Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

The engine was built in 1904 by the American Locomotive Co. for a guy named Lieter who started a coal mine in Ziegler Ohio. After a while it went to Arundel MD and then to Winnsboro Sc. I bought it from the scrap dealer's son.

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

While I'm waiting.

Bruce is sanding on the body so I started assembling the rest of the car. I never could figure out how to paint bolts then tighten them up without messing up the paint. Rather than touch them up afterwords I decided to use stainless nuts and washers to hold the fender braces and frame covers on. I didn't want the washers to stick out way beyond the nuts so searched for some very narrow washers. When the 3/8 washers came the inside hole was too small. Have you ever tried to drill out a washer hole? I figured out how. Stack up a bunch of washers and put them in an old Jacob's chuck. Worked great. Gotta go, Bruce is calling from the body shop.

Jerry

Just looked at the pictures. Either it's too dark in my shop or I need a tripod.

Attached Files:

3. yonahrr

yonahrr

Huh?

Got off the phone with Bruce and he said the speedster body needs more work. The left side is okay but the right side has some "puckles" in it. I picked it up and brought it back to the shop. He's right, there are about fifteen low spots of varying sizes. At least he's thinking of me. I figure about eight coats of primer and more blocking. While I'm doing that, check out this website. It's enough to make you give up on any metalwork you might think about doing.

http://www.marknugent.com.au/gallery

Jerry

Attached Files:

4. nali

nali

Strange Buick. I m not sure I like it....

I like the wood parts on the Speedster :)

5. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

I love how the SS fasteners stand out! I think it adds to the overall look.

6. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

Did you forget to paint the steering box or it suppose to be different color?

Can't wait to see it done.

7. yonahrr

yonahrr

What? You no like my gray steering box?

How do you spell gray anyway? Grey or gray? I just want to know.

Last week I had to evict some drug crazed tenants. They didn't pay the rent for three months and stole my washer and dryer too. They also trashed the carpet. This week a tenant got flooded and we had to grade the dirt in front of his building to redirect the water. You may ask why am I telling you this? It's okay, go ahead and ask. Because things like this are why it's taking me so damned long to finish the speedster!! Yesterday I shot about ten more coats of primer on the body and today I got around block sanding. I bought a nifty sanding block--2 feet long! It'll come in handy for the fenders. Ah, you forgot about the fenders didn't you. Well I haven't. They keep me up at night--tossing and tuning, tossing and turning! When will I make an end? Anyone remember The Agony and the Ecstasy with Charlton Heston? No? Quite a movie--look it up. Anyway, every day Dr. Dolittle would come in and shout "When will you make an end?" And Chuck would shout back "When you pry it from my cold dead hands!" Wait, maybe that was another movie or something. Anyway, Ol' Chuck was always quick to say something dramatic like: "Take your stinking paws off me you damned dirty ape!' Well my stinking paws felt pretty cold and dead after I block sanded for three hours. Tomorrow I'll spray on some more primer. Say, isn't tomorrow the fourth? In that case, I'll think about Chuck as I celebrate my 2nd amendment rights. Happy Fourth everyone.

Jerry

Attached Files:

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Here you go Jerry...From http://grammarist.com/spelling/gray-grey/ Hope this helps.

Gray vs. grey

Gray and grey are different spellings of the same word, and both are used throughout the English-speaking world. But gray is more common in American English, while grey is more common in all the other main varieties of English. In the U.K., for instance, grey appears about twenty times for every instance of gray. In the U.S. the ratio is reversed.

Both spellings, which have origins in the Old English grǽg, have existed hundreds of years.1 Grey gained ascendancy in all varieties of English in the early 18th century, but its dominance as the preferred form was checked when American writers adopted gray about a century later. As the Ngram below shows, this change in American English came around 1825. Since then, both forms have remained fairly common throughout the English-speaking world, but the favoring of gray in the U.S. and grey everywhere else has remained consistent.

Some people make their own distinctions between gray and grey. You can find some interesting examples in the comments below. There is nothing wrong with these preferences, but they are not borne out in broader usage. For most people, gray and grey are simply different spellings of the same word.

Both spellings are used for the participles, grayed/greyed and graying/greying, as well as for most of the words and phrases involving gray/grey. For instance, grey area/gray area, referring to an area having characteristics of two extremes, is commonly spelled both ways. So is graybeard/greybeard, referring to an older man with a beard, and gray squirrel/grey squirrel (which refer to closely related types of squirrels on opposite sides of the Atlantic). There are at least a couple of exceptions, though: greyhound, for the breed of dog, always has an e, while grayling, which refers to several types of fish, always has an a.

9. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

GGGGGGGGGGGGGG thanks 64:confused::confused::confused::eek:;)

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

Fifty shades of Grey... er Gray.

