Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Get married, have kids...it'll be fun they said!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Youngin', Sep 8, 2019.

1. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Dang, I disappear for, oh, 11 years and come back here to find what looks to be a nursing home!

Yes, I'm back from the dead and probably posting in the wrong forum- who remodeled this place, anywho?

I sure have missed everyone. I've checked in every so often but, man, there sure has been a lot that has happened since I used to hang out here a lot; sold the roadster, bought that property, had a 3rd rug rat, started a business, sold the property, sold the business (can't sell the wife and kids, but I haven't checked on the legalities, yet), garage burned down and lost all my tools (not hotrod stuff, it was at a friend's thank goodness), changed jobs after 20 years and the hardest part for me to post is that grandpa (Hot Rod Holmes) passed away last year- the world lost a lot of flathead knowledge with that one. I certainly wish I had taken better notes of all he shared.

Anyway, my boy has been on me for a while, "Dad, why don't you build another hot rod?" Not wanting to tell him it's his fault, I usually just tell him his mom won't let me spend the money haha. A few months back an ole' buddy called and offered a mostly finish 36 5w coupe to me- it was the one I chronicled the adventure with all of you on here years ago- not having a place to put it, I declined. However, I'm close to calling and seeing if he still has it. His restoration skills are off the charts and the hard part is done. If not, I'll revert back to another A roadster or coupe.

I hope to be in here more frequently, I'm hoping a lot of the ole' friends didn't pass in my absence. I know Blown49 has...

Take care, all!

2. belair

belair

Life happens, doesn't it?

Stogy, VANDENPLAS, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  3. Rckt98

Rckt98

Welcome back. Yes things have changed around here.

Stogy, VANDENPLAS, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Old friends may be gone new ones are to be had.....

Stogy, VANDENPLAS, catdad49 and 2 others like this.

5. Binkman

Binkman

If you get that coupe it was meant to be. Don't fight fate.
    Welcome back.

6inarow, Stogy, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

Yes we are all getting older, people are getting sick, dying. Life goes on. The one truth to getting older is we have to keep moving, if we stop we can't get started again.

leadfootloon, Stogy, Boryca and 4 others like this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Welcome back..I think I remember your avatar but didn't remember your name..Was I here 11 years ago? I'll have to check! Yup I was here then..

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome back @Flathead Youngin'...change is inevitable. The Hamb Rocks...a place to discuss and share the Gospel of Hotrod/Custom/Race...

Whats really great is seeing your families connection to the big picture and now knowing the origin of a couple of pics I posted in a couple of threads visually illustrating early Hotrod...I still find the pics priceless glimpses into the heart of Hotrod.

Your thread is at the link below...about Grandpa...Thanks for sharing that and the pics are still there...;)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pics-of-my-grandpas-cars-20s-60s.84120/

9. Come on in, the weathers fine.. the chat is good and the folks are great.
    Welcome home my friend..:D

10. Well, You've got a lot of catching up to do my friend. Welcome back! I do sort of remember your former presence here. Yes, the place has changed a bit, likely a little more mellow than you remember, but still the place to be if you enjoy what we speak about here. Post up some pics of your gone roadster if you have any to jog our memories. Remember we're some old guys for the most part now, with a few youngsters thankfully coming along. And as far as the '36........what are you waiting for?! ......Don:)

chryslerfan55, wraymen, hrm2k and 3 others like this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

About fucking time.
    Missed your humor, stories and especially sorry to hear about Grandpa.
    He was a cool old dude.
    I believe you’ve learned a lot from him over the years.
    Take care and welcome. PJ.

chryslerfan55, hrm2k, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

Come on down, Youngin'! Time changes, people and places change, it is what you make it. Welcome from VA., Carp.

Stogy, VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Yeah, everybody got older while you were away. Speaking of family and kids and doing what you want to do, one of my old friends said that the 40 years he was married was the best 5 years of his life.

14. Welcome back, time fly's even when you ain't having fun, you right a lot of notable members are no longer around but the rest of us do our best to fill their shoes. HRP

15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Yes, and I take a ten and a half.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. topher5150

topher5150

no expert here, but from what I hear you can still trade your wife for a heard of cattle in some middle eastern countries.

17. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

You may have to grow a couple more layers of skin.

Stogy likes this.
  18. I’m assuming you accidentally clicked on the “gear ratio for burnouts” thread...

clem, 427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  19. It’s a kinder gentler HAMB now.:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Welcome back dude. Build a hot rod with and for your kid – the wife can't deny you quality bonding time with the kid. And yes, things have changed a lot around here.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

22. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hearing about a youngster showing interest in a hot rod is welcome indeed.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Welcome back, it's certainly a different place, buy a hot rod and get with it man...before another 11 years goes by.

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome back, Flathead Youngin.
    Seems that I joined the hamb about the time you got real busy. But I also remember your avatar.
    I just read a little bit of your thread about your great folks and your family's rich hot rodding history. Thanks for posting, Stogy. The pictures are awesome. The way they made the best of their minimal equipment and workspace. Inspiring. I read about how Grandpa Holmes was apologizing for the grill on the coupe being too high because he knew that you're a hamb member and he didn't want us to think he didn't know what he was doing. That was somehow kind of touching to me. Your great grandpa's early track style channeled roadster is awesome... as are all their other hot rods.

I'm so sorry about you losing Grandpa Hot Rod Holmes. Bless him and you and your family old and new.

I love that your son is bugging you to build another hot rod. That's great. Looking forward to seeing what he and you decide on for your next project. Put him to work.

Please don't take too long. We ain't getting any younger. LOL

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh... Don't worry about the hamb being kinder and gentler.
    We still give each other a hard time if the opportunity presents itself LOL.
    Maybe we just don't bash each other over the head.
    Unless necessary.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and jim snow like this.
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This:
    Not this:
    But you may have already noticed this. Welcome back.

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

You have probably noticed this is no longer a traditional hotrod forum. Anything goes now.
    I've been on this forum since 98 or 99 and now we have restoration threads, threads about dogs, threads about every kind of car ever made. You can still find excellent threads about traditional hotrods but they are few now.

swade41 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. We also have some threads on people bitching about the changes in the forum too.

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Welcome back Sir.Enjoy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.