Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Here is a boat tail speedster Diamond T my dads friends in Seattle built a decade ago.

http://66.154.44.164/forum/showthread.php?t=263656

Despite the popcorn gallery's opinions, its fun as hell to drive and while everyone's taste vary the guys at Close Enough Engineering have alot of talent and a great sense of humor. As for the quality of their other builds, anyone seen their Alfa, low 12s in the quarter with the sidecar and its a blast to drive as well.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. yonahrr

yonahrr

I've seen a few pictures of that car. It's real cool. I wondered what it was built from.
    Jerry

3. Wow- doesn't look it from the last chassis pic you posted! You could always notch the frame a bit.

4. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Don't worry about trying to lower it. Let if be as tall as it wants to be. It'll be more impressive and outrageous that way.

But remember to include some sort of steps on the side to climb up into the thing.

:cool:

5. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

I agree, High and Mighty it should look.
    Lowering it into the weeds would spoil the effect.

6. Here are some of the details. 2 years ago it was looking a little worn, but like all creative minds they've moved onto the next project and this one became a summer loaner.

http://jalopnik.com/378124/what-would-a-diamond-t-roadster-have-looked-like

My dad met the guys when he owned an art gallery in the late 60's and one of them has always had a studio/hangout/garage to work on projects like this ever since.

7. I'm excited about this thread... can't wait for updates. Good luck!

8. kookee

kookee

That video was pretty neat. I love the mechanical aspect of the engine design. Can't wait to see more!

9. Wasn't suggesting "into the weeds"... just about impossible anyway :D- just thinking about the look of race cars of the era. Most have the hubs around the same height as the frame rail.

10. alsancle

alsancle

Attached Files:

11. yonahrr

yonahrr

I started putting the pistons and cylinders back in. The rods had giant bearings held in by little brass screws. The crank journals were all the same diameter and I saved the exact shims that came from each rod. After a piston went in I hung a cylinder on the engine hoist, oiled it up and eased it down over the piston. I had to make up a huge ring compressor. I was surprised how smooth it all went. This engine is real precise. The rod bearing shims were very thick not paper thin like other engines I've worked on.
    Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the two colors on the block and cylinders.

13. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

This one has my vote, it looks like th proportions are about right. Get after it! I cant wait to see it finished.

Attached Files:

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wonder what these guys would have to say about you new HOT ROD firetruck??

[​IMG]

15. Cool build! Have you thought about putting a blower on it a'la early Bentleys? With 4:1 compression you might get away with running a GMC huffer off the crank.

16. yonahrr

yonahrr

I talked to some guys on the Seagrave Owners site. They were cool with it since the truck was a total write off.
    Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

Man, I'd love to find some big vintage blower. The low compression ratio would be perfect for it.
    Jerry

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

I'd have to put it in front like a Bentley. Maybe there's some late model supercharger that would work.
    Jerry

19. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jay leno's with tank motor, and a 1915 hispano suiza

20. greaser

greaser

Jerry, Great machine you have there!...Good luck with it, I'm hooked!

21. carbuilder

carbuilder

Ezdusit Rodney has a great unique diversified collection of vehicles. I think the polished Packard boat tail Was the one I helped Rodney & Steve build the initial body for at Lazze's in 2006.

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

I'm waiting for some oilers to arrive for the lifters. I saw some galling going in on when I took them out. So I started to work on the pedals. Someone robbed the release bearing fork so I made one up. I don't know if anyone's ever used speedymetals.com But if you need a small bit of any type of metal these are your guys. I ordered some brass round stock from them and with some shaft and bar stock turned it into a release fork and shaft. The trans has no synchros on these early vehicles so these guys used a brake to slow down the input shaft so the gears will mesh. It looks like a little clutch and has friction material on it. It works fantastic when it's adjusted right. Without it you'll grind every gear. I got everything mounted and with all my might I couldn't push the clutch. Those guys were brutes! I going to take the clutch apart and remove some of the 14 springs. This rig ain't pulling a 2 ton ladder rig anymore so I think it'll be fine.
    Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

23. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

The big GM style roots blowers run on two stroke diesels, and normally provide around 4psi boost on the original engine (for exhaust scavenging), when run at very close to crankshaft speed.
    Now a two stroke fires every revolution, but a four stroke only every second revolution. So your 1,000 CID four stroke might work with a blower from around an original 500 CID two stroke diesel.
    A pretty rough sizing guide, but maybe somewhere to start.

Something like an 8/71 GM blower off a 568 CID two stoke might be about right size for lowish boost pressure. A 12/71 GM blower (852 CID) would give more boost, maybe around 6 to 7psi as a rough guess.
    With modern gasoline, and the very low original compression ratio, the engine should not have any problem coping with that.
    A supercharger makes far more sense than trying to increase the rpm to increase power.
    Here is a picture of the famous blower Bently:
    [​IMG]

Another way would be to run some differential gears off the front of the crank, and sit a smaller displacement blower vertical in front of the engine.
    Sveral blown vintage engines did exactly that. If you chose your diff carefully, a fairly wide range of alternative gear ratios would be available for adjusting the final blower speed.
    Here is a picture of a vertical mounted roots blower on a V16 Auto Union race car.
    There were many other engines of that era that used a similar vertical mounted roots blower.
    [​IMG]

Something like a 3:1 to 4:1 step up ratio of speed through a right angle drive would open up a far wider choice of available blower sizes for you.
    And a vertical mounted roots blower would also add to the uniqueness and vintage appearance.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  24. yonahrr

yonahrr

Inside the Clutch.

I opened the clutch. It's a massive thing built into the flywheel. It had about 14 springs. I took out 6. After reassembling the clutch was much lighter. Still heavy by modern standards but at least pushable. I also threw in a shot of the inside of the transmission. Despite a little surface rust it's in great shape.

Jerry

Attached Files:

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really neat, yonahrr. I've got a similar idea but not on such a massive scale...an AA frame and a Buick 320 straight eight. Considering using an actual wooden boat for the body...upside-down...we'll see. Quick question for you...with the clutch so darned hard (impossible) to disengage, I have to ask, did you get the clutch-fork and related linkage ratios correct? I imagine you did...just a thought. Good idea removing some clutch-springs. Good luck with the rest of your project! BTW, I like this one...
    [​IMG]

26. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

Maybe a V radiator like this one will float your boat.

Attached Files:

• sped.jpg
      sped.jpg
      File size:
      360.1 KB
      Views:
  27. yonahrr

yonahrr

I like that car, especially the radiator and wheel covers but the body suggests 1910-1914. I want to keep within the 1923 time frame. How about the original Chitty.

Attached Files:

28. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Here's one I saw at Hershey. Very nice, but I bet it took big $.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

Lifters

The Rhino is pretty cool. I haven't seen it in person but it looks awesome. 1000cid is 17 liters but the sign says 15 liters so I guess they sleeved it down, probably to take those aluminum pistons. I cleaned up all the lifters. You guys thought roller tappets were something new. Here they are in 1923. The lifters lacked somewhat in the lube department, though. Splash just wasn't enough. Some of them showed a little galling. I drilled an oil hole and I'm going to put in an oil cup somewhere to feed them oil.
    Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

30. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

When I lived in Colorado in the early '70's...there was a antique car restoration shop in Loveland, that was coverting these old fire trucks into speedsters.

Maybe someone in the area knows about the shop...still in business?