Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Generic" Question about 272-292-312 Y-blocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I know the Y-Block has 100's of thread posts of info, --Believe me I searched--, but I have this generic question. When looking for engine parts, some companies have a description of:

Will Fit-- 292/312 Motors,

while some have:
    Will Fit-- 272/292/312 Motors,

and others have:
    Will Fit-- Y-Blocks

What are the variables as to why parts would fit one and not another?? Other than the obvious like pistons, because of pin heaight, heads because of chamber size, etc.
    This is my FIRST 50 something Ford ride, it's a '56 Customline 2 door. I traded it for my '94 Big Body Fleetwood caddy which monitarily was worth a little more than the Ford, but I was done with my Lowiding of the caddy and the "older" couple that traded me wanted a bigger more comfy ride, so we struck up a deal.
    Basically straight and rust free, 272 with column shift, interior is gone but seats are useable until I find the correct ones, glass good, shaved deck lid and hood, and all side trim shaved off. Runs good and looks good, and I am happy with it, but want to put some underhood goodies on it, lower it some and just have FUN crusing around in it...Ken

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

3. R Pope

R Pope

Heads,manifolds, cams, most everything will fit 272-312. The early 339 and 256 had some issues with cam bearings, I think, but a 272 has mostly later standard parts.

4. If you stick with a 57 or later engine you should be ok for parts swaps.The 56 has a crappy distributor,change it to a 57 or later so you have a regular advance mechanism.Stay away from the 54 parts,they were pretty unique.The 57-59 heads had bigger valve size.You can buy the rest aftermarket and it should fit your 272.

5. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thanks very much!! Thats what I needed to know...Ken