Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie shifter floppy?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greezeball, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Greezeball

Greezeball

Yes I did a search and all I found was a bunch of grumbling about whether or not they were still in business or if they even deserved to be and blah blah blah. I don't care about the politics I just want to find a solution to my problem. So here we go. The shifter in question was not installed by me and I'm not even sure what model it is, it is on a 700r4 in a 52 Chev Fleetline and a mid mount type of bracket not a tail mount. The mounting bracket has come loose (again) and makes it nearly impossible to shift. Why does it keep coming loose? This has caused the shifter to break in the past. I don't know why it keeps coming loose. Anybody have a copy of the install instructions? Maybe I'm missing a part of the mount?:confused:

2. John Denich

John Denich

Is there two bands that go over the trans, make sure there are two, also locktite the bolts in to the side of the trans.

3. Greezeball

Greezeball

Thanks I'll have a good look this weekend.

4. Blue Lock-tite is mandatory, as well as checking the length of the bolts. If its anything like the Lokar, the threads of the bolts barely go through the threads in the plates, and I mean barely. Check the tranny mount too, dont laugh, you need a good mount to absorb some of the driveline vibrations, as a broken mount will not. If any of the bolts go into the tranny housing and I imagine they do, the installer might have used never seize on the threads. Use Lock-tite here too, blue or purple, but not red, this will keep the bolt from becoming loose as well as not seizing. TR

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Lock tite, and jamb nuts

6. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

That mount comes with 2 round rubber shims which are to be placed on either side of the trans to keep it from rocking front to back. The ones that come with the shifter are around 2" in diameter, and maybe 1/8" thick. The merely take up the slack between the saddle mount and the trans. I ordered a couple of these 6 months ago when I discovered mine were missing.

7. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ah ha! Rubber baby buggy bumpers are missing! Thanks!
    That's exactly what it's doing, rocking back and forth.