Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Getting that Exhaust Sound Just Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53CHKustom, Sep 21, 2014.

1. pitman

pitman

Summit carries a Cherry Bomb Vortex that worked for my four-banger just fine.
    Quieted it down, nice exhaust note and w/a hood on, people kept asking "what's in there?"

2. Read this MUFFLER thread from Chevy Talk. I have been searching for the correct muffler for some time now.
    Pay attention to posts written by "Murco" of Porter Muffler.
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/312536/tp/2/

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. the-rodster

the-rodster

I just put exhaust on my shoebox last week.

SBC, two inch pipes, 17 inch Brockman mellow tone steel packs.

Muttley likes this.
  4. If you click on this link, you can reply to "street rod lover", by hitting the red REPLY box, then type your message to make your arrangements.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/detroit-mi-fri-night-autorama-pis.868568/

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  5. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Ok the exhaust finally was done. Here is a video showing what it sounds like after replacing plugs with AC Delco, Belden wires, adjusting the throttle and 2" pipes with 22" brockman glasspacks. I haven't gotten used to the difference on the pipes going from 1.5" to 2.0" and scraped going up my driveway. Next time I will put the rear bags higher than the setting I was going by with my old exhaust setup. When I stepped on the pedal inside my garage the video cutout prior. I will shoot more video soon.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Here are a bunch of pictures:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

7. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

8. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

1. The exhaust note sounds a little deeper at idle and less "put put put put"
    2. The brakes are ok when driving so far.
    3. I feel a little more power from the car now, it doesn't feel quite as sluggish. I noted this after the exhaust not after plugs and wires.
    4. After the exhaust work, the transmission is now shifting a little harder and takes longer for it to go from 1st to 2nd gear. Even after driving for just 2 minutes from cold start it takes longer to shift and I hear the engine at higher RPM before it kicks in to 2nd.
    5. I drove it for 45 min straight and no more headache and I don't smell like a car exhaust like before. I think the headaches I was getting before was an exhaust leak. It get's hot inside my cab. I will be working to seal off the trunk floor and cab.

9. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Some questions still on my mind.

1. I can't get the glasspacks to rap much. What would they sound like further up closer to the trans? Anyone have a guess?

2. I can't figure out why the transmission is shifting differently now?

3. It seems the rear chrome tips could have been tucked in closer up to the bumper by almost an inch. I'm tempted to take it back and ask them to cut the chrome tips off and make them a little shorter and make a bend so they are 1 inch higher and i clear driveways easier. I also don't like the look of the chrome tips too much lower than the bumper. I will have the splashpan put back on when I take it to the body shop once I fix some other issues. Am I stupid to go back and have the tips routed higher?

4. The driver side pipes come close to one of the brake lines going to the rear. Should I bend the line by hand to shape it differently, or should I go to Napa and buy the green brake line tubing and bend and route a new line differently?

5. Does it look like the pipe is far enough away from the master cylinder?

10. Pipe looks very close to brake line and m/c.
    Mufflers are set far back, as you requested, I would guess.
    But, it appears the tailpipes do not go over the rear axle housing and the tips are low and out far, beyond the bumper.
    You now speak of tranny shifting ....... what tranny do you have in there?

11. I bet the vacuum line got knocked off the modulator for the trans. I'd bet a lot on it too.

It's up to you what's too far or too low, but the pipes look like they are on the frame member just ahead of the bumper. Maybe the gas tank is in the way too?

The brake lines and master should have clearance, I use the 2 fingers rule.

Keep likes this.
  12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Reroute those brake lines, or get a master with fittings on the opposite side!
    You might be able to get rid of those huge extensions coming off the master, to help with clearance..what are they?

13. All in all, that's a big improvement over what you had. I also recommend deep-sixing that Pinto master and get the lines out the other side. Also degrease the bottom of that car...

14. I'd think about turning the tailpipes right after the rearmost spring hanger and coming out the side if you need to clear the drive way. Try a megaphone tip if want a little more deep BOOM or pencil tip if you want more Rap-n-POP.

Bellflowers style would probably look good on that too.

Or wait and air it up before negotiating hills like that.

15. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Glass pack mufflers must burn in first before they rap. After some miles build up on them and the sound deadening packing inside the muffler deteriorates then they will rap. It will also get louder. The older they get, the louder they get. That's the Faustian bargain you get with a glass pack.

My 1964 Buick with a nailhead and twin Cherry Bombs on 2" pipes was mellow at the start but now she sounds like she's shooting rabbits when I downshift a hill.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Special Ed likes this.
  16. Slopok

Slopok

Special Ed likes this.
  17. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I didn't request where to put the mufflers. I wasn't sure what to suggest. I have a TH350 transmission

18. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe to convert the fitting size? In any case I'm thinking of getting NAPA brake line and redoing some of that by hand. I don't know on getting a master cylinder with the lines going out the opposite direction. I imagine they sell stuff that would bolt right in?

19. pitman

pitman

Heat, and brake systems are worth separating. Even with a S.S. shroud.

20. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Yea that is the frame member. I saw photos of some other 54 chevys and they bend right after that frame member. In my case I'd have to get the chrome tips cut shorter and then reweld after the bend. It would raise it 1 inch it looks like.

21. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks, my thoughts are a heat shield and then to get the green line from Napa and reroute off the master cylinder.
    Would sheetmetal with thru bolts from the top possibly do the trick, or what gauge metal?

22. Slopok

Slopok

In your first 3 photos you can clearly see the vacuum line for the modulator dangling there. Reattach it and trans should shift properly.

23. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks, yep it was dangling I just looked underneath.

24. Slopok

Slopok

Now that you are a Custom car owner you should study your car very carefully and learn to look for the obvious things that would cause you any future issues.

25. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks I'm learning on the go and I realize the importance of following your advice.

26. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Would I likely see much difference in sound if the glasspacks were moved further up so they are closer to the trans? It seems I should just leave them alone and allow them to break in for a while?

27. Slopok

Slopok

I may be wrong but my understanding has always been that if you want it to rap, place the mufflers as far forward as possible giving you a longer tailpipe. You stated that you purchased Brockman Mellowtones. Are they glass packs or steel packs? Why not call them and see what they suggest as far as placement for the sound you are trying to achieve and also ask how long it will take to burn out for a noticeable difference in sound.

28. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

They are glasspacks, 22" length. I think it would be hard to get them right next to the trans anyways because of the master cylinder.

29. Slopok

Slopok

Not necessarily next to the trans, just closer to the rear of the crossmember if possible. I'm sure someone will chime in if in fact by placing the muffler further forward will make it rap or not.

30. 53CHKustom

53CHKustom

Thanks! If it's just a matter of waiting, no problem.. if I should have specified putting them further up then I'm not sure if now is the time to take it back or not. I'm going to ask them to tuck the chrome tips closer to the bumper by shortening them and making a bend. Hopefully it won't cost too much.