Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Generator pulley swap?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can I run a earlier style say “37” generator pulley on a 40-48 unit so I can mount a fan up high in 32 with a Flathead?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Some pulleys were keyed and some were threaded. If the generator and pulley are both threaded it should go right on. If you need the threaded pulley I think Speedway used to make them. I think the original threaded pulleys came on '39 standard or something unusual like that. You may want a '37 (and up a couple of years) manifold to mount the generator as low as possible for a '32, start a conversation with me if you need one.

Charlie Stephens

Runnin shine and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My generator of choice has threads and a key way. I generically mention “37” cause of the ability to mount a fan, a key way groove, and being held down with a nut. I was under the impression that 33-39 are similar in being cast iron, keyed, use a nut/lock washer, and all have four holes for fan mount. On a 40-48 the pulley threads onto the shaft but has no fan provision and is stamped steel. I guess I was wondering if the early pulley fits the later shaft and also leaves enough exposed thread to fit the nut and washer. The reason for this query is the need to purchase a pulley to mount a fan.
    My intake is a early Edmunds custom and I just got the old chrome generator from the classifieds. I’m dead set on these two components so figuring a way to get the fan driven is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Could you not just get a whole generator and slide the later guts into your Chrome case? If I recall the shaft size and bearings are the same, but it has been a while since I quit fooling with ford flatty stuff.

wideglide74 and Runnin shine like this.

5. 42merc

42merc

A '39 standard pulley will work.
    Still has the fan provision with the threaded hub.
    If you're looking for one, PM me.

Runnin shine likes this.
  6. There are two different armature sizes on the pre 39 generators with the earlier being a smaller OD shaft and taper bore than the 39. Be careful in buying pulleys as it's easy to get the wrong parts without verifying fit in person.

Also be very aware that those early style pulleys DO NOT respond well to shipping and it's very likely if you ship a generator no matter how well packed that it's very likely going to arrive with a smashed pulley. (Ask me how I know and on more than one occasion)

Lastly I have a 46/48 generator on the shelf with an OG 39 style pulley adapted via some machine work.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Runnin shine likes this.