Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting Started: 53 Chevy rear end swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeluxeGal, May 27, 2008.

1. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

I'm soon to be getting some progress going on my 210.

I'm changing the motor and trans from the stock 235 3spd to a 235 powerglide out of a '55.

I'm thinking that for this swap I need to change the rear end, because in '55 they had an open drive...

I did a little research on here to figure out what rear ends would work.. and I came across a good deal on a rear end with leaf springs out of a '57. I believe the '57 was running a 283 so I'm thinking that will work fine for my 235..

My question is a call for any good advice on this swap.
    This is my first time swapping a rear end.. so I'm wondering if there is anything else I will need.
    One of the things I'm wondering about is do I need the leaf springs from the '57.. I'm assuming yes.

The painless I can make this swap, the better.

Thanks in advance,
    Marissa

2. R Pope

R Pope

The '53 springs will work. You have to drill a new center bolt hole in the perch on the '57 rear end to center the rear in the wheel wells, due to the closed drive having a pivot setup that puts the rear end ahead of the center bolt. The '57 driveshaft should work, too.

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

4. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

I chose to go with new springs from Posie's when I did the swap on the 54. It puts the center bolt in the correct location plus it dropped the rear a couple of inches. I went with all new hardware-Ubolts, shock mounts, shackles etc... Do it once, and be done with it.
    But if you are looking to save as much dough as possible and if the rear springs from the 57 are the same length, I would use them. Trying to drill the spring perches on the 57 housing can be a pain in the rear-getting them in the right location etc...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good info. to get the exact distance you need to drill the holes to relocate the axle, measure drom the center of the hole on the stock 53 mounting bracket to the center of the axle housing. As mentioned above it is somewhere between 1-1/2 and 1-3/4 inches.

6. The 57 rear end is perfect fit use the lower shock mounts from the 57 too , As some one else said just re drill the perch mounts ,I believe its 1 3/4" ahead of the stock ones . The drive shaft out of the 57 will work too at least it did for me. I think if I remember right I had to pull the leafs out a bit because the side to side isn't quit the same either. But still an easy upgrade

7. choppedandhopped

choppedandhopped

do you even need to change the driveshaft and rear to put a 55 motor and trans into a 53? why dont you just keep the rear stock, that would be easiest

8. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

You need to change the rear when you go to the 55-up open drive transmissions. The 54-earlier Chevies ran a torque tube like pre 49 Fords did.

9. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm not sure if the guy selling the rear end is including anything but the axle and springs, so I was wondering how that would work without getting the drive shaft, if finding a good one somewhere would be easy and if it had to be a '57 or what.. but he's parting out a '57 so hopefully he will have the drive shaft available. I'll look into getting the shock mounts too!

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

measure the length of the driveshaft as others may work such as a S-10, Nova ect

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Awesome update Marissa! Glad to see Greg's not the only one playing in the garage...we need to talk sometime, I got some good drama for ya...hehehe

12. Tony

Tony

As has been said, the 57 rear is an excellent choice for fitment...I used a 56 only because it was what i could get. One nice thing about the 57's are they have larger axle bearing's than the 55-56..
    I drove my car one week with the 56 rear and stock 53 spring's, using redrilled drop blocks to locate it. Just about 150 mile's or so..
    Then i got the bug to upgrade the spring's as well.
    I went with Waltons for thier rear spring set up. It's a bit costly but the car ride's so much nicer than it did..Honestly, it was a great upgrade. It give's you the modern wide spring's with new bushing 's etc...
    A couple more simple advantage's to upgrading the rear suspension if it's in your budget is the new spring's will come with the locater pin in the right place so no redrilling anything. And the new set up offers you approx 3-4" drop without block's. I added 2" block's to mine above the spring drop to get mine where i wanted.
    Aside from getting the rivets out it's VERY easy..I spend a total of 4 hours doing the whole swap and an hour of that was air hammering the rivets out..
    If there is anything i can help with please pm me, as Dirty said (thanks Dirty:))i'd be happy to help if i can.....

