Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting screwed over

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sponge, May 25, 2009.

1. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

So you go to look at a car make an offer he accepts offer. you call back next day to arrange to pick it up and he tells you he got a better offer and he's sold it.Im not one to moan about making a little more but in my world the only thing you have is YOUR WORD.this was going to be my project for the next few years,you cant sleep at night cos you have all these ideas and plans and then you wake to get it all taken away...oh but he did offer to sell me his 46 chevy coupe that "was in better shape" if i was intrested. guess you all now how intrested i was in that.so just be aware if you go to look at or buy a black 46 chevy coupe in san antonio from jessi be carefull.
    sorry to moan an all but i had to get it out of the system...

2. James427

James427
    BANNED

Been there, done that. But I snag more than I lose so I can't really complain.

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

When I go to buy I take a handful of cash and a trailer. Keeps the bull shit down. My 2 cents

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know how you feel! I also know how he felt, I sold an O/T motorcycle a few yeas ago, did a deal on it and then another guy rang and offered two and a half grand more for it.
    I sold it to the first guy, we had a deal.
    I really cant see how that was so difficult or am I just not greedy enough?
    Doc.

5. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Same happened to me before. Nobody is a man or woman of their word too often now. Always have the cash if you are out looking.

6. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This is what I do as well; but I've had a couple of deals that I had to sweat out, like out of state and the guys were golden.

7. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

you know what , what goes around comes around ! Sorry you missed out on the car , too bad his word is not worth anything! Something better will come your way...Keep your chin up....There's still HONEST PEOPLE out there!:D

8. Racewriter

Racewriter

Yep. My favorite question for them to ask - "How long is your offer good?" My answer - "Until I get back in my truck."

9. My coupe was a similar situation. Had a guy badger the seller to the point where he sold it to me because he felt guilty because of the SOB who badgered him about the price. I was the first to call and had first dibs on the car, granted the seller had no idea of what he had. It was fair market for a coupe here in Cali but he had people come outta the woodwork in droves because it said OBO. 25+ calls a day. But remember I was the first to call him, so it turned out right in the end but it coulda been handled better. I had to wait a week to even see the coupe because the seller went outta town for a week.

This just helps you to find another car out there. I'll bet a nicer one. You sound like a good fella and you'll find the one you want just give it time, I waited since I was 14 and knew I wanted a Model A. Did not find mine until I was 22. In Texas it seems there are as many deals to be had as anywhere else if not more so be patient.-Weeks

10. fanspete

fanspete

If you're not toting a trailer and carrying cash, get to Staples or go on line and get some bills of sale. Make the deal and give them some earnest money, have them sign and date the b.o.s.(one for you, one for them). Then go get your affairs in order. It never hurts to take a friend along as a witness either.
    Oh yeah...bad ju-ju should come that guys way, your word should be good!

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

What goes around ... comes around ;)

I sold my 40 Ford standard coupe to buy a 1932 Ford 3W ...
    The deal was made ( out of state ) ... and I knew the guy for years.

After I sold the 40 ... he backed out and would not sell me the 32 3W ... :(
    The only reason I sold the 40 coupe was to raise money for the 32 3W.

I found another 32 Ford 3W ( a better car IMHO ) and the man who backed out has since had a stroke and a heart attack. He is is BAD shape. I do not enjoy his misfortunes and bad health issues but I do have to think that
    " What goes around ... comes around "

12. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I always get a bill of sale with a deposit and the terms stated on it. Worked so far and I've done a lot of deals with a lot of usavory characters.

13. I am not sure I understand you. Just how much did you say he cheated you out of?

You said you were "screwed over", just how much did he take?

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

cash is king. whenever someone comes to look at something i have, i assume they have cash. otherwise, i assume they are not serious. when they say, "ok, i'll take it, can i get it tomorrow" i know that half the time they are bullshitting, unless they throw down a few bills to hold it for them. if no cash at all, i let them know it's still for sale.
    i've been screwed over more than one time by the "don't sell it-i want it!" people.
    cash is the only thing you can count on, not people.
    now, if he told you he was going to hold it for you, 100% for sure, and with no deposit-then sold it to someone else, that's a mistake on both your parts.

15. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

1 car

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

but don't get me wrong, sorry you lost out on the car you wanted. i hate the feeling you get when someone tells you "already sold" when it was something you really wanted.
    been there. there's always another one though, that's one thing i have learned.

17. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

So you JUST made an offer? Or handed him cash? NOTHING is considered sold until I have greenbacks. Promises dont pay bills.

If you were really serious, you would have brought a trailer and cash.

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Bottom line is cash seals deals, not words. I have been on the other end of the stick way too many times with flakey buyers. Trust me, there are way more flakey buyers than sellers. You can never count anything sold until you have the cash in hand. And until then, a seller is kind of a fool not to take cash from someone else if they come up with the cash first. As a seller, I have a been burned a few times as well holding my word for a seller who never comes through in the end.

19. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I've had a bunch people say I'll buy it and never come back. Even turned down better offers thinking they'll be back. So I can almost see where the seller is coming from. The good news is there is probably a nicer one waiting to be discovered.

20. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I used to have an appliance store. I never put much stock in "be backs" (as in "I'll be back later") because 9 times out of ten they ain't gonna be back. You either hand him the cash and get a bill of sale or it's not sold. Period.

21. 29NashRod

29NashRod
    from Portland

I agree. It sucks, but you have to watch out for yourself. I used to work with a guy who was selling a complete '67 Mustang fastback for $2000. It needed a complete resto, but I looked at it, seemed like a good deal, so I gave the guy a $200 deposit. Next day, he wasn't at work, my boss said he quit. He wouldn't return any of my phone calls, and he wasn't home when I went to his house. Seems like a big hassle for him to swindle me out of $200, the dumbass.

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thats a classic, if you showed up with cash, and he wouldn't sell it he's an asswipe, wanted you to bid with someone else? well he got screwed like he should have. :D sorry this ain't e-bay

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

It's probably happened to most of us.................Did you ever have something for sale,a buyer shows up,you dicker over the price then sell it.A few minutes later another buyer shows up,he dickers with the first buyer who then sells it to him???

24. if you made an offer and it was excepted you should have paid the man loaded the car up and split , then you wouldnt be hear cryin cause some bad bad man screwed you over..

25. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Got to carry cash.....

26. chopped

chopped

You were just window shopping. If you want to buy bring cash.

27. chevyshack

chevyshack

I never just go "look" at a car unless i have cash in hand. Why waste my time and his? Buy it on the spot and take it home. Thats how these problems never happen. Ive had many cars sitting at the road for sale and told "I want it! I'll be back in an hour with the money." They never show back up. Everything i've sold was on the spot.

28. A buyer without cash is like a seller without inventory. The result is "No Deal."

[​IMG]

29. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

As true as this sounds, i'd have to agree!

"serious buyers" ...always bring a cash and a trailer.

Sorry to hear you missed out on that ride, maybe this little incident should help you out next time you come across something you "really" want for a future project.
    keep yer chin up, stay patient, another one will come along:)

best wishes,
    cab

30. 31whitey

31whitey

I just had a great deal go through....its was random though.

Been trying for two survivor hotrods, 32 and 34...not happening...they become know now and I doubt I will see them....BUT...after calming down I realized ...ehh,,,not meant to be.

So I found another..i suggest you do the same....but bring cash man....gee wiz.