I don't know anyone who's read that book. Thank God! Well, I've got most of the rental crap behind me and today I worked on the body almost the whole day. It feels pretty straight. About 3:00 I primered it up, sprayed on my guide coat and blocked it off. The body needs another heavy coat and more blocking but that's it. I predict red paint this coming week! We're all getting a little tired of this nonsense. Although I must say my bodywork skills are improving rapidly.

Jerry

Attached Files:

11. yonahrr

yonahrr

For Immediate Press Release

July 15th 2013

The Giant Speedster left Jerry's Speedster Palace (soon to be know as Mythic Motors) for Allen's Paint and Body Shop. Bruce Allen, painter at Allen's was quoted as saying: "The hood, body, doors and cowl will be red by morning." Local officials declined to comment. Long time acquaintances of Jerry remain sceptical. One was over heard to say: "He's done this kind of thing before and nothing much has come of it." Another spoke highly of the wannabe speedster builder saying: "He means well but he's got these misguided delusions of grandeur." A candle light vigil surrounds Allen's Body Shop awaiting the outcome.

Attached Files:

12. should I send another margerine container with its current coin content?

SUCH A TEASE PROMISING A HUGE RED THING FOR ALL TO SEE...

13. I'm not sure, but I think he's serious this time. :eek:

Wake the kids. Call the neighbors. And lock up your daughters. :D

14. yonahrr

yonahrr

NEWS FLASH!!

Yes, the body is red. But of course there were problems. Of course there were problems. Problems, problems! The body is straight. Hey, my bodywork is pretty good. Bruce's application is good, smooth etc. But there are some bad spots, small craters. Not sure if it's fish eye or something else. Bottom line. The NAPA paint is shit! Money is tight, what can I say. I bought cheap paint. It looked okay on the frame covers but... I went out today and bought some PPG Concept. It's the best. It's on all my other cars. Had to put it on the card. Over $400 for 1/2 gallon. Ouch! I can't stop now. I didn't start the speedster intending to build a show car but rather a fun car. There's some kind of fable here. Luckily we only painted the body and doors. Tomorrow, I help Bruce sand.

Jerry

15. What a great project! I love seeing all the updates and can't wait to see it all together and driving.

16. not to late to go underslung ... is it?

I have not asked for sometime ...

go go GO GO BIG RED GO....

PAINT FLAWS DO NOT SHOW WELL AT OPERATING SPEED.. GET ON WITH IT ..

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

Sanding, Sanding, Sanding... Bruce said he's painting the cowl, hood and doors this evening. But this evening in Northeast GA we're getting high winds, lots of rains and even hail! Not sure if Bruce will paint or not. The power went out several times. Will know in the morning. Fate conspires against us but we will prevail!!

Jerry

18. No kidding- my house is shaking from the thunder!

19. That wouldn't be Professor Fate, would it???

(There must be someplace to add this logo to the speedster.)

FIXED THE LINK! :D I was using the URL tags instead of the YT tags. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  20. yonahrr

yonahrr

Push the button Max!!!

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

"I cannot win your way. I can only win my way."
    Professor Fate

While I sanded tiny craters out of the body, Bruce painted the hood, doors and cowl. The craters went all the way to the primer. I looked like I was bleeding from every pore of my hands. Bruce says he is painting tonight. We rolled the hood outside in the sun about 4:00. It was dazzling! You can't really see it in the picture. Take my word. Just buy some Concept. You'll be happier. Tomorrow, if all goes well, we are putting the body on the chassis. It's the only way to get the thing back to my shop.

Jerry

Attached Files:

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

One of my all time favorite films...hands down. Dad searched for years to find it on video and I loved it as a child.....wore out the tape.

Great progress on the body and paint work Jerry! Will be excited for then next update! :D

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Wow Jerry...That's RED!

24. a change in direction is just new scenery .... forword in any direction even backwards is movement...c'mon a movement is a good thing

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

Assemblation

Keith, a good friend of mine, came over and helped me load up the Speedster for it's trip over to Allen's P & B. Bruce and his dad were waiting along with a few curious spectators eager to see what kind of vehicle the half boat body went on. The trouble came when we had to put the fender welt between the body and the frame cover but it really wasn't that much trouble. After we cinched down the body we lowered the cowl in place. The right side was a little tight and I had to remove the wooden hood shelf to be trimmed later. Keith took all the picture since I left my camera in my Aveo. The Speedster looked really good on the rollback. Bruce did a great job. Hard to believe we're really on the down side of the project. Hey, I'm already thinking about the next project! I can't reveal what that is just yet. Very hush, hush!

Attached Files:

26. Looking GREAT Jerry- can't wait to see it with fenders and brightwork!!!

27. Dang, that thing really is GIANT!!! Makes that roll back look small.

Congrats on your red shiny paint. Looks great!

28. yonahrr

yonahrr