Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. cabong

cabong

Well leadheads and ladies, here we are in September, and all is well. Nick and I took a break from the slinky stovebolt to ponder on other projects. We do still have a couple wee things to complete on Lelands burple blaster. There is a piece of trim that goes on each side of the top, under the edge, that gits a seal and the windows then close up tight. We have had the lowslung leadster to a couple picnics at the facility where Leland and Margene reside, and needless to say, it was loved by all. Remember, Travis the Magnificent's grandfather also lives there. Plans right now are to go to Mojave Oct. 11 for the Gene Winfield/Larry Watson Thing. Remember once again, according to Gene, this is probably the first full kustom that he did as a complete car, not just a partial, like bullnosing a hood, or changing taillights, etc. I hope to be down there on Friday, before the event. Leland would like to go, and if I can clear it with the facility, I'll make it happen. It could be tricky, but what the heck, if it was easy, we'd let the hot rod guys do it. Kustoms Rule........

2. cabong

cabong

On a new note, check out "quads in a '57 Ford".

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Torchie

Torchie

Good luck to you and sure hope that Leland makes the trip.
    I would love to be there just to hear those to telling stories.
    Torchie.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. racer_dave

racer_dave

thx for the update. Hope the trip all works out.

5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Cabong - Is that supposed to be a link to another HAMB thread? If so, it isn't working, and I can't find it using the search function on my app (Android phone).

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. cabong

cabong

Hey Sancho....Thanks!!!!!

7. That Kustom came out great... great story.. Thanks again for sharing this with us here...

8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Thanks, Sancho!

9. Javier Garcia

Javier Garcia

Saw the build, and the story... awesome!
    Car came out beautiful.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. cabong

cabong

Well a tad more work continues. The trim on the bottom edge of the top had never been completed, so we figured it should go on before taking the trek to the desert next week. Now we know why it had never gone together. It didn't fit. So a little tweeking and twisting and walah!!!!! There it is. Now we have the rubber window seal that we found to put in. The whole process should really define the lower edge of the top. Tomorrow we'll find out. I also took two of the hubcaps to Brad the Magnificent for his special polish. I had to beg bigtime, as he is working on the brightwork for a Ridler contender. Naturally, this is more important. Leland is still with us, but going South with me is out of the question, unfortunately.

Attached Files:

11. cabong

cabong

If you've gone through this thread from front bumper to exhaust tip, you will have seen the ways that Leland's world and my world have lined up. Well I just bumped into another intersection. Early on I posted a picture of Leland's '40 Plymouth sedan delivery, setting in front of Gene's shop. Needless to say, the Chevrolowster was inside being massaged upon. I just found out that the picture was taken by none other than Spence Murray, then editor of R&C. Seem he had just flat towed the Dream Truck to Gene's shop for the hood and front fender work. Soooooo, the Dream Truck and Leland's Chevy we there at the same time. I guess I have been blessed with the good fortune of having had both of these great Kustoms trusted to my care at some period in time. Lucky for me!!!!!!!! I can only hope that I have left them better off. God bless Spence Murray and Leland Grantz for creating these wonderful pieces of art!!!!!!!!

12. Torchie

Torchie

Regret hearing that Leland won't be making the trip with you. Unfortunately time waits for no one.........
    Sounds like you have taken on the roll of care taker as far as old customs go Cabong. And if Lelands custom is any example I'm sure that the dream truck profitted from your envolvement as well.
    And yes. It is truly a small world.......
    Torchie.
    p.s. You HAD better take a lot of pics of the trip.LOL

13. cabong

cabong

Okay, the top of Leland's Fliptop Flyer is finally done, and I didn't think it could look better than it already did, but boy was I wrong. I think the added trim and weather strip really define the outline of the bottom edge. Leland wanted something different, like a Carson or Hall styled top, that looked like a convertible top. And that is just exactly what this is. You guys be the judge, and lemme know.
    One more thing that was never completed is the kick panels. I have lots of the original material, so will try to put on my Brandon hat and git it done before leaving for Mojave. It's a long drive from here to Winfield's, but I think it should be well worth it. I only wish that Leland could ride shotgun. top done 003.JPG

14. Torchie

Torchie

Very Nice cabong. That trim really finishes off the top and window opening.
    Torchie.

15. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Have a safe trip & send lots of pics with good karma back to Leland!

16. cabong

cabong

Well it's time to post a little about the trip to the Winfield/Watson Show. It was a long haul down there, and I broke down on the way back, but a good time was had. Unfortunately Leland was not up for the trip, and is still real tired. There was an eclectic bunch of cars and characters down in the desert, which I reckon is normal. Check out the photos.......Gene in his "museum" of Star Trec stuff......Stuffung 10 pounds of Reactor in a 5 pound bag.....wee lineup, the panel belongs to Roger ODell, who owns the Vino Pisano, and was selling T Shirts......The one and only Blackie Gejeian, he did a short video to Leland.....There are always pinstripers at the show.......A great start for a kool kustom, a very rust free '54 with a not so nice chop, but fixable. Contact me if interested.

Attached Files:

17. cabong

cabong

Lelands Leadster will be for sale in the HAMB.......Sad but true......

18. SIC98

SIC98

Man, wish I had the money, hopefully someone that knows this cars soul will pick it up and do right by it, Leland, Gene, and now you guys!

19. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Ha! Chicks still dig Winfield!
    He's such a slut!

I wanna be him when I grow up.

20. Looks like a great time at Gene's. I'm glad to see he finished his museum. He had just started it a couple of years ago when I was there. I'm agree with you, when he said he was going to put the Reactor in there, I thought to myself I wonder how on earth he's going to fit it in here.

You've done such a great job on Leland's car. I hate to see you sell it. Very few people would have gone to the lengths you have to help Leland see the fruition of his dream. I pray it lands in hands as appreciative of it as the hands that brought it to completion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks for the pics of the show cabong. My thoughts on selling Lelands car echo drdave.
    Going out to buy my Lotto ticket as we speak. LOL
    Torchie.

22. cabong

cabong

A special note to those wonderful leadheads, custom gals, gearheads, and even hot rodders from near and afar. It is with heavy heart that I must say my friend and hero has passed on, and now has the opportunity to gather with God and all the rest of the leadsters and rodders that have passed before him. Leland loved his customs, almost as much as he loved his wife and daughters. I've known Leland for just one year, but what a year it has been. I have lost so many friends and relatives that, after they moved on, I have said to myself, damn, why did I not talk to them more. Why didn't I get the "rest of the story". Well, the good news is, I pestered Leland relentlessly about his "story", and I was able to learn most of what went on in his lifetime. And, I've been able to share most of it with all of you guys through this thread. Please join me in sniffing the fumes, bust'n the knuckles, and saying a silent prayer for a great friend, and a great hero!!!
    Thanks for following along, Bruce first ride 006.JPG

23. Tim Morris

Tim Morris

So sad. I did not want him or this thread to ever end.

24. My prayers go out to Leland's family and friends. Thanks again for taking us along on the ride, sharing Leland's story with us and all you did to help him get to see his car finished after so long. God bless you.

25. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

God Speed Leyland, thanks for sharing your history & passion.
    We'll miss your stories as relayed by Bruce.

26. Damn!.....rip-MIKE

27. Sad news, I'm glad Leland got to see his custom finished to a standard that it was deserving before passing. R.I.P. Leland.

28. Torchie

Torchie

R.I.P. Leland.
    Cabong.
    It is not often in this life that someone gets a chance to see a dream deferred become a dream realized. You granted that chance to Leland and in the process perhaps realized a few dreams of your own and ours as well.
    Thanks to you and those that made this all come true.
    Torchie.

29. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

R.I.P Leland. Condolences to family and friends. Thanks Cabong .