. Not being much of a woodcarver I used the milling machine to hog out the wood I didn't need. You can see as far as I got before I to pick up kids at school. I was thinking a duck decoy would look good on the end or maybe one of the things on a gondola. I could get a gondolier hat and a pole.

Jerry

Attached Files: