Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gennie, Lokar, American shifter. Which one to get?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodRyan, Dec 18, 2019.

1. uncle buck

uncle buck

I'm with Dean. I have had a Gennie in my 36 roadster with a TH-350 for 35 years and it has been trouble free the entire time.

chryslerfan55 and aussie oldie like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool but does the park lock out still work?

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Bought a Gennie shifter back in the nineties for a 350th and had no problems with it.

4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Had a problem with a Gennie that would shift itself when hitting a hard bump / pothole , so I adapted the Gennie upper to a Mustang unit which has more positive Detent ( notches ) problem fixed

5. mj40's

mj40's

I have a Gennie in my 40 Coupe. It works well. In the early days they had a problem of vibration causing them to drop down a gear when in drive. They had a fix for that and much better now. My 32 coupe had a Lokar and I hated it. When it was hot it would not shift into park. Let it cool for an hour and it would work again. It was not the trany but in the shifter itself. My new to me 32 Coupe has a Lokar and it works fine. Not fond of the knob button though. Makes it hard to replace with something cool.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'd hate to break a nail while accidentally shifting into Natural.

bchctybob, swade41 and DIYGUY like this.
  7. 1962 dodge lancer

1962 dodge lancer
    from joliet, il

go with the gennie.

aussie oldie likes this.
  8. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

btw, bought my Gennie from summit, less $ than from Gennie and no freight.

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I’m pretty sure that this is really two knobs. The first, from Lokar, mounts to the stalk and operates the detent mechanism just like their other knobs. The difference is that the “button” of this knob is a threaded stud, so that the second knob (user supplied) has a place to mount.

So, yes, the parking detent works. You push down on the whole knob assembly instead of the normal Lokar push down on the button in the middle of the knob.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Good explanation! I will be changing knobs at some point after reading this.

11. flatout51

flatout51

I've had both lokar and gennie. The gennie is way bigger in my experience and the instructions are far more vague. That being said they are solid. The lokar I had did develop a rattle after some use, the cable that runs inside the shifter. I'm about to decide on one for the AOD going in my shoebox and I'm going to go lokar again. I like the smaller package and I'll be using their TV cable, throttle cable and pedal so I just want to keep it all the same brand. I will be using one of their shift knob adapters to run my HAMB shift knob.

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. papajohn

papajohn

I have, what looks like a Lokar. Not crazy about it. Shifts kind of vague. Wanted to get a longer handle, but heard bad things about them bouncing between gears.

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had a Lokar with the long handle and a heavy shift knob and it did the same thing; changed gears on a hard bump like RR tracks. It seemed like the detents weren’t strong enough. I put a lighter shift knob (old Bakelite) and it was better.

chryslerfan55 and Dave Mc like this.
  14. I have used a Gennie on my 36 since the mid 80s without problem, I can't vouch for the others. I would buy another in a heart beat. Mitch.

15. Binkman

Binkman

I needed a shifter for my '34 2- dr project. The car has a new 302 and an FMX trans that came with the car.
    I looked at Summit, Jeg's Speedway, EBY, etc. They wanted $250-$350 bucks for a shifter.
    One day I was buying something on Amazon and thought to look there for a shifter.
    They listed an American Shifter for an FMX trans for 44.00. I conacted them to verify and bought it. They even shipped it for free during the holidays last year They said it was old stock and being discounted.
    It works great even if it is from the Hoffman guys.

chryslerfan55, flatout51 and Dave Mc like this.
  16. flatout51

flatout51

I bought a set of Hoffman group 32 rails. Far better quality than speedway rails and way less money. Fast shipping, I had zero issue.

17. 5brown1

5brown1

I have both and prefer the Gennie. I like the detent feature which make is much easier to select the gear
    you want. I find the Lokar much more difficult to operate.

18. Yes, DAVID GERSIC's explanation is spot on.

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Actually at back to the 50's this last summer Lokar had a new shifter on display that is like a Gennie where you shift by the detents and does not have the button. They said it was brand new and would be going into production last fall. The display piece had a nice solid feel to it and you could install any knob you want.. You may want to check with Lokar about price and availability. Larry

HotRodRyan likes this.
  20. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have a set of Hoffman 32 rails , CHECK them, the set I have every body bolt hole where 1 inch to2-1/4 inches off , gas tank holes off by 1/2 to 1 inch , fire wall holes wrong location / backwards ( have 2 Original Fords ) frame was advertised for full fender car , No bolt holes . I have a original Ford sub rails , frame must have been drilled / stamped after a night of drinking , Try to contact Hoffman , No response , So I let the bank deal with . Hoffman parts are hit or miss!!
    Re-drilling holes / welding not to big of a deal
    "Time ", But that not what I paid for .
    I think about people that are building on a budget / limited tools or skill to correct problems. Then become discourage

21. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the Gennie. I like the side detent they use. Reminds me of my dad’s old GTOs.

22. error404

error404
    from CA

I'm pretty sure that the shifter in my 33 is a Lokar. It seems to work just fine, don't know how easy it was to install, it was on there when I got the truck. I'm guessing the shift knob is supposed to be black, but in the light it has a purple tint to it. FYI.

23. missysdad1

missysdad1

I did the research and pulled the trigger on a Gennie. I wanted one that mounted on the transmission not the floor, one with mechanical connection to the shift arm not cable, one that had side detents and one that I could custom fabricate my own shifter lever. The install isn't completed yet, but so far so good.

chryslerfan55, swade41 and DIYGUY like this.
  24. flatout51

flatout51

I bought mine for my 33 pickup. It will be channeled and the rear bobbed so the stock holes do not matter to me. But mine are very close going off of the dimensions found on Wescotts website. Only issue I found was from the rear axle area back they spread a little wide. But that's an easy fix.

25. Jimbo von Cartier

Jimbo von Cartier

26. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Replaced bandm star shifter with a gennie, loved it...

27. Blake 27

Blake 27

I am biased, my brother Tom Phipps designed and started Gennie Shifter Co. in the early 80s.
    One of the things I like best is the shift pattern, identical to most modern column shift cars. It's intuitive after driving passenger cars for years.
    The two jam nuts on the right side of the shifter adjust the friction drag eliminating "bump" shifting.
    I thought I'd include a couple pics of an early Gennie Shifter add featuring the late Angela Aames. Ad shoot--2.jpg-final.jpg Ad shoot-.jpg-final.jpg

28. uncle buck

uncle buck

Mine is that same early tubular mount design. It has worked flawlessly for 45 years - not that I noticed with Angela’s beauty in the same picture....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lokar. All I use for automatics.

30. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Most of my cars have had Lokar and they worked great.
    Present car has Genie. I really like it.