Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Getting bonded title in WI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tetanus, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Tetanus

Tetanus

Was at iola car show/swap meet and talked to dmv there about having a car with just a bill of sale and how to title it.guy gave me a piece of paper with a web link to apply for a bonded title if you have a car with no title in WI. Heres the link I have no clue yet on this. Just passing it on. Anyone do this? http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/surety-bond.aspx

2. Squablow

Squablow

This was the big news in Wisconsin in the last month, supposed to make it much easier to title a car with a valid VIN or ID number on it in Wisconin, I also heard the big title dealers got their merchandise confiscated at Spring Jefferson this year, too. Don't know anyone who's done it yet but it's supposed to be a big improvement/much less hassle than before.

3. BJR

BJR

There was an article in Old Cars Weekly a few weeks ago about how the law in WI has changed. They made it sound like you can title anything with a serial number on it, like a frame or cowl with tag on. Just need a bill of sale and about $300 or so.

4. Tetanus

Tetanus

5. skoh73

skoh73

Just read through this and, at first glance, it seems like a good thing. Is this just for cars found/bought in WI, or can you buy a car out of state and still benefit from this process? If so, sounds good.

6. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Great, lost my ass on 2 cars because I could not get a title, etc..

7. Here's what I learned about "bonded titles" when I went thru the process here in NC
    1) A bond amount is established after appraisals are done by two licensed auto dealer
    2) The bond amount is 1 1/2 times the appraisal amount and must be in effect for three years...( BTW.. a bond is established to be used by the State to cover their expenses in the event there is ever any type of dispute filed...!)
    3)The bond is purchased from a bonding company and forwarded to the DMV
    4) Heres where it usually bogs down..The DMV will not proceed till they can find a factory-stamped , traceable VIN or Serial number on any major component..(Believe me..They know where to look and what one is supposed to look like...)
    Luckily, the only component with a serial number was my engine.. and I happened to have a document from the donor car with that number..Once that was verified ,things went quickly...
    5) After all that ,the DMV then issued me a VIN tag/number
    6) When I registered the car, the bond amount was used to calculate the NC Highway Use Tax...
    7) Once I paid that and all other registration/tag fees ,they were thru with me.....In the end , it seemed all they actually wanted was my Highway Use Tax $$$ after all !!
    8) Several weeks later, I got an NC Title marked "Bonded"
    9) Three years later I got a clear title

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  8. Tetanus

Tetanus

wonder what would happen if the vin of car turned up as being junked out

9. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I should be able to help build up the State Transportation Fund quite a bit in the near future.....i think i like this...so far;)