Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator Rebuilding So Cal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Nov 4, 2010.

1. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Hey everyone!

I am currently building my 1951 Nash Rambler, and was wondering if anybody knew of someone in So Cal that can rebuild the generator out of it. Possibly even converting it to 12volt. I have to use this generator because there is an output shaft in the back the runs the water pump.

I see them pop up on ebay for around 100bucks....

But wasn't sure if it would be cheaper to have someone rebuild it....or possibly I can rebuild it but I have never dealt with generators before. I can buy the brushes and coils online but not quite sure what else I would need.

Thank you everyone!!!!!

2. i hope it has a delco or standard, put a double pulley on the front and drive a alternator off the extra grove, if you have a wide belt you may have to have a friend machine one out for you

crazy as it seems i had a Caterpillar earthmover and put a 24 volt starter on it and took the old gen drive which was being used for a idler to tighten belt
    welded another pulley on end of idler pulley, took 62 chev alt bkt and mounted to body and hung a alternator and spun it off the idler, worked:eek:

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be plenty of quality generator/starter/alternator shops down there. It won't be cheap to have yours done but I would rather have the one I had rebuilt than swap it off for an unknown quantity. If you can't find a shop there the local guy here can most likely do it and you would have to UPS or mail it to him. the owner is into old cars and the shop has been around a long time. http://www.smithae.com/ They are who I take my stuff to if I can't do it myself and who I buy most all of my starter and alternator parts from.

4. place called AIS over on Deering (by Saticoy & Canoga) they are just down the street fom Mike's Chevy Parts

or Mission Auto Electric in San Fernando, both places are into the older stuff. My first choice would be AIS

5. nutwagonfromhell

nutwagonfromhell
    from missouri

I`m actually curious about repairing a generator myself. I have a 57 dodge coronet survivor car with all original parts and the original paint job. I`m trying to keep the original parts intact.