Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Geo Poteet ..New Truck @ GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (QUOTE) Kidding aside, Thom is exactly right. Brian deserves the credit for his craftsmanship. It was feared by allot of us that when the truck went to troys for paint that the big name shop on the build sheet for any part of the work would over shadow Brians effort in the build.[/QUOTE]

Brian is very talented. I have known Brian for over 10+ years. He is a top notch artist. He can fabricate, weld, paint and even do nice upholstery work. How many people do you know can perform all of those tasks and are good at it? Brian can do every one of them.

When I was laid off work in 2002, I had the privledge of working with Brian in the fab room of a local sprint car shop for a while. Top notch guy, with an extremely high level of attention to detail.

2. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

I think I would call that a boob job on the Mona Lisa?:p

3. Although the pickup is a little too much for my taste, you've got to hand it to George for building anything he wants and employing a wide range of talent to do it, both big and small. George is a one man "stimulus program" doing what we all wish we could. I especially envy his fleet of Bonneville racers!

4. badshifter

badshifter

Yeah, me. It falls under the just because you can doesn't mean you should..... Sometimes more is just more.

5. I saw it at the show and kinda liked it. It is a bit flashy but pimpin' ain't easy...

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

I really like 98% of George Poteet's cars/trucks/streamliners. Unfortunately this one falls into the 2% catagory. If you look closely, this build has EVERY GIMMICK going for the past 40 years!...........just my opinion...Mike

7. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Saw G.P's truck at the GNRS this afternoon ... lots of interesting details and excellent craftsmanship. However, the whole is less than the sum of the parts ... too much going on.

8. McKee

McKee

Mr. T called,...he wants his truck back!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  9. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

10. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

He had another Donovan four banger.It was going to go in a salt flat roadster. A friend of mine had it for a while.
    [​IMG]

11. ...overall I "kinda" like it, is that a Miller race car grille?

12. mikes51

mikes51

I know those wheels are probably totally hand built from scratch, and that the design intention was to pick up the colors in the graphics. But at first glance they look like stocker wheels from an old car.

I was looking at those beautiful brake drums (or disc covers) in this pic. I'm imagining another set of those brake drums machined as big as a rim. Then with painted spokes to pick up the graphics.

13. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

that motor is beautiful!

14. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

One of the very few miss steps by Troy IMO. Build quality is typically top of the heap though. But this truck reminds me of taxi's I've seen in Manila!

But as they say, If you're not pushing the envelope, you're not a true artist.

15. vendetta

vendetta

i just checked Stringers site-amazing fab work and quality,i definately don't feel qualified to be making any comments against the build quality of this truck.sometimes i prefer seeing cars/bikes in the build state as the finished article doesn't always do the engineering side justice.i will be saving a few pictures to my collection for ideas.thanks to the builder and george for bringing us such a controversal and well engineered lil beast.would be interested if anyone can get some video footage of it running to see how it goes and sounds!

16. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah,,I agree with everybody that the truck is ugly. In fact its so ugly that Mr. Poteet shouldn't shame the rest of his collection by parking it in the same garage. What he really should do is give it to me because I'd drive that sumbitch everywhere. And thats the name of that tune.

17. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

I dig it, a ton.. Thom/Kulturepimp, knows what he is talking about...there is a ton of small garages around the country that can do killer stuff if just given the chance, and that what Poteet does a lot, give the little guy a shot at the majors...major props to him for that....and I am not scared to say I like it, I seen the build up pics, major props to Brian for all the fab...incredibale, cant wait to see in person.

18. A Boner

A Boner

George is cool.........If I had as many HOT RODS as he does, I imagine a few of them would be over the top too. He has had lots of HOT RODS built, and they are all cool. I can't think of a better way to spend money!

If it was mine, I'd paint the louvers........after the GNRS.

P.S. I know I don't have the balls to try and go 500 MPH even if I had the $ to do it!

19. ewt2

ewt2

The only thing I would change is the title! I'll bet that motor sound pretty cool. I'd love to wind it out. Sure would be a blast to tool-around in...

20. Cshabang

Cshabang

the build shots are amazing...Brian did an insane fab job....

21. Blackie

Blackie

Build shots on Brian's site are amazing. My opinion is that the contrast between the dark green and the chrome is what hurts it. Look at the before paint pictures. There is more restraint visually before the paint went on. I think if it were a lighter color, or even bare metal it would look balanced. Talented builder!

22. I guess the phrase "less than the sum of its parts" come to mind. There's a lot of neat stuff, and I could probably stare at the details all day long. But as a total package it doesn't feel coherent. It seems it's best viewed from 2 feet, not 10 feet.

My 2c, anyway.

23. bigolds & FritzTownFord ... When I opened this thread on Thursday morning, my first thought was also Filipino "Jeepney":

philippine-jeepney.jpg manila-style-jeepney.jpg Blingy Jeepney.jpg

That said, after doing a little research on Poteet's Miller Hauler Special ... and viewing a bunch more photos of it, my opinion of the truck started to change ... there's a lot more to like about it, then there is to criticize.

It's still too gaudy for my taste ... and I really don't care for the polished louvers ... but then again, I'm pretty sure neither George Poteet nor (designer/builder) Brian Stinger asked for my opinion.

If you haven't already done so, checkout these other pics of the Miller Hauler Special:

* Camel Toe Racing's - Future Projects Album
    * Stinger's Hot Rod Shop - Build Album
    * Rad Rod's by Troy - Project (paint & final assembly) Album
    * SoCalCarCulture's "GNRS - Friday" Album

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  24. KIRK!

KIRK!

I saw it in person.....not a fan.

The Tudor (built by the amazing Dave Lane) he had last year was one of my all-time favorite cars. This.....not so much.

Flawless craftsmanship, but WAAAAAAAYYYY too much of it.

25. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Incredible craftsmanship....absolutely incredible.

I think its way too much though. Busy busy busy.

26. More shiny than Liberace eh ? I personally think that's fun , but when I saw the two shots that open this thread I had that crooked lil' smile happening which is reserved for the parents of an Ugly baby.

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Agreed, just because the finished car may not be your cup of tea don't miss out on seeing the top quality work done.

28. fat141

fat141

Ugly as ....IMO

29. Looks like they backed it into an open tackle box with all the trinkets hanging on it....Kinda like a "dresser" Harley with every light he could find bolted on

30. toxictom

toxictom

too much "talent" in one car, enough for a second one....just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.