Register now to get rid of these ads!

Get ready, King Of Trucks is coming...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Oct 1, 2009.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

You be quiet you young whippersnapper! Respect your elders! :D

I can't get a concrete figure on the glass bowls, but I have been told 115 cfm. I think Rochester B/BC is 250 cfm. I can't get good numbers on the Carter W1s, but they should be very similar to the Holley 1904s.

So 2 x Rochester B/BC = 500 cfm. 3 x Holley 1904 (or Carter W1) = 350 cfm. Numbers are approximate based on info I could find digging around here and there.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's why I love them huh?

3. Shawn M

Shawn M

My fuel mileage dropped considerably when I went to multiple carbs on my old 235. Maybe I did something wrong, although it ran well, lots more power, so I'd do it again no question. At the end of the day you need to do what you want to do or else you won't be happy with it. Either way it'll be kickass I'm sure!

4. Shawn M

Shawn M

Ha hah! Don't I know it!

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Hahaha!:D

What carbs were you running? And thanks for the encouragement!

6. Im far from a carb expert, but my 261 sure seems happier with the pair of 216 carbs then it ever did with the 235s.....

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Details please!

8. Shawn M

Shawn M

They were rochesters for a 235, with the idle circuits modified as per inliners.org specs. I'm sure there is a better combination. If I do another I will seek your wisdom that you are currently gaining on the subject:D:D:D

9. I am a total nooob when it comes to this stuff, and this is my 1st adventure into carbs, much less dueling carbs, this is just my experience so far.

Ive ran these set ups on a 55 261 with split exhaust, 3 speed with 3.55.....

Stock intake/carb on a 261. Ran good. MPG around 16hwy/13city. 4000+ miles.

2 random, yet seeemingly matching 235 rochesters, rebuilt by me. Noticeable increase in power. It ran rich with both 51 and 58 jets. Gas mileage was about 11 everywhere. After much work, got most the leaks stopped. Still dripped a bit at the bushings on the bases. Maybe 500 miles logged, then switched back to the single.

2 matching 1950 216 rohcester bs, # 700250. 51 jets. Professionally rebuilt, flow tested, new bushings in the bases. Drilled out bases to make fit on intake. Ran better then the the 235 carbs. Not as rich, but plugs were still a bit dark. MPG was about 13/14. Never could get them to quit leaking around the top/fuel bowl.
    I think this set up, with a bit more tuning could ended up running quite well. I would of played with the floats more, but i moved on to my current set up. 1500+ miles.

2 Stromberg Bxov-2. Loooked good out of the box, #s match, right on the car. Drilled out bases to fit on intake. Best its ran, no hesitation off the line. It actually ran lean for the 1st time ever! Strange thing to be happy about, but i was! Adjusted the mixture screws and turned the plugs black, screwed em back in a bit and they look good now. MPG is around 16, i think it should be better, im working on that, they also seem to be seeping gas from somewhere, the bottom of the fuel bowl ist getting kinda dirty, need to start my own topic on those. 700 miles and counting.

Not sure if or how any of that helps. From what ive read, with a stockish 261 you are still better off with a pair of 216 carbs. I think its a vacuum thing.

As for all your options and possibilities.....
    Use what you have, get what you got running. Then work from there.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

You're waaaaay smarter than me. :D But I think it really comes down to carb selection first, then proper tuning. Besides just turning the screws, I think the float level plays an even bigger part in mulit carbs than single.

Thanks for the info! Let's take it case by case.

First up, let's talk about your stock set up. This is the same engine/trans combo I have. I have experienced the same mileage results. Runs great, but not very exciting.

Second, the "maybe matching" Rochesters. That's a bit harder to dissect. if the carbs aren't matched, it'll never be "right". The only way to know for sure is with a tag or ask a carb expert to tell you where the numbers are that will get you a concrete ID. Leaks always come down to improper float level, gaskets, worn out parts not replaced in the rebuild (because the kit didn't include them), or warped case. All can be fixed with the proper mindset. In the instance of a warped case causing a leak, I'd find another carb due to the prevalence of the Rochester B/BCs. The stubborn ones among us can fix the warping with the proper application of slow gentle heat. Mismatched carbs in a multi carb set up can't really be "fixed". I've said it before, Rochester B/BCs get a bad rap for leaking. Most of the time, it's not the carb's fault it's leaking. They didn't leak when brand new. But I doubt I'll change the opinion of the "leakchester crowd".

Third up, is your matched set of 216 sized Rochester B's. I think adjusting the floats would've solved your problems for sure. A hotter set of plugs would probably help as well.

