Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

My only Custom was a 1959 AMT 1/24 plastic model kit and not many customs excite me but this story is great!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

cabong,

Can you post a photo of the yellow "1950 Chevrolet" sign seen in a couple of your shots?

Thanks for telling this fascinating story.

3. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

What a heart warming story. I'm subscribed.

4. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

This is really coming together nicely. Really like the components you have put together. I agree with the comment on the headlight doors and think they would look good chromed to tie it altogether. I'm sure Leland will be thrilled with what you are doing for him and the car.

5. What an excellent job you´re doing and a great story. The new front end is a perfect fit. And X2 on the chromed headlamp doors. Will you be fitting some kind of sidelights underneath the Plymouth parts of the grille (below the headlights)? Looks like something belongs there.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. cabong

cabong

Okay, after a couple days of R&R it's time to forge ahead. First, to answer a couple questions....The area beneath the narrowed Plymouth grille bars will be occupied by Plymouth parklights, that match the opening well. They will be mounted from behind, so that they "float" in the space.
    [​IMG]

The "1950 Chevy" sign is actually a framed information sign that Leland used with the Kruizer in it's only show. This was about 20 years ago, as you can see by the color of the paper.

[​IMG]

I hope the correct pics uploaded, as I'm not Mr. Wizard on this thing. You can see how the lights will fit into the space.

On New Years day I went to the visit with Leland and his wife, and managed to snag a computer at the facility. With Leland looking over my shoulder, I went through every post, and we talked about every one, who they came from, where they came from, and what every avatar meant. That got a little delicate at times, but we managed through. It took about 4 hours, and was a great afternoon. We laughed, cried, and shared wonderful stories. I asked about doing a video interview, and Leland is fine with that. This weekend, I will make that happen.

Nick and I are getting together tonight to piece everything together for fit. Then the fun starts, welding it all together. Again, both Leland and Gene are totally in tune with the finish product.

We are mulling over the headlight bezel situation (chrome or no-chrome), and really appreciate the comment. More, more........Same with the wheel well......
    How 'bout some ideas on color???????

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Fantastic that you can get all the history of the car. I say let Gene pick the color since he'll be painting it..

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No pix in your last post cabong...

R-

9. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I sure hope it gets some Winfield "Fade" with the color chosen. A truly great story and adventure.

10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This description of who he is, is why this is all happening. He has lived a life deserving of this blessing.

11. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I could see this ol' girl in that Cadillac Lavender color from the late 50's.

If it worked well on the Eldos, why not this beauty?

12. rustiepyles

rustiepyles

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for updates. I would say not to chrome the headlight bezel/surround since it is so large. with a new color (?) it will help the grill to stand out like it should.

olpaul and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

This car would look great with a Winfield purple fade.

Attached Files:

15. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Wow great story! Also great work too! How about more pic's of the whole car as it sits now. Any interior shots? This is a fun thread.

16. briarpatch27

briarpatch27

Great project. So who is "Nick" that works with you? Hows about posting some photos of the interior? Is this your first attempt at restoring an old build? Looking forward to following this.

17. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Great update! It sounds like you are really giving Leland his second childhood!

As far as explaining avatar's.... well, some people are more conservative than others. I wouldn't want to try to explain a few to my 7 year old............

I dug out a couple of "little pages" to compare similar headlight treatments. Obviously, magazine features are only a snapshot of that era...but still a decent guideline.

IMO Kustoms are a breed of their own and usually represent a guy that wanted to build his own "NEW" dream concept car. Most of them are influenced by WHEN they were built. If Detroit was building lower roofs or "thinner" profiles, big open mouth grilles or pillarless "hardtops", guy's were customizing their car to match (with their own twist).

These magazines are a little NEWER than I would like. But all I could find at the moment. By 1957/1958 QUAD headlights were all the rage.

I KNOW..... I have 1954-1955-1956 mags somewhere else. (the Era the "Kruizer").

The 1954 Mercury (red) and 1956 Merc (bronze) have hooded headlights. Those look Plymouth front fender tops on the '54.

The Purple '49 Ford is a bit more radical.... but similar concept.

BTW, all 3 have the "insert" (bezel) that the bulb fits in... chromed for contrast.

Also threw in '55 and '56 Plymouth for reference.

