Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

this has been such a great story! whats more fun than resurecting your history!

2. Went to see Gene and Ruth today and we sat around the kitchen table and talked for about a hour.

Gene told me not only did Gregg get to ride around the square but his daughter Julie did also when she hopped in as Gene was fired it off when they were preparing to load the car back in the trailer.

I ask Ruth when she was going for a ride,her reply "NEVER".."I'm not getting in that thing".:D

BTW,Ruth told me Gene's been testing in the driveway again,,no wheel stands yet. HRP

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  3. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

HRP, I talked with Ruth about that Saturday. I'm trying to set something up for her in a car that she would be more comfortable in.

4. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Such an amazing thread. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us, this is truly what it is all about.

5. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tell Ruth that I set my willys up for a passenger seat belts head rest and all.

7. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

LOL.....I'll tell her. I'll bet she says the same thing she did when I tried to get her to ride with Gene, "I ain't gittin' in that thing".

8. Quain ... She has already seen you in action. Don't think so. :D

9. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

10. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

11. That's the Ruth we all know and love. HRP

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uxnho9FkH0w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. DGreggsr

DGreggsr
    from SC

I thought it best to clear the air a little about my wonderful ride in the Moonlighter. It was kind if a spur of the moment thing. Gene was getting ready to go, I was standing next to him and just asked if I could ride along. While I did realize it was an honor, due to all of the excitement I did not have a clue how big this honor was. It was wonderful and exciting and I will remember it all of my life.

I admit I was attempting to keep it sort of on the down low because when I got out I realized I rode in the Willys before Quain did. He is probably going to whip my butt!!

It was a great honor and a wonderful experience. The day could not have been better.

13. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I sent the serial number from Gene's Hilborn injectors for the SOHC to Hilborn and just received a copy of the invoice. Gene purchased this one from Hilborn in March 1966.

14. OldColt

OldColt

It's kind'a funny how different people are when it comes to race cars. If it were my wife (she's in her 60's), she would take Quain up on that offer in a heartbeat. It would go something like this .... get me a helment, stand on it, hit them gears, and get those wheels up. After that she would probably ask for her turn to drive it. My mom, on the other hand, would probably say it's really pretty, but way too loud and fast to ride in. --- Steve ---

15. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

No problem David I want everyone to enjoy Gene and the Moonlighter that's why we did this and I know how the excitement and spur of the moment can be. But I have to say that I was waiting for Melvin or one of the daughters to jump in first. I think Ruth has let us all know that she won't be riding along. Anyway I have plenty of time setting on a wooden block dreaming in the hull of the forgotten Moonlighter when Gene first brought it to my shop. So no butt whooping necessary.

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

There is a small surprise coming for Gene but I have to wait until he see's it before I can post it on here, hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

They told Gene today that I took his grandson Geoffry Graves for a 1st through 2nd gear ride in my Gasser yesterday. He loved it and said he was hooked, I was hoping he would like it got to have Cromer blood in the Moonlighter when Gene get's finished with it. We have incar video that is coming soon.[​IMG]

18. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Geoffry is a fine young man, it would be great if he could drive the Moonlighter. He certainly has some good role models.

19. nicky64chevy

nicky64chevy

I was there yesterday and met Gene's daughter and her husband and son. They are very nice people. I came by your pit a couple of times to say hi but you were either busy with your car or already talking with someone. Maybe next time I'll have better luck. Otherwise had a great time.

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I'm always wide open you should have introduced yourself I would have stopped and talked. Hope you enjoyed yourself I think they are going to have us back this fall.

21. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

What did Gene say about this?

22. nicky64chevy

nicky64chevy

The one time we walked by you were removing the plugs, I don't like to bother someone who is working on their car. I'll catch up with you the next time. By the way we did have a great time. The only way it could have been better is if we were racing. If I can get rid of my bracket car I will be building a Chevy ll gasser. P.S. Glad to hear Gene's Grandson enjoyed the ride.

23. Way to go Quain. I'm sure that was quite an experience for him. You need to let me know about the fall meet and will try and make it.

24. I met Geoffry during the mad rush to get the car ready for the Greer unveiling.

I think Geoffery has a lot better understanding of just how much Gene loves drag racing and now that he has had a taste,,who knows?:D

Like all the Cromer's he is a super nice guy. HRP

25. OldColt

OldColt

Geoffry has that racer look about him. He looks pretty young. Anybody know if he is of driving age? I bet his grandpa is really proud of him. --- Steve ---

26. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Geoffry is a student at Clemson University, I believe he said he's a junior.

27. OldColt

OldColt

He should be old enough to drive then. I can't seem to tell a 15 year old from a 25 year old any more lol. --- Steve ---

28. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Got my posters today from Cassandra, " The Quick Chick" of the Moonlighter, The Executioner and the Boneshaker, TOOO COOL !! Everybody needs a few of these!! THANKS Cassandra !! Chris

29. OldColt

OldColt