Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting a 1953 chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodfink47, Jun 28, 2012.

1. hotrodfink47

hotrodfink47
    from El Cajon

It looks like I am going to be buying a 1953 chevy truck pretty soon. I'm going to try my best to get the straight six that is in it running and drive it like it is while fixing her up. The plans for her is to chop it 3 inches, bag it, and pie the hood but I'm not sure how much yet. Since I'm not to familure with the engine, is there anything to look out for with the engine that most people wouldn't know?

2. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

Just take it slow and enjoy the hell out of.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Register now to get rid of these ads!

4. hotrodfink47

hotrodfink47
    from El Cajon

Thanks guys. I can't take it easy to get it running. Its gotta get fired up right away.

5. Wicked50

Wicked50

I'm building a 50 right now so if u have any ?s just ask

6. When I got my 47 I replaced the wire harness, got a new ignition switch, had the generator and starter gone through and rebuilt, had the clutch disc relined and the pressure plate and flywheel resurfaced and cleaned up, rebonded the brake shoes, replaced the wheel cylinders, and rebuilt the master cylinder. I added a new tail light and replaced all the light bulbs just in case. Changed the engine oil and filled up the transmission and rear end with gear oil. Changed the spark plugs. Got some new tires and some fresh gas.

Grand total was less than $3000 with myself doing as much labor when possible. Engine started up without ever having to do any drastic engine work. It smoked out my neighborhood for a good half hour as the ring reseated in the cylinders so I was told, but I will never forget the first ride around the block missing the hood, grill, and passenger fender.

Good luck and have fun.

53 should have a 235 engine