Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie vs Lokar what's your preference?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jamin, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I have a Lokar in my truck, their people are nice and helpful but I just don't like the shifter.
    I don't like the push button which I always have to fiddle with and one factory installed piece of the shifter mechanism fell off.
    I also keep a screwdriver in my truck because the neutral safety switch sticks and I occasionally need to short-out the terminals to get the truck started.

2. Lokar's work okay, but after about ten years, the button becomes sticky and doesn't pop back up like it should, so you have to wiggle it around until it pops up. After a few times it frees up and works okay though.

The Gennie is more straight forward to install, and it's nice not having to push the button to shift and being able to use any knob you want.

The bad thing about the Gennie is that it doesn't qualify as a "positive reverse lockout device" if you're ever going to drag race it. For drag racing, you have to have a positive way to lock it with a lever or pushbutton so it can't accidentally pop into reverse during a race if things get violent. So if you're going to ever drag race the car at a track with inspections, you might want to go with the Lokar. If not, then probably I'd say go with the Gennie.

3. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Easy fixed....just grab your gas ax and blow that clutch pedal off!

Thanks to all for your replys. It seems as though Gennie is the clear favorite so I guess they're the ones who will get my hard earned folding. I realize this subject has come up before but it's always good to get your fresh opinions.

4. I am happy to see all the favorable comments reguarding the Gennie Shifter.

Some of you may already know but for those of you that don't, my son Race is the General Manager of the Gennie Shifter Company located in Denver.

Everything is made and machined right here in the good old USA and the quality control is top priority with the company.

They are however a manufactuer and do not sell retail, this is to incourage the dealer network and never undersell there own dealers as some manufactures do in the aftermarket. Thus you have to purchase the shifters from a dealer. But any problems will be addressed promptly by the company.

I don't have any connection with the company other than my son's being employed there, but I do run a Gennie Shifter in my Roadster, that I did get a slight discount on:D and do know when installed correctly they will provide years of service.

Thanks for listening to a Proud Dad rant about his son.

5. stickers

stickers

Neither.... real hotrods have 3 pedals

6. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Gennie is the choice of the two hands down.

7. This may be a stupid question, but when measuring for one of these shifters, does 16", 23", etc., refer to the distance from the floor to the shift knob OR to the length of the shift stick (bends and all)????????

8. deucemanab

deucemanab

Have A Lokar On My 32 Sedan Have No Vibration Problem
    But I Do Recommend An Indicator To Show What Gear Your In.

9. I've had both... Gennie.

Sam.

10. johnnykck

johnnykck

Gennie, have one in both my cars and they work great.

11. gennies rule
    lokars are as sloppy as a 2 dollar hooker right out of the box
    they like to go 1,2,oops... neutral

12. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

good call me when you need one

13. cliff bryan

cliff bryan

using Lokar and a little dissappointed. bumps move the shifter to lower gear and I cannot get the neutral safety switch to work properly. it was simple to install and looks great but not being a brain surgeon I cannot get the bugs worked out so will just live with what I have. I decided to go with another knob(without push button) bought the kit for the changeover and have had problems ever since.

14. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

Gennie shifter always. They have a great product and good people working there.

15. Rockit53

Rockit53
    from Berwyn, IL
    1. 37-38 Chevys

Definitely Gennie....easy to install...works great...

16. Mopar34

Mopar34

Currently have a Lokar in my 34 and it has been some what problem free since I swapped out the original tranny mount for a floor mount. The Lokar people were excellent to deal with. At the time Gennie didn't have a product to match my needs, but next time I will give them a shot because I like their products abilities better than Lokars.

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Took the car for a nice drive in the country yesterday afternoon and for most of those 3 hours, my wife sat with her hand resting on top of my LOKAR shifter in order to keep that f'ing little button from buzzing. That sucks & I can't believe that Lokar is unaware of this issue, yet they keep on producing it without a fix. That sucks.

I like the idea of the lockout button, but dammit, they really need to come up with something that does not buzz!

And yes, I have tried udjusting the set screw, but it just does not really solve their issue.

For that one annoying reason alone, I'd say Lokar sucks.

18. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

The linkage on my lokar shifter vibrated loose. I put my car in park and got out and it rolled into another car...30 minutes ago!!!

19. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

I've owned two Gennie Shifters in the past and have a Lokar in my Roadster now. I'd go with the Gennie for all the reasons discussed above.

20. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

My Gennie is hanging on the wall after I ran it through the chop saw. the detents suck and the tall shifter will jump out of gear if you hit a big bump. Now I have a Hurst Quarter stick. great detents, lockout...everything I could ask for.

21. Boogie

Boogie
    from Finland

Hi

Im gonna buy gennie shifter to my 55 chevy pickup and i just want to know how tall is that gennies Swan rear mount shifter. Is that 32 or 28" ?

Thanks!:)

22. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I wonder how many Threads there are on this topic :eek:..... I run the Gennie shifter BTW and like it alot.

23. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I have a Lokar and don't like it all.The saddle mount had to be spread to fit the trans(TH350),in the past two weeks it's developed a rattle between the floor and the trans housing and the detent isn't to my liking.The neutral safety switch does work well,but I had to play with the positioning for the gears.
    A stupid black plastic knob when I specified the spun aluminum one too?!
    What cinched it was charging for a kit to convert knobs.$20+. ?
    I made my own adapter.

Gennie will get my business next time and that might be sooner more than later.

24. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Gennie First choice! Better fit under the floor boards, Gennie is the Father to that style,lokar is the copy.

25. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

My shifter behaves exactly like yours and I also have to rest my hand on the thing to keep it from buzzing. I'm all for installing a fix as soon as one is available.

26. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I have a Locar......but next time I'll get a Genie cuz they have that cool picture of the chopped 41 coupe in their adds..........

27. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

how can it vibrate loose when they supply nylock nuts with the fitting kit? ive never seen nylock nuts vibrate loose.

28. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

I wish that Gennie and lokar would make their shifters with a cable instead of linkage and make them floor mounted instead of trans mounted. This would solve a bunch of problems. Any time you mount something direct to the drivetrain you will get a vibration. Installing either of these shifters in a car that is already built is a pain in the ass. If we could just bolt it to the floor wherever we wanted and run a cable like every other shifter made today, except the mr gasket pos cheapy, life would be better. I dont understand why they do this.

29. Have one of each. Wish the Genie was in my Burb because I have an e-brake in and therefore don't need the locking park position. Wish the Lokar was in my 29 b/c I have no e-brake in it and could use the precaution of a locking button. Ah, life.