Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I wish I had made the long haul with the Jeff's. The pictures I got during the day made it even worse. Maybe next year.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

2. OldColt

OldColt

Know what you mean Quain. All us old 4 speed drivers back in the 60's and 70's just had our eye's, feet, shifter hands & brain to keep the RPM's and everything synced up back then. We only had our staging depth technique and front tire diameters to fine tune our reaction times. We just took that for granted as part of racing because all the electronic aids hadn't been invented yet. I would say it is probably an advantage to have driven that way for the older guys in Gasser racing. --- Steve ---

3. It's a crying shame that the Public Address system sucks!:mad:

Bret was very interesting and a first class announcer but with the antiquated system's 50 year old speakers cutting out we only heard spurts of dialog.

I did however hear him refer to Gene as a old man. HRP

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Though I've never seen him run in person somehow I knew in my heart that Gene would handle the car like he did back in the day. Sometimes its just stuff you don't forget. I'd like to think that I can still row a 4 speed like I did back in the day but who knows?

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

It is really great to see how well the car did in it return to action. A real testament to Gene's skills in both building and driving but thanks to Quain for his help in resurrecting the Moonlighter. When you go back to page one of this thread and see the results of today it is easy to put a smile on your face.

6. pontman

pontman

BAD ASS! The Moonlighter hooks hard and hauls ass!!! Looks like Gene was eager to get onto the lights and race. So damn cool!

7. austinhunt

austinhunt

That was really great to see! Especially after watching the build!

8. catdad49

catdad49

Just watched Gene's first round win and I'm flat-out amazed. That sucker not only looks the part, but runs like a raped ape. Way to go guys!! Wheels up to all those involved.

9. Actually, Gene got to the finish line first but he red lighted when he was racing Quain,,but he did win the 2nd round. HRP

10. I talked to Ruth this morning and she told me Gene had the surgery on his knee yesterday and is doing fine,,I'm going to see him this afternoon.

HRP

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  11. Update,Gene had a total knee replacement Tuesday and he is doing fine,the surgery went well and he even joked about it might make him quicker off the line.

He thinks they may release him from AAMC and transfer him to rehab Friday. HRP

12. captmullette

captmullette

good news, better watch out quain.......

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

What better rehab than kicking a clutch pedal?:D

14. I've posted some of these on another thread, but maybe some of you guys missed them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  15. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

^^^^^ very nice!!!!!

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

seadog, you take perfect pics they make you feel like your seeing them in person. Thank's again for the poster I have had so many complements on it. ~Quain Stott~

17. My dad, who came along with me to watch, keeps saying that the car is too nice to race and he has a point. The restoration and detail is phenomenal. He would be afraid to hurt it. I say let it do what it was always built to do. Race! I still smile when I think back to what we watched last weekend. Couldn't have turned out better. Hope Gene recovers quickly and Quain thanks for helping make all this a reality! Can't wait to watch ya'll again.

18. Talking with Melvin he told me that Gene's goals were to take it to the downtown car show on Fathers Day..Mission accomplished.

Take the car to the Hall of Fame induction..Mission accomplished.

And take the car to Greer and actually race and if something happened they had all winter to repair The Moonlighter.

Being out of racing for 40 years and the second pass in competition he proved to himself and everybody else he is still competitive.

I honestly believe Gene & Melvin had no doubt how Saturday's races would turn out. HRP

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Quain.Tell Gene that I wish him the best for a quick recovery.And next time don`t kick the rear tire so hard when he red lights.;And I know how difficult that surgery can be.My wife recently had her THIRD.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I'm letting Gene borrow my lap top, taking it to him tomorrow. I talked to him on the phone tonight his only complaint was that he didn't have a computer there to keep up with all the racing stuff and see the pic that people are posting from the Gasser race. I'll deliver the message woodbutcher.

21. loudbang

loudbang

Now THIS is one hell of a shot beautiful just awesome.

[​IMG]

22. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I got my autographed posters from my buddy Jeffery who made the long haul from Wisconsin. He said that the moonlighter is even nicer in person, and I think it looks perfect in pictures....these poster will keep Ohio George company on the shop wall.

He also said that this event was awesome, and that says a lot coming from guys who love the Meltdown.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

23. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Quain sure did one Hell of a job on that car!! LITTLE bit oif difference from where he started!! Chris

24. captmullette

captmullette

are there any more posters available....... thanks

25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Check out the Greer gassers thread. The artist posted them on that thread, so I think if you Pm her she could ship them to you.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

26. Cassandra made them..HRP

[​IMG]

You might send her a PM or send a PM to Gene and see if he has any.

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sit back and enjoy, very well done Quain !

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OLtnqPb0jWQ" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

28. OldColt

OldColt

Wow, great Quain interview. Hat's off to Competition Plus.:)

Can't wait till they get Gene's interview video posted up!

--- Steve ---

29. catdad49

catdad49

Hey Guys, is there any news on how Gene's coming along? Wish him a speedy recovery for me. Thanks, Carp

30. frank spittle

frank spittle

A knee replacement is an agonizing procedure. The after surgury therapy is pure torture. My brother had one done in his 60s and I know what he went through. Gene is 81. It will be a while before he is back to normal but oh will it be worth it! The pain he has been enduring during the Moonlighter restoration should be a thing of the past. Keep his therapy in mind as the days and weeks and months pass. One good thing...he picked the best time to have it done when not much is going on to miss out on.