Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods generator on T wont charge????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boo, Aug 31, 2017.

1. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

just cranked up my Tv8, 1951 8ba engine for first time after long 3yr bld. i had a gen shop convert the orig 6vlt gen to 12v, put out 35-40 amps on bench.put it in couple years ago, just now started it up,i polorized the gen by sparking to field pole unhooked from the regulator, still no charge???? it's a new regulator. any sugestions????

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Put it in a couple years ago ... just started it up".

If I'm reading correctly. Make sure connections are clean and tight and free from corrosion. Find the correct polarization procedure, don't guess or ask Uncle Bob how it works on his tractor.

Generator regulators have contact points in the cutout, voltage, and current relays. If it's sat a long time they may have a layer of crud. Use some fine garnet paper on them.

4. Budget36

Budget36

So no voltage from the generator, or not proper voltage at the battery? Check at the regulator.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

took the gen back to guy that converted from 6v to 12v for me, chcked and was putting out 30-35 amps so took back and put on car and still no charge. i called a friend and asked him what was wrong, he asked what reg i had, i told him the napa # and he looked it up and said it was a 1956 ford autolite 60 amp reg, told me the right napa # for a 25-35 amp FORD gen, i got one and it charges great.

Los_Control likes this.