Edit:...came back to add a little..
    My reasoning for the spring swap was nothing more than my stock spring's were beat and they also needed bushing BAD...so rather than buying new stock spring's i chose to upgrade.
    If your spring's and bushing's are ok, then just use them they will work fine. Also, if you are lowering your car and use block's, you don't have to drill the axle perches, just the block's themselves..so, in case of a mistake relocating the perch hole you can toss the blocks and start over..
    I also used the stock 55-57 lower shock mounts with new u-bolts when i had the stock spring's. They work fine but i needed to open the hole in it to clear the 53 spring pack bolt/locater..it was hitting the steel with the rear end relocated.. Simple mod..
    Best of luck :D

Tony

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you are taking the rear from the 57 and bolting it directly in the early springs be sure to check the pinion angle. . my 49 had a Camaro rear end in it that was at one time in a 55 chevy. the guy just bolted it in and it was off. you can buy shims to adjust the angle if it is not right.

do you have the transmission yoke fron the 55 powerglide?? if the 57 was a stick it will probably be different if you get that drive shaft. lots of little things to think about.

14. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Good point!

I'm not sure about the yoke, the motor and transmission are being shipped from Arizona, should be here next week. I'll send a message to the hamber who I bought it from and ask...

I believe the '57 was a 283 w/ 'glide... but I will have to double check. My fiance just bought the 283 and 'glide and is picking it up Sunday, and the guy offered the rear end and springs for $20.. I'm assuming it's from the same vehicle, but better double check because I believe the guy was parting out a couple '57s.

15. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Yeah, playing in the garage with lots of help, considering the 'mini-greaser' or 'greasette' rather, will be here in 3 months ;)
    No heavy lifting. No fumes.

But I can't help myself :)

Anyways, I did get your voicemail, I'll try to give you a call tomorrow sometime so you can fill me in.

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

i used a '78 camaro rear in my '52 deluxe. the spring perch width was identical to the '52. just had to redrill the center hole farther forward.

17. Snarl

Snarl

If you wanted to keep the 3spd, all you would need to do is swap the engine and reuse everything from the flywheel back.

I believe (but not sure) that the '55 powerglide could be retrofitted with the tailhousing from a 50-54 so you could still use the tourque tube rearend.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you are exactly correct sir

19. Everyone is giving you advise on the rear end for your swap. There is more of a problem with the engine you have chesen for the swap. Your existing 235 engine has side mounts for the engine mount. The 1955- 1957 engine mounts are in the front of the engine. Changing your motor mounts will be difficult. Not impossible but difficult. The transmission mounts are also different. If you are going to use the 235 and want the open drive line, try to find a 1958- 1962. The mounts are similar to your existing mounts.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

The 1955- 1957 engine mounts are in the front of the engine.

49 - 54's all use the same frame. the 49 - 50's had front mounts that were bolted to the front crossmember, so that should fairly easy to figure a way to use the 57 front mounts. do the 55 - 57 motors have holes in the side of the block for the side mounts??

21. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Yeah, I was wondering about the motor mounts, but I'm thinking I can make it work. I don't know if it will help or not, but the guy I bought the motor from sent me his motor mounts from the '55....

22. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

You'll need the mid mounts for the bellhousing, since 53 and 54s use a single tail mount for the trans. Some assembly required.

23. the guys at www.chevytalk.com will be able to answer all your questions about any mods you want to do on your 53'.

24. Dan

Dan

not better than the people here...that board can be a black hole-

25. choppedandhopped

choppedandhopped

doesnt posie and walton sell kits that come with the leaf springs, u bolts, and lowering blocks.... anyone know what the price is for those kits? mite be a better option

26. aldixie

aldixie

I used a 78 Camaro rear in my 50 with lowering blocks. Sping pearches where the exact width. I've also installed a 305 and 700R4 and using a driveshaft from a chevy astro van which is the perfect length for this combo. All I had to use was a conversion UJ from napa to mate it with the camaro rear.

Alex

27. DeluxeGal

DeluxeGal
    from Vagabond

Just an update, I checked with the guy we're getting the rear end from and he said that it was off a car with a p'glide, that the rear shock mounts were still attached, and that he was pretty sure he still had the drive shaft around somewhere too.

28. choppedandhopped

choppedandhopped

why dont you keep us updated with info an pics of the motor and rear end swap when you do it so that we can all learn

29. Tony

Tony

Not cheap...just a few bux under 600 for the Walton kit including shipping. That include's, springs, front and rear mount's, shackles and bushing's, shocks, new spring perches, U-bolt kit and all hardware to install it. No drop block's, the're extra.
    I just put one under my 53 two week's ago. Hated to spend the loot, but happy with the quality of what i got.

Tony

30. I went with the Chassis Engineering kit. Springs, mounts, shocks ect.. I got it from Hot Rod Supply. $500.00 delivered to my door. But this was 2 years ago.I may be more now. Anyway I was very happy with the product. I also added 2" blocks. Here's a pic how it sits now.

Todd

Attached Files:

• 044.JPG
      044.JPG
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views: