Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator unwired

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61bone, Apr 22, 2009.

1. 61bone

61bone

Got my tripower 389 set in the run stand and hooked up. Before I fire it, as no one has broched this subject before, will it damage the generator to run it without wiring it up to charge a battery? I know alternators don't like it but I just don't remember about generators.
    Thanks

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why not just hook it to a battery to be safe?

3. 61bone

61bone

Because I don't want to go through all the hassle of wiring and polarizing a regulator and amp gauge for a one time deal.:)

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Won't hurt it for a few minutes. Way I understand you is you just want to test fire the engine for a short period?

5. Rust Monkey

Rust Monkey

Why not just pull the brushes out to prevent it from charging while it spins?

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

How about spending a few bucks and buy a different belt and eliminate the Generator ?

You dont need it to test the engine & its much cheaper than repairing a Generator.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think you guys worry too much.:D It's a generator not a computer. I guess I've just driven too many miles with a faulty regulator and no place for the current to go to worry about it. Contrary to popular belief generators are pretty tough units that stood up to all of us dumb kids in the 50s. JMO

8. 61bone

61bone

Planning on breaking in the cam running the valves and doing a final tune. Back of the mind says it won't hurt. Just trying to get verification. Thanks guys.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If the generator is not hooked up, it may try and output some current, but where is it going to go, no connection -current roadblock. Won't hurt it.