Attached Files:

18. raymay

raymay

Another vote here for a Winfield Purple fade paint job. Jalopy Joker may be right, put color on the headlight bezels. I think the grille is going to be the real focal point. You can always chrome them later if you don't like it. Great work so far. You have a good eye and your design is flowing together very nice.

19. cabong

cabong

Hey...Great info from the wee mags. I have a bazillion of the little guys, mainly R&C, but all the rest also. Never occurred to me to look at'm, and the ones you point out all are familiar. It's amazing how the use of these headlights restricted the grille choice. Thanks again!!

20. johnod

johnod

Great story, going to keep an eye on this.
    I think your grill ideas look really good.
    Not so sure about that bumper though, I think I prefer the simpler bumper from the first post .
    The proof will be in the pudding as they say.
    Keep up the good work.

21. XERB

XERB

Winfield purple fade away for sure!

22. cabong

cabong

The color issue will be a toughie!! Leland and his bride both like the idea of a purple shade. I have looked at lots of kustoms and lots of colors. Some work, some don't. The infamous Winfield "Fade" came a few years later, but is still interesting. One of the tidbits that came out of my long Leland session a few daysago, is that this was one of the first "complete" customs to come out of Gene's shop.
    Stay tuned......In response to a couple interior questions, I will post interior shots tomorrow. I had decided that the paint did not have to match the interior, as the interior was easier to change, but most shades of maroon, burgandy, purple, eggplant (did I just say eggplant), lavander, etc, would work.
    By the way.....The trim is out being straightened and polished. The "Olds" side trim on the passenger side was flattened, and the header was heavily dented. I was flat afraid to show this stuff to him, but his response......."no problem" . Man, I flat love dealing with people that really know their stuff!!!!!!!! The chrome is going to Ogden Plating for their touches.
    More to come!!!!!

23. 'Mo

'Mo

This is a great sign!

Can you tell us anything about the "MOTOR WORK" performed?

[​IMG]

24. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

I like the fact that Leland is actually able to finish his car! It also looks like he found the right guy to help make that happen!!!!

It occurred to me that looking at some old Kustoms in the magazine's might get the juices flowing. (and trigger Leland's memory).

Also, Pastel colors were VERY popular in the early to mid 1950's. Any number of shades of lavender/ purple, some pearls and mettalics would all fit the bill.

When you consider that Leland could have "finished" the '50 Chevy back in the 70's or 80's with crushed velour interior and body colored trim..... Lucky for us and history that he (and the car) waited for YOU!

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with for the next update! This whole deal is just TOO COOL!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. ehdave

ehdave

What a great story and build, its great to see this car coming together in the traditional style that it should. I will have to get the sounds card on the computer working again so i can watch the interview with Leland.

Truly inspriring, its great to see there's still people out there helping those who deserve it and what better project could there be?

Cheers,
    Dave

26. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

its pretty cool seeing the Info card.. How many of those have survived over time.. ?

27. cabong

cabong

Yes I can, as a matter of fact, but it is with tears in my old peepers......Someone convinced Leland, some years back, that the old "six" just wasn't up to the riggors of driving nowadays. Never mind that Leland had made a trip that circumvented the continental United States, with that "six". (More on that trip later, it's a gas) It was born with a 216/3-spd, and had just 32,000 miles on it when it went away. It was equiped with all Howard equipment, intake, valve cover, cam, side covers, and a split manifold, that I understand was trick. Leland mentioned that it had a set of early Corvette side drafts, although I'm not sure they were still on it. In went a SBC and auto. Depending on funds and time, I am entertaining the thought of going back in time. I absolutely love sixes. Nick, whose doing most of the work you see, drives an AD pickup with a 235 (?) and his brother drives a '51 coupe with a 235/5-spd. I recently sold a '51 2-dr sloper with a really nice 235 with all the goodies. Now you can see why it brings tears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

olpaul and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. dubcee

dubcee

I loved my 51 fast back with the 235, after i screwed a 5 speed behind it!Sure wish Leland knew where that old mill resided today! That would be the bees knees with a little modern engineering between it and the rear end!

29. luke13

luke13

hell yeah, great read this exactly what i signed on for.

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Great story, cabong. Tell Mr & Mrs Grantz I say hello from southwest Wyoming, and I'm subscribing to your thread.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014