And lastly, the Strombergs. No surprise there at all. All info from "back in the day" says these are the absolute best ones to use. Downside is they're kind of hard to find nowadays and expensive when you do find them.

I am the furthest thing from an expert on this subject, but I've learned a lot from talking to carbking. I spoke with him on the phone several times in the last few days specifically about carb selection for my 261. That is THE most important part of adding multi carbs. Certain carbs are infinately more tuneable than others. Second, a rebuild to factory specs gives you a repeatable baseline and eliminates many questions. Once you have a positive ID matched set of proper carbs rebuilt to factory specs set up with a syncing device (like a uni-syn), it's simply a matter of proper spark, screw turning and proper jet sizing. Or so I'm told. And based on Jon's advice, I'm going with three Carter W1s that I'll rebuild with his kits.

I think the ignition aspect is often overlooked when adding multi carbs. I assume most guys still run the stock ignition based on what I read here. Maybe some of the guys have upgraded the dizzy to HEI, but plugs are probably almost always still stock. Gains in driveability, performance and mileage can be had from matching your ignition to your new fuel delivery. In almost all cases where more fuel and air is added, more spark is required to burn it. Stock is not always up to the task. I learned a lot about spark back when I was messing with turbos. Spark with relation to fuel is 1,000 times more important there. Run lean and blow it up. Even a ping or two at a bar or more of boost is enough to cost you thousands.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences! I appreciate it! ;)

11. Second, the "maybe matching" Rochesters. That's a bit harder to dissect. if the carbs aren't matched, it'll never be "right".
    I dont agree. It might be easier if you know they match, but its not impossible if you dont. The idea that you must use labeled matching carbs has been discussed in other places, and is usually pushed by those trying to sell you something. That said, if given the choice, i would, and do, run tagged matching carbs.

Most of the time, it's not the carb's fault it's leaking. They didn't leak when brand new.

Ya, they leak when they are old. Ive ran about 10 rochesters, of various levels of rebuilds, they all leaked, some more then others. I guess i need to find a new one.

A hotter set of plugs would probably help as well.
    I switched to pertronix and a flamethrower coil in the middle of running my 216 carb set up, made little difference in fuel economy. I was quite surprised/disappointed.

Once you have a positive ID matched set of proper carbs rebuilt to factory specs set up with a syncing device (like a uni-syn), it's simply a matter of proper spark, screw turning and proper jet sizing.
    You make it sound so easy, wanna come over and tune mine?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think it's going to be far more difficult then believe too Terd. I mean everything with these old cars always is. Look as your split manifold and what a cluster fuck that turned out to be. Do you really think when you bolt three carbs on it's going to be simple straight forward....even if you do all your home work you have to account for all the things that could (or will) give you headaches.

So you've got matched carbs all rebuilt? Well the carbs bases can be untrue causing for leaks at the gaskets. That's something to look out for. Remember that single edelbrock you had on your last truck? That was the correct carb and intake but it definitely gave you some kicks to the nuts right?

If I were you I would run the setup you have now while you are piecing that intake and carbs together with careful rebuilds and well planned linkage. In the mean time we are all still waiting on The King Of Trucks to Arrive......lower that fucker! Don't worry about the engine bay, get started on the stance. It's the first thing that should be done after getting the truck running!

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Nothing's impossible. That said, the three types of carbs I've been discussing in this thread have multiple variations produced of each for different engines. Some that are the same make different variation are just plain incompatible with each other. No two ways about it. Starting with matched carbs makes a hard job easier. Surely we can agree on that. carbking isn't selling me anything but kits. I already have carbs. It's not like he's telling me I can't use the carbs I have, I should use his "special" matched carbs instead. He even told me where to find cheaper kits if I didn't mind less comprehensive kits.

All the Rochesters I've run on cars and trucks have all been over 50 years old. None leaked after a rebuild. There are some common problems with Rochester B/BCs (all carbs have their shortcomings or issues). One of those is the warping. If it's warped, it'll still leak after 29 rebuilds. I haven't found a warped one yet, I'll count myself lucky I guess.

That is surprising. But it likely goes back to the float adjustment.

Yeah sure! :D Just bring it over here.

All due respect and all that!

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Seriously, if boobie can run three carbs so can I! :D I talked to him just this morning about this very subject. He said his mileage went up with the three carbs vs. stock. But you're for sure right about the sorrows and heartaches that come with mods. Nothing I do ends up being easy. I am under no illusions. But I'm not going to let something like that stop me!

