Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

You got to tell me how to get the bezel and glass off. :)

Jerry

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

They got 'em on somehow... Pry off the back metal edge of the face bezel I guess. Probably likely to mess them up, but if it worked you could put Seagrave emblems on the gauges instead. Depends on how much risk you want to try with them.

3. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Happy New Year Jerry & all!

This is not really related to the Giant Speedster other than the 1013 cid engine could be idled down to a good background beat, particularly with the great exhaust system. Just the same it is worth sharing; this is a 104 year old steam engine in a Swedish boat performing as a member of a Blues trio!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...U_oiDaprMsXw&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13885753493446

4. yonahrr

yonahrr

Fantastic Jack, I can picture a whole band in your launch putting over the lake playin the blues. Better wait till spring though. Happy New year all.

Jerry

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  5. yonahrr

yonahrr

I tried prying and bending a while back but they've got that bezel on real good. The Brits had a good system on the old Smiths gauges. A quarter turn and the bezel was off. I've even delicately bent up the bezel on the back side of some gauges but these bezels are on real tight. The best solution is--and I kid you not--to shoot the letters with a laser. I saw were they shot some black letters with a laser. The black was vaporized and the white background was untouched. Anyone got a laser? Or I could go with the flow and get a Dolphin mascot for the radiator.

Jerry

6. A laser? Most of us here aren't even allowed to have pointy scissors! :eek: Anybody in your area doing laser tattoo removals?

If you go with the dolphin mascot you should probably add a big, black, waxed, handlebar moustache. :D That'll keep 'em guessing.

7. ...but you are NOT allowed to get a dolphin tattoo.

8. yonahrr

yonahrr

Ancient text.

While scavenging the hidden deserts of Azakon-dar I found an ancient text, possibly Rosicrucian or Babylonian or Egyptolucian, but it was based on a much older text--Denisovan or even Homohabalon. It depicted in cryptic code the key to automotive wiring. I copied it as best I could before it dissolved into dust--you see I had neglected to take proper precautions before opening the tomb. But then, I was being chased by Hadan and his bandits. That's another story....

Luckily, I saved the copy of the text because I needed it today. All I did was cut wire, twist off those little plastic ferrels, solder and heat shrink. I know it wasn't very "period." But I don't want the wiring to come apart under the intense shaking of the mighty 1000cid power plant. I'm saving all the "period" wiring for were it will be seen. I know, I know--but you won't tell will you? If you do, I'll send for Hadan and his bandits.

Jerry

Attached Files:

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

So, I'm little slow, but you must have coated the entire piece with wax, then carved out your pattern, then into the etching bath? That's great, the finished panel (in a later post) looks fantastic. Nice job with the layout, it's really neat, a nice touch and makes the dash look "authentic".

Brian

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

Brian, I took the panel to the sign shop. He cut out the pattern I gave him on his sign cutter in vinyl and stuck it to the panel. I put wax on the back of the panel to keep the solution from eating the back. After I etched the panel I pulled off the sign vinyl and scraped off the wax. Voila! It's hard to put all that down in words. If it's still unclear I'll try again. :)

Jerry

11. Wire good. Keep Grog warm when burn. What? Oh, FIRE not WIRE. Um, nevermind.

Those strange symbols were created by the Electrocrucians...

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Jerry, I gotcha! Very nice work.

Brian

13. legtrigetry still is new

14. yonahrr

yonahrr

Is everybody warm?

It was so cold I had to wait until about 12 to work in the shop. Then it was more wiring. I think all the short wires are run. Next is hooking up the instrument panel and light switches. I still have to run some long wires for the lights and fuel pump. But that'll be later. I also ordered a terminal block from O'Reilly's to make it easier to wire up the lights and fuel pump when the time comes. Hey, you like my hanging instrument panel? I figured it would be less hassle when it comes to screwing things up--I mean screwing things on.

Jerry

Attached Files:

15. master battery disconnect is ?

16. yonahrr

yonahrr

Right in the center of the dash disguised as a magneto switch.

Attached Files:

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

holy cow! I haven't look at this thread in a long time. amazing progress!

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

You mean there are other threads to look at? :)

19. yonahrr

yonahrr

Cccccold!!

You guys up north probably think we're a bunch of pansies down here when it comes to the cold. Well we are! And we don't like to spend no money on no heating fuel neither. And our shops ain't got no insulation--at least mine don't! I keep sayin I'm gonna put some in but come spring I plum forgit all bout it. Reckon why?

I did get the instrument panel wired and in, although I broke the ignition switch--what a piece of crap! I had to buy another. Is everything made in China? I'd like to find an good old USA key switch but so far it's eluded me. I still have to dechrome the little gauge illuminator light in the center. Anyway, we're getting close to a crank up and crank up means a drive. Whoo Hoo!

Jerry

Attached Files:

20. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Jerry did I miss it or are you still working on the seat?

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

I let the seat slide for the time being since A-I don't have the right skills and B-I don't have the money to pay anyone right now. Something will happen to break this problem. It always does. :)

Jerry

22. jr9162

jr9162

Actually it was Admiral David G. Farragut who stated Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead during the Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Farragut

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Jerry.Have you tried the Eichlin(?) brand of switches?Try their "marine"use switches.Love the progress.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Echlin, sold at NAPA

25. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Jerry,

When looking for a switch it would be good to ask for one rated for 6 volts. The contacts will be much heavier than a 12 volt unit.

You might find one at a marine supply outfit with a brass nut.

The etching looks great!!

Jack

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I kinda hate to say it, but those gauges look out of context in the beautiful dash panel. How about having them refaced? A buddy of mine laid out graphics and printed new vinyl face for the Harley Davidson speedo I used in my '36 that matched the original face. They're easy to take apart, and just plop the new overlay on the modern face. Black and white the more period graphics would look much, much more appropriate. But, everybody's a critic…

Brian

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

I searched a long time for gauges for the speedster. On my REO speedster I used an assortment of vintage gauges but I didn't want to do that on the Seagrave. I gave new faces a lot of thought. The problem is I don't see any way to take these gauges apart unless you bend up the bezel. Now I've done that on other gauges with soft aluminum bezels but I hate to mess these up. I might try it after the speedster is up and running. I've got an extra oil pressure gauge I can experiment on. If someone knows the secret of Dolphin bezel removal pass it on.

Jerry

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Check with one of the "Dolphin safe" tuna companies. :p

29. Waiting for warmed oven pics ... Will frozen yak make you kack?

30. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Or will over-cooked squirrel make you hurl?