Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. the huge red _____ will always get the girl

2. jr9162

jr9162

For a US made key switch (ignition?) go to the junk/salvage yard and find one outta an old Ford tractor or a mid-fifties Buick.

I really don't recommend driving the speedster down to Florida. The peninsula is surrounded by salt water on 3 sides. Once cubic mile of salt air contains 100 pounds of salt. Not good for brass and copper. Much less ferrous particles.

3. yonahrr

yonahrr

Speedus Interruptus

The temp went down to 2 degrees. I ran out of propane at the house. A pipe froze and busted in my garage. Grandma's Septic tank backed up and overflowed. They postponed school 2 days. I'm still recovering. Maybe tomorrow I can get to the shop.

4. yonahrr

yonahrr

Electrical Setback

More Chinese quality problems. I got the panel installed and I was working on hooking up the light switch panel when I noticed there was no current to anything. The master disconnect quit working. I had to take everything apart. There's something flookey with the disconnect. You have to play with it to get it to work. Also the Dolphin fuel gauge instructions aren't quite right. They show a ground terminal on the gauge which the instructions show to hook up (most fuel gauges don't have a ground terminal, but this is a new fangled gauge, so what do I know)--but if you hook it up the gauge will peg out. I had to disconnect that. So tomorrow I have to fiddle with the disconnect. If I can't get it to work reliably I'll just do away with it! Yeah! Who needs it any who?

Jerry

Attached Files:

5. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry, Usually the fuel gauge has a hot terminal to the ignition switch & a ground terminal that goes to ground through the sender in the tank. Often the lack of working is due to the gas tank not being grounded to the frame of the vehicle. Maybe yours is different?

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What Jack said…

7. yonahrr

yonahrr

Jack,
    The gauge had a hot terminal, a sender terminal and ground terminal. If you grounded the ground terminal it pegged the gauge. If you put the sender wire on the ground terminal it pegged the gauge. Weird. I think some senders are grounded back through the gauge. I used the stock Mustang sender that came with the tank which only had one wire. I didn't look at the sender that came with the gauge set, but the instructions said the gauge would work with most stock senders.

Jerry

8. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,
    See page 17 of http://www.docskustom.com/pdf/dolphin_install.pdf

It shows I - power, S - sender, G - ground . There is also some discussion of the Dolphin sender having a different resistance value. Maybe hook it up loose with the body grounded & see if it works.

Jack

9. yonahrr

yonahrr

Jack, You're like having my own personal research department. Super. Thanks Jerry

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

Instruments
    How did things that make music, things that show what's happening inside a machine and things that you operate on a human body with all get the same name?

So the instrument panel is in and everything works. I know, I know the wiring looks like a traveling monk did it but I really intended to do all the wiring with the entire dash board out. But I just didn't have the heart the rip it out after I got it all in. There was no way to do a neat job working through a those holes. Beside, does electricity really care if the wires are neat and orderly? Hey, remember those old TV's of the 60's before they had printed circuits and that mess of wiring and solder inside the chassis? How did those things ever work? I think I'm going to put a red light in the old brass dash light just for the hell of it. Now, besides the headlights and taillights, which I'm going to ignore for now, there's just the fuel pump and fuel gauge wires to hook up.

Jerry

Attached Files:

11. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Hey, I don't see any messy wires, so they must not exist. I'm pretty sure it's neat and orderly behind those gauges.

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Really liking that brass panel Jerry. The red light is a good idea, it protects your night vision and you know that you want to be able to see well at night so you don't run into a Yak when you are flying down the back roads of Upper Mongolia.

13. yonahrr

yonahrr

Probably won't be doing much night driving but I like your thinking. :) More septic tank problems today. This is a bunch of sh*t. I learned that the new systems have a filter before the drain field that can clog up. Take heed and clean them out. Yak! I mean Yuk!

Jerry

14. We don't say "full of..." or "a bunch of..." especially around travelling monks. We say "that has an especially high fecal content."

---
    Sent from the pits of dispair app. Wirelessly, of course.

15. yonahrr

yonahrr

Start up tomorrow?

Today a friendly Frenchman came to my shop. He looked the speedster over and asked my how long I'd been working on it. Three and a half years or so I told him. He smiled politely and said: "Tu et un ane." Those Frenchmen a nice bunch.

The wiring is done for the time being although it needs a little tidying up. I spent too much time making some wire holders because I couldn't stand the plastic clips. It would have looked better if I didn't use the plastic wires. If someone doesn't like it I'll tell them: "Tu et un ane."

Jerry

Attached Files:

16. Ummm, Mr. Jerry? When did a donkey enter the picture? Are you giving up yaks now?

17. yonahrr

yonahrr

Donkey? You mean that guy called me a donkey? Well, I guess that's better than a yak's ass.

18. Tu et cul d'Yak? :confused:

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

Ummm, google translate:

For "Tu et un ane" comes up with "you and a donkey." :confused:

20. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR> <TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by nexxussian [​IMG]
    Ummm, google translate:

For "Tu et un ane" comes up with "you and a donkey." :confused:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Obviously a friendly Frenchman commenting on the seating capacity of the giant speedster. Using the familiar "tu" intead of the more formal "vous" indicates he considers Jerry a friend.

If he had said "tu etes un ane" with a few accents, that would be a whole different thing!

The question at hand is who on the long list of people waiting for a ride in the beast is the donkey???

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

Well it's finally here. I had to do some final hook ups which included working on the fuel pump for an hour. New pump wouldn't pick up gas--go figure. I went back to the shop this evening at 7:00PM while Alex was at Hapkido and made the video. Back at home I had to learn how to upload the video from my phone to youtube. That took an hour and the actual upload took another hour and a half. Maybe this will work. Enjoy.

Jerry

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  23. Freakin' awesome, Jerry! I wish I could get the chance to follow that down the road some day. It has to sound incredible out that stove pipe!

24. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

The question on everyone's mind.... after the successful starting and running of the Giant Speedster... how was the pizza after being cooked in the Speedster oven?

25. .. and did the pizza have Yak as a topping :D?

Man, I love that BEAST of a car, Jerry!!!

26. Looks and sounds great! Your work is top notch.

27. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Phenomenal!!! Absolutely phenomenal!

Congrats on reaching such a great milestone

Bobby

28. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Sweet sound of success.

Make sure all is lubed, I heard some metallic squeaks early in that video. Might have been from water pump area.

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

Good ear there, Builtfer. I think the water pump was dry. I've since filled up the cooling system. I also went hunting for water pump lube which couldn't be found except in a poor modern equivalent. I found some stuff on the web called Lubriplate for marine engines and was cheap until I checked the shipping which was excessive. Then I checked ebay and found an NOS 5 lb can of Wolf water pump lube for $10.00. That's what I like--the good old stuff!

Batten down the hatches!

I need to get the hood locked down before I pull the speedster out into the light. I got the handles on and then mated the hood hold downs I bought with the little pieces that go on the hood. All the mismatched ebay stuff has to be made to work together! I also ordered some brass cotter pins for the hood hold downs. Once I pull the speedster out I can clean the shop out and install my chicken house heater. No more listening to that little jet engine floor heater.

Jerry

Well, I had some picture of handles and things but they were on my new phone and are apparently too big because they are taking forever to upload. I'll have to figure out how to change the resolution or size or something. :)

30. nexxussian

nexxussian

Good to hear it run. :)

Not as good as it was for you, I'm sure. :D