Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

My actual idea is to use the whole shape of the polished intake as the logo, something vaguely like the Waylon Jennings logo but of course with Seagrave Special in the middle. That will fill the hood side panel better and give some contrasting colors for you.

Can you repost a side shot of the motor?

2. Dapostman

Dapostman

Gold leaf, like an old fire truck.

3. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,

You have skillfully succeded in making the hood without ripples. I would suggest leaving it plain since the over 5 foot hood is one of the features of the car you want to promote rather than break it up with graphics. I would refrain from too many stripes & designs since they look a little "fire truck" like. While the car's heritage can never be hidden, It might be best to not promote the the connection.

Have you installed a good method of holding the hood open? I am sure the car will be displayed often in that state. There are few sounds more depressing than that of a propped hood crashing down, often by way of the fender, cowl or headlight. In this case it could well sever the hand of the moron with no conception of the term"DO NOT TOUCH" that caused the problem in the first place.

Jack

4. Make a partial mold of the intake
    recast a new nameplate to mount wherever
    aluminum or brass

go go go go

THAT IS A NICE PIC OF YOU WORKING STAGED QUITE WELLL

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

I had the hood on my 1950 SInger blow down at English Car day. Luckily it didn't hurt anyone or damage the paint but it did break the part of the hinge. I've been thinking about something to lock the hood into place but quite decided what.

Jerry

6. or to be sold as paperweights being bought by future
    shareholders

7. yonahrr

yonahrr

Little tiny stuff

I'm down to little tiny things. Some missing screws. A couple of dings. And a rivet I left out!! How did I miss a rivet? Crap! I started sanding the frame covers. This is going to be tedious. I actually stopped by a friend's body shop to get an estimate on painting the body. Maybe I could sell something and come up with the dough. How much could it be? 2K? 3K?

Jerry

Attached Files:

8. new clean brushes and rollers and have all them kids paint it... how bad could it be?

9. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

I had a 1953 International Metro when I was a hippie in the early 70's. Nobody believed I painted it with a roller but I did. Yellow over brown. (I had no color sense then--still don't) It had a real bad case of orange peel. I wish I could find that van now. I drove it all around the country. Now that Mr. O is back in office I don't expect an economic boom (read drastic rise in my rental income) so I'll probably take all the parts over to Don the Morgan guy and paint them in his booth. I'll have to listen to him tell me I'm doing it all wrong but it'll be real entertaining. Probably worth a video.

Jerry

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I'd love to see some pictures of that '53 International Metro. Could be fun seeing you as a hippie too. :p

Go ahead and paint it yourself Jerry. You have done everything else on the car and it's looking great. A video of the process would be good. You could show all of us other garage monkeys what we need to do.:D

12. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I think you should paint it yourself. You have done everything else yourself but mine the ore for the metal parts. To "give in now" makes you sound like a quitter ;) Just kidding, of course. Personally, I hate painting (especially the paint prep) although seeing the finished product is always satisfying. I have really enjoyed this thread and will miss it once the Speedster is done.

13. yonahrr

yonahrr

I know this looks bad but...

Yes, it looks like a LOT of bondo but it's really just a candy coating--about an 1/16" max. It's gonna look good, I promise. And it's only on the very front where it was hard to get the English wheel in there. Hey, I coulda primed it and you'd a never known. But I'm a totally open guy with no secrets. Is this hurting the resale value? Someone told me I should have built the whole car in secret and sprung it on the car world like some just discovered barn find. I could have made up a fictitious history for it. Indian Rajah built it as a tiger hunting car. Vanderbilt had it made to tool around Biltmore. Being an (ahem-famous) novelist I'm good at things that. Damn! Now I've blown my chance at the big bucks.

Jerry

Attached Files:

14. tell us the story again.... once lie....er stories are repeated correctly enuf times on the interweb its then considered non fiction

15. brad2v

brad2v

Plus, I have a terrible memory. But also, no money, so I guess you won't be making your fortune via a sale to me. Still, perpetuate the ah, 'history' and yea, it shall indeed become the truth.

16. hmmm as my memory serves...
    a brawny towel man look alike ladder truck driver/pizza man wanting to turn professional hunting squirrels was hurt while girding his loins and and needed a crude repair to the hand stitching was overcome with fumes form a poor running carb shared hiS riveting adventure sporadicly on the web page HA............

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hey, Paperdog, maybe you're the Ahem, famous novelist.

