Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

Pics

Hah!

Luckily, I took 2 pictures with the old stand by camera. So here at the Giant Speedster Project you don't miss a thing.

Jerry

Attached Files:

2. ThomasT

ThomasT

Jerry your video is beyond awesome and I cannot wait to see more videos showing you driving it around.

3. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

I know you are all about the details so - where does the little hood prop stick go when the hood is closed? Is there a designated copper tube mounted somewhere in the engine area? Or are you going to be like us normal people and just through it in the tool box?

Love your build.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

It's doubtful that Jerry would ever do something"normal". :p

5. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay what will be the road use hood holder upper thingie ?
    ooops

please read all posts before typing duh

6. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hood holder upper thingy.

What, you don't like my stick with a rag on top?

I had a bad experience with a hood holder upper thingy. I have this 1950 Singer Nine. You don't see them around much. It's an interesting car. English, mechanical brakes, no water pump. Drives nice, stops bad. I was at a show and had the hood propped up with something when a stiff breeze came along. It picked up the hood, the hood holder upper thingy fell out, the hood dropped in a wrong way and broke the hood hinge holder thingy. So I've kind of put off making a hood holder upper thingy for the speedster because I want it to be substantial and wind proof. But the time is drawing nigh (I've always liked that word--nigh) to think about it. A folding something would be good. Or something with a pin.

Jerry

7. Maybe a hood holder upper and downer thingy with grabber thingies on each thingy end that grabifies on the hood and the engine/chassis. Mebbe something along the lines of carabiner thingies only much cooler and appropriate for a yak and squirrel pizza cooking thingy.

8. yonahrr

yonahrr

9. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

How about 2 pieces of (heavy wall brass would look good) pipe that will telescope one inside the other. ( the inside one could be solid rod). Fasten the ends to the hood & the cowl with pivot brackets, drill several holes for different heights & lock it with a hairpin from a farm supply. The pin could live in a hole near the end when the hood is closed. There would be some geometry to figure out.

10. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Or, instead of holes and pins, you could have a nice brass knob set screw type thingy. Then you could hold the hood(s) open at any height from barely open to maxed out 9sort of like the angle adjustment for a drafting table)
    [​IMG]

Or something along these lines;

[​IMG]

Bobby

11. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Bobby,

I agree that those would look great & work but are not foolproof.

I have owned numerous large pusher busses & most have had very well made & complex engine door holding devices that involve ratchets, cogs, etc. I do not think I have seen one that has been in the repair garage at least once that does not have a hole drilled through the prop at the open position & a pin inserted through the hole, the pin (a 4" nail) is usually welded to a length of dog chain attached to the bracket. A pin is almost Murphy proof & close to moron proof.

Jack

12. okay off with the hood

all external from each opposite side like a small human with monster blood -- your kids would be fine

13. yonahrr

yonahrr

I love large pusher buses! The older the better. Have you got one now, Jack? Post a picture. Schools out again today--MLK--but I'm going to sneak away to the shop anyway. The hood prop will be tricky because of the hood structure and where to mount the bottom end. The hood is so long I hate to put the prop at one end. I like the hole and pin. Simple! I'm hoping an inspiration will hit me and I won't have to actually think too hard.

Jerry

14. ThomasT

ThomasT

Good morning Jerry, the solid rod like the 50's Ford had would be simple and you could add a latch so that the bent upper end (that fits into the hood) could not come loose would work.

15. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,

There is an easy solution to that- install a prop at both ends. The hood would then be very stable in the wind at a show.

This is a 1947 CanCar clone of a Flxble made in Canada. It has a fresh Cummins 6 cylinder diesel & 5 speed overdrive transmission. It does not need to stay in the slow lane on the freeway! Kind of a giant speedster from another perspective.

Jack

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      530.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      529.5 KB
      Views:
  16. my ol 52 Buick had a center hood prop so the hood could open left or right ...maybe something that pivots up from your deck board / frame covers ...one that folds up from the center or two that fold up on each end .. their length determined by the highest open hood point they could even cross in the center and hold down each other like a banquet tables folding legs

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

I like that bus! Gary Wales' L Bestioni sold at the Jackson Barrett auction in Scottsdale for $99,000. Seems like he's got to be disappointed. Movies coming later tonight!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  18. I think you meant to say "they could even cross in the center and grabify each other". ;)

19. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Jack,

Sounds like sound reasoning to me.
    Great bus!!

I think Murphy from the infamous Murphy's Law has his fingers into most of these hood prop rod pies. It seems to be a universal consant that the only gust of wind, ever, would show up just as soon as you walked out of arms reach of the hood in question.

Bobby

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

I just figured out you can turn the phone sideways to get a wide picture. Duh.

Jerry

21. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Fantastic Jerry!!

I can't wait to see it flying down the road

Bobby

22. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

Are you going to do some pin stripping or maybe some gold leaf to break up all the red?

Looks great Jerry.

23. yonahrr

yonahrr

If I could find a great pinstriper willing to donate his services to a great cause I could see something happening. Otherwise pinstriping will have to wait for a while. I've got to find money for tires and fender paint. Fenders first. Not sure about color. Black? Burgandy? Goldleaf might be a little bright for me. I'm probably going to drive the speedster down to a vacant shop (1/4 mile away--film at 11) I have and shoot some clear on the deck. Then I could use my shop to finish the body work on the fenders and hang the heater. Just a thought.

Jerry

24. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,

Have you ever used one of these? http://www.beugler.com/

It takes some practice but they do work. You do need to use "One Shot" sign painters' paint to have good results.

By the time you have your band saw & all of the other equipment in your shop striped up you might be ready to try the Speedster.

From the been there - done that point of view, it is a lot easier to stripe the body & chassis without the fenders installed.

Jack

25. 31Atudor

31Atudor

Keep the hood rods in the way.
    When Murphy visited Ford, he moved the rod from the front to the side on some Fairmonts. Owners and others slammed the hoods with the prop rod in place. You used to see them running down the road with a big kink on the drivers side.

26. Thank God! That was making me crazy shouting "ROTATE THE CAMERA!" at my monitor. I was going to say something but I knew you'd figure it out soon enough. ;)

By the way... Leno's got nothing on you! :D

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

A buddy of mine has one new in the box. I'm sure he'd let me practice with it. :)

28. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hold on there!

I had to take off the hood shelf on the right side and sand the underside because the hood was a little too close. Then there was all this careful measurement, then careful drilling, then careful screwing. So one side has the hold downs on it. Now the exhaust side is a different story. I was a little hesitant about installing the piece under the pipes because I know it's going to get scratched all to hell when I latch the hood down on it. So I'm going to make a substitute piece for the time being out of an angle just to latch the hood down.

Jerry

Attached Files:

29. No time for that now! Get out of the bedroom and finish the speedster!