And patience young grasshopper on the lowering. I'm working on it. I ordered a simple flip kit for the rear (just spring perches/bracket and shock mounts). I'm waiting to hear back about a drop axle for the front. Unlike me tuning three carbs, lowering is not going to happen by magic! :D

15. Ya, ya, ya..... I think i still need to lower the floats on the bxovs, maybe ill do that today and see what happens. You can run em with the tops off, its pretty koool.

Anyway, after all that, i still say run the mcgurk.....
    You got it, put it on a play with it!!!

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh by no means did I want to be confused with you thinking that you could not do it. I just wanted to point out that you are going to mother fuck yourself for choosing 3 carbs along the journey of tuning them and getting everything to work right. Boobie's car is dialed in because Boobie is dialed in and he's been working on that car for quite some time. He's the guy I go to for shit like that so I would hope his stuff runs like a top.... Starts like a resurrection of the dead and sounds like a wet fart but it does runs great!

As far as lowering I can't wait to see it down a bit. It's going to go from peasant truck to a Royal Carriage when it done....and that my friend is where the story of The King Of Trucks starts.

17. Shawn M

Shawn M

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, it will certainly be an adventure! These things always are, and all the opinions do make for good drama, kind of like reality TV! Best of luck to ya Terd!

18. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Classic!

I can't wait for mine to get back on all 4's with the new suspension... Maybe mine can be the "Prince" of trucks? ;)

Good Work Terd!!!! I love them 6 Cyl's!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You can be the King if you want because Terd's is unofficially named princess. Post some pics so my friend here can see how things are done.

20. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Oh My.....

21. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Please let me know how it works out.

I appreciate the vote of confidence! Considering the way things usually go for me, I'll be just as screwed trying to set up two carbs as three. Might as well go all out. And I totally get what you're saying about lowering. It's the one thing that will give me more satisfaction than all the things I've done so far. It's falling into place, but it's never fast enough.

Thanks Shawn! An adventure is a nice happy way to put it. When I'm actually doing work, it seems more like a misadventure. :D Nothing usually goes right the first time. It always takes four times longer than it should. No matter how well prepared I am, I always have to go to the parts store in the middle of a job. The parts store will never have what I need til tomorrow. I will always finish just as it gets dark/time for supper/time to take the kids somewhere with no time for a test drive til the next day. The test drive will always reveal another issue that will take four times longer to fix than it should. Repeat. Et cetera.

I've been watching you. Your progress is making me look bad. So slow down a little will ya? :D

I can't decide between princess or Johnny Rainbow. Decisions, decisions.

22. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Yeah I'm on a roll right now for sure.... Hopefully I don't hit too many road blocks here in the next few weeks.

My '59 that I drove in High School had a 235 and it was such a neat engine. Ran like a top. It would be groovy to have a 6 in mine but for now I will stick with the V8. My racing friend has a killer Jimmy 6 in his '48 truck and it runs real hard. I think it's a 2 carb deal on a Fenton intake if I'm not mistaken. Super Truck.

Till next time,

Robert M.

23. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

24. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

25. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Dude... It's a bitchin Truck... And I'm sure folks are familiar with the '29 roadster in tow behind it... Rodder's Journal feature on this was Fantastic. Neil only does SOLID work.

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

i'm searchin terd!

I do agree with jeffey that we need to lower that sumbitch asap.

the month of assbusting work I put into my 54 to get the rear down 3 more inches was a lot of work for such a short distance but damn it was so worth it...

I say we franke the front end, flip the rear and put a fork in it.

once that is done, coupled with the exhaust, mmmhhhmmm sexy.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well, I guess TERD not everything has to be a pain in the ass. I just got back from the shop an hour ago after rebuilding my carb (first one ever) last night and it fired right up!!! Little adjustment of the idle set screw and she purrs like a kitten.

I have a little tiny leak coming from those two front screws (where the jets are) but I think that they might fix themselves once the gaskets seat. A few more adjustments and it should be back on the road sooooooooo by all means, run three carbs!!!!

28. hotdamn

hotdamn

terd thanks for all the kind words on my ride,

you too sd joe.

means bunches :D <3

29. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Robert,

Keep up the good work! Your friend's truck is killer, by the way. Thanks.

Let's do it. The franke job, that is. I have got a flip kit coming for the back.

Wait til you see what I'm gonna do with the exhaust. I think you'll dig it the most.

Nice work! Sometimes I like to dip gaskets in a little gas before I put a carb together.

You know I *heart* your car. Can't wait to see some grill in it!

30. hotdamn

hotdamn

gonna make that shit blang son!