Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest George Ray's Hot Rod Wildcat Drag Strip Open or Closed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jangleguy, Jun 26, 2015.

1. jangleguy

jangleguy

Attention drag race types! Can someone please tell me what happened to George Ray's drag strip in Arkansas after he passed in 2010? I'm doing a piece on the place, but the scent goes cold in 2010. I've been researching. Even found a working phone number for the track, but no answer.

Any help would be much appreciated(!), and you'll be crowned a hot rod hero if you can shed any light on this mystery. Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on this!
    Scotty

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

4. squirrel

squirrel

I just did a quick google search. That's all I know...

5. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hmmm... I've been researching on Google all day and the track's Facebook page never came up. Anyway, thanks again, Squirrel.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I'm just lucky in the ways of the google....glad to help.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Go to www midsouthracers.com They have a link there. Sometimes there is a post. Not much on racing, mostly smack talking and jokes.
    It has had lots of problems since George passed away. Like so many other business, it was ran with success for many years, and he made a good living, then someone new makes lots of changes and it goes down hill.
    George did it because he loved Drag Racing and the people involved, that is not the case now. NOTE: We are not connected to the Speedy on George Ray site in any way.
    SPEEDYS GARAGE

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    chucky1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. After george rays passing his grandson ran the track. No one liked the grandson so things went down hill fast. My avatar pic was taken at george rays. We went down there several times with the 65. My all time favorite track.

9. Thats a real shame! I kind of figured after george was gone, the magic would be to. Sad.:(

10. Hot rod mag did a feature on my 65. Jan 2001. they did a good job telling how things are down there. Geoff stunkert did the story. He said they cut out alot. If you want to read the full story go to quarter mile stones. Then go to nitro hallucination. You will find the unedited story there. I have been to more that 50 tracks and george rays was the only track that could recreate the feel of early drag racing. Both will be missed.

11. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Talked to his wife couple years ago at a Memphis motor sports park race & it's still going far as I know. She invited us back. It had reopened then. 5 bucks watch or race was his game. Enter at your own risk. :) A very cool dude ol' George. I've made a many a pass there & witnessed a few fights too. Just left work & I'm heading out with my son & his pal to OIR Raceway in few minutes for this! Got to instill this stuff into them while their young, their 11 & ate up with it already. :cool: image.jpg I'll try n post s few pics of some ol gassers tomorrow! Flux

12. Looking forward to some pictures

13. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I'm starting a pic thread on it final Eliminations now .......some good racing going on , few hamb SDRA guys here too! Flux

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015