Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator squeal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Poopbox, Sep 2, 2012.

1. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

So here is the situation on my 59 F100 with a 292 Y-Block.
    -I just completed re-wiring the truck using a 9+3 Rebel Wire kit
    -No noise present at idle but when I first rev the engine it squeals then goes away
    -This started the first time i ran the engine after rewiring
    -If I pull the armature wire or field wire off the noise stops
    -I verified using the factory fire diagram and also confirmed with Rebel that it is wired correctly
    -The gen is still charging

Rebel talked to some people and they said it could be a voltage regulator. Does anyone have an opinion on this, or some areas to check? I hate to just throw parts at things.

2. F&J

F&J

Put a voltmeter on it, to see if it's overcharging, like almost 15 volts, or more. If not, buy a new belt.

I don't know if they are still available, but Dayco had a "top cog" belt that worked well with 1980s high amp V-belt alternators that tended to slip after the pulley got worn a bit. That's why cars went to serpentines soon after. But that top cog worked good on any worn V pulley.

If the battery got low on charge during rewire, it can add more stress on the belt until the battery is back to 100%.

3. does this squeal sound like a belt slipping or a bearing going bad? can you oil the bearings?

4. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

It definetly does not sound like a belt squeal. Also the whole thing of the noise going away when a wire is disconnected is weird. I guess it could be the load on the gen is causing the belt to slip but I'm pretty sure it's not a belt squeal.

5. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

When you put a heavy load on a generator, it makes it harder to turn. It makes sense that pulling the wire lowers the load and the belt doesn't squeal. It would also make sense that it started after new wires if the new wiring is causing it pull more load than it did before. the question is: Why is pulling more load? We're new wires smaller gauge than the old ones? Is it shorting out somewhere?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What is the condition of the battery? A bad battery can put quite a load on the charge system. #5 is correct,..no load, no noise....

4TTRUK

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If it's a belt get it to squeal and spray some brake clean on the belt. If it goes away the you know what the problem is. If that's not it, a mechanics stethoscope on each end will locate the bearing that needs replacing.

8. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

Thanks guys. I will look in to these things. I'm going to assume wire gauge is sufficient since they appear to be larger wires then what was factory. At least for now.