Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie Shifter Swing Clearance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPMACHADO, Oct 5, 2008.

1. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

Would anyone know, approximately, how far to the side a Gennie Tail mount shifter needs room to swing when moving in and out of the gate? I’m talking about up at the knob, not down at the housing. I want the 12” stick on the rear of a TH350. Thanks

2. Measured mine at 12" from the floor.

Side swing = 1".

For & aft = 7 1/2"

The pivot center is even with the top of the floorboard.
    (3/4" veneer plywood encapsulated in one layer of fiberglass.)

Fwiw, my shifter is 21 1/2" off the floor to the center of the original Gennie Shifter knob.

Side swing = 1 7/8".
    Fore & aft = 11"

3. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

Thank you very much. You continue to be one the most knowledgeable and helpful people on this board.

4. Thanks.

Others have done the same - and more - for me.

Anyhoo, I was wondering why you'd need the side measurement?

Even with the long stick in my roadster nothings in the way when I grab it for low, reverse or park.

Along these same lines I drove my pal's Gennie Stick equipped 29 roadster with the short stick, probably same as yours and I thought there'd be a bit of a reach, but it was easy to reach and shift.

I was more than likely thinking of my short stick B&M comp shifter you've seen in pics of my 31.
    It used to be in my 32 and was a bit of a reach to cock it for reverse.

Nuff for now, gotta cruise to the market in the roadster and buy the stuff for buttermilk wheat bread.

Not as big a deal as it sounds, I have a bread machine.

As well as a killer recipe - three ingredients - for beer bread done in a cast iron dutch oven.
    A really easy and very good bread.

Only sad part is, you have to sacrifice a can of beer . . . sniff, sniff....

5. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

6. Gotcha.

Note that the measurements are at the extreme end of travel.

During normal shifts you pull it at about a 45 degree angle and as soon as the gate is cleared, the shifter detents into the next position.
    Pretty much a no-thinking about it deal.
    Much like you'd do on a column shift automatic.

I end up grabbing my shifter a little below the knob a lot of the times.
    Just depends on what I'm doing, parking or going through the gears manually.

One small word of advice, it the shifters gonna be hard to get to once the floor, etc. are in, tighten up the friction nut a touch.
    They'll loosen up a bit after the initial install.

Mine did, access is difficult cuz the upholstery guy glued the ring, carpet etc. down.
    So far it's doing ok, but would be better with a little more drag on the shifter.