No offence to bodymen everywhere but bodywork is boring. To me anyway. Maybe because I suck at it. In fact, I suck so bad I had a major screw up day before last. Now most guys would never reveal what I am about to tell you but given my tell all, bare your soul policy, I have no secrets. So I had just finished sanding down the bondo you'd seen in the previous pictures and the weather was perfect for spraying primer. I dragged the fenders outside, set them up on sawhorses and went back inside and mixed up the primer. After donning my mask I sprayed the two cups of primer on the fenders. They looked pretty good. When I went back inside to clean the gun with lacquer thinner I spied something awful--the can of activator on the bench. I'd forgotten to put it in the primer. What an awful feeling! What to do next? I cleaned the gun and went home. The next day I came back, filled a tub with lacquer thinner, put on some gloves, grabbed a scuffy pad and scrubbed all that worthless primer off the fenders. What a mess! Today I resprayed the fenders--activator and all! Now--more sanding and filling and priming. Boring! Yes, I turn off the heater when I paint. :)

Jerry

Attached Files:

18. Oh oh wooo memories whhhh oooo memories

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

At least you left the catalyst out. My favorite trick using the WRONG catalyst, and having the primer turn to jelly in the gun. I've done it twice. Looking good!

Brian

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

My name is Bondo, James Bondo.

Bondo. It strikes fear in the hearts of all true restorers. Actually most apply it behind closed doors. A friend who used to import cars in the 70's told me Ferraris of that vintage were filled with bondo. So I'm down to the rear fenders and just a little bit on the doors. Hey, I could be applying color soon. :) That's scary! :( Also, I've made a color decision. Dark red fenders and body. Burgundy (dark red not brownish) running board and fender brackets and frame covers. On the opposite end of the car size spectrum Alex and I went to the Microcar Museum in Madison Ga. Bruce Weiner, the Double Bubble King, is closing the place down and auctioning off all the cars. This was that last time you could see the collection intact.

Jerry

Attached Files:

21. Well there goes another museum that I waited too long to go visit. :( While you were there you should have bought a Messerschmidt for a dinghy to tow behind the Speedster! :D

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Naw, turn the boat tail into a clamshell and keep the Messerschmidt instead of a spare tire.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

I once had some firemen decide to paint the hand tools on one of the engines. They went to the paint locker, found the paint that matched the engine, and brushed the tools. Monday when I came to work, the tools were still tacky. And Tuesday. And Wendsday. And Thursday. Are you seeing the pattern here? On the following Monday, I diluted some activator, and sprayed right over the tacky paint. Not great, but good enough for work tools. Bob.

24. Jerry, when is he closing the doors?

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

As far as I know they're closed now. RM is doing the auction. The lot numbers were already on the windows. I think it's listed on the RM website. Hey, Alex got picked to play in the top band in the Young Harris College Honor Band. Not bad for a 7th grader. Did you participate it that event.

Jerry

26. No- gotta remember that I grew up as a yankee :), although I did make it to districts/regionals/states up in PA.

Tell Alex I said congrats!

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

Where's the posts, ya lazy bum!

Happy Thanksgiving! Day after Thanksgiving my furnace went out. All work on everything stops when your house has no heat. Carrier/Bryant if you want to know. 90% efficient. Wonderful! Environmental! Green! Except when the condensing heat exchanger clogs up and the thing can't breath. Then the roll off switch trips and the furnace shuts down so your house doesn't burn up. Good thing. Of course it was half clogged up all last year and I didn't notice. Then it polluted like hell! So I spent two days taking it apart. There is no way to clean the secondary heat exchanger short of an acid bath. It's like a cheap Chinese radiator. There was a class action suit which Carrier settled that no one knew about unless your heater broke. So I'm going to call them on Monday. Does anyone believe I'll get a new heat exchanger out of this? No heat is very demoralizing. I don't mind working in a cold shop but I can't live in a cold house. Sorry to rant. This is what happens when I can't get my work in the shop therapy. :)

Jerry

Attached Files:

28. get them kids busy building the Lego heat exchanger it will work just fine add a few armed warriors and it will last until the newly bought toys for xmas need the missing pieces ...

29. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

Had the same furnace problem 2 years ago. Turns out the goverment made all companies guarantee their heat exchangeres for like 20 years. I had to pay the service guy like $120 labor though.

30. David Chandler

David Chandler

After reading all 116 pages so far, i will make one comment. You should buy that other Seagrave, build in in secret, and then claim is is a barn find.
    Other than that, perhaps brass oar locks on the back end, might look right at home? Oh yeah, I agree that it needs those fender aprons. I would take my hat off to you on your work so far, if I was wearing one.
    Good Luck!