Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting a title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msinclair32, Mar 23, 2013.

1. zjerry

zjerry

2. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

In Oklahoma most tiltl compines will get you a storage lein... There is a chance someone will claim the car... the longer it's been in tyuor posessin the better .... they can have it for $3.00 dollars a day storage fees... ( get your title before you drop a lot of cash in tthe car. ) You end up with an open title ....

3. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! In Oklahoma there are several ways to get a title, the easiest is to do a titls 42. The first step of the process is to get a "VIN inspection", to do this you can either trailer the vehicle down to a tag agency or for a fee, some of the tag agencies will send a rep to your home or place of business. After the VIN inspection is complete, you can get title 42 paperwork from DMV down by the capitol and fill it out yourself but if you do the trolls who work there will use any excuse to throw it back in your face. The easiest option is to ask around for someone in the title services business, prices vary, I use "Four-S out of Yukon, 345-9778, if you have any questions you email me back at [email protected].

4. boomosby

boomosby

from va

i have bought about 10 cars with no titles. one time i used broadway title sevrice and paid the 200 r whatever and walked away with a title. second time, i went to the local dmv website. was a 3 step process, a) abandonded vehicle request. you send the vin online to the dmv and the dmv tries to contact the proper owner.(21 days wait). b) intent to auction. which basically says if the car isnt removed from your yard with 15 days, you legally have the right to auction the car, scrap it, or apply for title. c) go to dmv and take your title. takes 35 days or so and 25 dollars. easiest legal way i have ever found!

5. Bluedot

Bluedot

Msinclair 32, several have noted that every state is different. Pay attention to the Oklahoma advice regarding Title 42. I am doing the Title 42 process (almost done) thru a local title service in Tulsa. PM me if you'd like the contact. Totally legal, cost me $125 to let a pro who knows the ropes handle it. I have no patience when trying to deal with the drones in the Oklahoma Tax Commission, so worth the $125 to me. Takes several weeks, but it's a cakewalk.

6. Did you just buy it from someone on a bill of sale with no title or are you building the truck? If you just bought it from someone, and don't plan to modify it, then what ribbedroof said is accurate. It's called Title 42, and the process is similar to that which Willy_P outlined. If you're building it (i.e. using an engine, frame, cab, etc from another vehicle), you'll need one of these: http://www.tax.ok.gov/mvforms/761A.pdf which details where you got all the parts. You'll need invoices or bills of sale (and Manufacturers' Statements of Origin for new parts) for all of your major parts if you're doing the second route. The second process is what's used for kit cars, and IMO should work for what you need.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, this is just how I've understood the process.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

If that 39 Ford has the original trans in it,,,,the VIN is stamped on top of the bellhousing, just above the inspection cover plate. It'll have a star before, and after the stamped numbers. I discovered that trucks did not have VIN stamped in the frame rails, as pass cars did.

4TTRUK

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Might be true in Al., but that's not true in many states! Many states wont issue a title if the car doesn't have a title from another state. Some states will issue a construction title for a homebuilt car, but only if there are no VIN numbers on the body or frame, and you have receipts for most the major parts like body, frame, drivetrain.

9. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, call Smokey Lombard 405 354 9778.
    I have been using him for years for my title work.

10. rotorhead47

rotorhead47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The question as I understood it was how to get a title in OK without prior paperwork. Not what someone someone else thinks you should have before you buy,build or work on a project.

11. lizzie

lizzie

It's really not too bad, do the title 42, pretty straight forward. It's mostly just a waiting game, but it can be done. :)